PSN Down

Well some people keep moving the discussion away from the original subject. I'm perfectly happy to talk about the PSN being down, but frankly, there isn't really anything to talk about, except for coming up with theories why it's down. Personally, I'm gonna stick with hackers; not Anonymous, maybe just a group a people who got p'ed off that Sony won against Geohot.

Do you know it's hackers that's causing the problem and not a surge of players who crashed the servers?

And you're not happy to just discuss the subject as you keep name dropping to try and start a different discussion.

That's not a theory tbh, PSN did announce that their systems had been breached and they shut down PSN and another site they own, Anonymous claim it wasn't them many people think it was, personally I doubt it was after them saying they would attack it, but when it's hacked they claim not to be the source which if they did it they'd probably be saying it was them to show that they could if they wanted to.

Do you know it's hackers that's causing the problem and not a surge of players who crashed the servers?

And you're not happy to just discuss the subject as you keep name dropping to try and start a different discussion.

Well we know it's not that because we've been given a reason that has absolutely nothing to do with a surge of players or traffic management issues. If you're not going to believe, or at least entertain the official word then any conversation with you is going to be based upon 100% speculation, of which is most likely completely factually incorrect.

Well we know it's not that because we've been given a reason that has absolutely nothing to do with a surge of players or traffic management issues. If you're not going to believe, or at least entertain the official word then any conversation with you is going to be based upon 100% speculation, of which is most likely completely factually incorrect.

I was just enquiring whiter anything had been said about hackers breaching the system. So thank you or enlighting me.

I was just enquiring whiter anything had been said about hackers breaching the system. So thank you or enlighting me.

external - ?adjective

1. of or pertaining to the outside or outer part; outer: an external surface.

2. Medicine/Medical . to be applied to the outside of a body, as a remedy: for external use only.

3. situated or being outside something; acting or coming from without: external influences.

4. pertaining to the outward or visible appearance or show: external acts of worship.

5. pertaining to or concerned with foreign countries: external affairs; external commerce.

6. Zoology, Anatomy . on the side farthest from the body, the median line, or the center of a radially symmetrical form.

7. Metaphysics . of or pertaining to the world of things, considered as independent of the perceiving mind: external world.

* antihero

* vociferous

* conjugation

* paladin

intrusion - ?noun

1. an act or instance of intruding.

2. the state of being intruded.

3. Law .

a. an illegal act of entering, seizing, or taking possession of another's property.

b. a wrongful entry after the determination of a particular estate, made before the remainderman or reversioner has entered.

4. Geology .

a. emplacement of molten rock in preexisting rock.

b. plutonic rock emplaced in this manner.

c. a process analogous to magmatic intrusion, as the injection of a plug of salt into sedimentary rocks.

d. the matter forced in.

Did you not read the official statement? There has been a breach of security, whether it's a donkey or god or a homeless person or a legendary hacker that's done it, it has been done. Very similar protocol/effect has to be carried out by Sony regardless of who has done it. I doubt Sony even know exactly who has done it even now, but you can't take chances with security.

Although simple deduction would tell you an every day joe does not get access to a system like this by luck/randomness/some other factor not involving skill. You have to at least know a little bit about what you're doing.

By definition anyway, someone who breaches security through force and gains access illegally is not labelled as a hacker? I thought so, but I may be wrong.

So on some days, you will take the "official word" as true, and yet on others, it will be taken as a lie or PR stunt. You can't have it both ways.

You can't have it both ways.

Ohhh hunny, you don't know me, I can have it both ways ;)

I found out who did it. It was GLaDOS.

Actually, I think it was

Wheatley. We know how stupid he is.

:p (used spoiler tags for anyone that hasn't played Portal 2 yet)

And one who Externally Intrudes a computer system is called a "Hacker". Your post is pointless.

Well, when people keep saying they aren't sure why this is happening, maybe it is time you become educated in what the terms mean. Stop trolling, as my post was to another reply, which you obviously didn't even pay attention to.

And one who Externally Intrudes a computer system is called a "Hacker". Your post is pointless.

Well technically they aren't the term 'hacker' is misused in the modern day. A hacker used to be someone that was just more technical than the average person and was a lot more skilled with a computer, what's known as a hacker today used to be called a 'cracker' (I assume due to their ability of being able to 'crack' security) the terms have only altered because hackers were the only ones that could 'hack' a system.

Well technically they aren't the term 'hacker' is misused in the modern day. A hacker used to be someone that was just more technical than the average person and was a lot more skilled with a computer, what's known as a hacker today used to be called a 'cracker' (I assume due to their ability of being able to 'crack' security) the terms have only altered because hackers were the only ones that could 'hack' a system.

a cracker is a someone who circumvents DRM or any sort of protection to use a product like a pirated game (and not my latter defintion of a term used to described certain caucasians ;) )

a hacker is someone who circumvents security to gain entry into a system.

the definitions have changed over time, really thanks to that ol school movie hackers. what terms you would use to bring down a network is debateable. i would say it's a bunch of hackers because it's not like they are using PSN for their own purposes now.

Well, when people keep saying they aren't sure why this is happening, maybe it is time you become educated in what the terms mean. Stop trolling, as my post was to another reply, which you obviously didn't even pay attention to.

Don't worry I won't bother asking a question to get educated on the matter.

It's good to ask questions, but if you are going to keep asking the same question that has already been answered a number of times, then it might be time you start to read the post in the topic. There might be a lot of pages to this, but a little reading goes a long way.

It's good to ask questions, but if you are going to keep asking the same question that has already been answered a number of times, then it might be time you start to read the post in the topic. There might be a lot of pages to this, but a little reading goes a long way.

I asked once which could have been simply answered (and was, but in a sarcastic and patronising post). Didn't exactly need the pointless definitions of words, did I?

I asked once which could have been simply answered (and was, but in a sarcastic and patronising post). Didn't exactly need the pointless definitions of words, did I?

will both of you just shut the **** up. this place has become a cespool for a bunch of girlie men. psn is down, no one really knows why and you can't really trust sony because their track record of being trustworthy is kinda crap at best. there... done.

I apologize, but as many others have been getting it wrong, I figured I would finally see if the point could be passed along with good old definitions.

And neither do you, so don't think you're above the rest of us.

And it's a fair bet that they have been banned posting in the wrong section, because I just took a quick look at the PS3 General Discussion forum, and there are loads of different topics on the first page there asking about the outage, none of them locked.

And you got it all figured out I suppose, having just taken a 'quick look'? Gotcha. For the more reasonable readers amongst us, the threads in question are being deleted as fast as they're posted now and this is an escalation in the overall moderation of the topics since service was taken down last Wednesday.

Some have been moved, granted, but as of today people are being banned. Whether you like it or not apparently SOE community staff have come back from Easter not wanting to hear any more about it and are wielding the ban stick quite mercilessly.

Above the 'rest of us'? nah, above you? with absolute certainty.