Gmail Notifier Plus 2.3

FWIW, Also decided to get rid of the Skype style config dialog. It was a fun experiment, but I don't care for it over the familiar control panel style. So I'm putting together a control panel clone using the same visual style elements and positioning that the currently running visual style uses. I think it'll provide for a more native feeling experience.

Additionally, ssarabando (https://github.com/ssarabando) has been making some nice improvements using IMAP that I'm going to see about integrating.

Update on progress...

New control panel preferences ui is coming along nicely. It uses the same exact color values, font class and images that the actual control panel does. Had to dig through a ton of dlls and the aero visual style to find them all. Here's a preview:

6c6511cd613b27b76bb08786435d378f.png

That's a functional navigation area there. I hid the panels for each section because they're not yet complete. But you can get a feel for how its going to look. I've also made the window sizable, which was a complaint about the current preferences dialog.

I've also improve the jumplist a little bit. There has always been some confusion as to what the 'default account' does and why its even there (aside from being a legacy component from the first few versions of the app). Here's a preview:

c280a0cd372e5d61a507118d20e59728.png

Most importantly, we'll probably do two releases over the next month. The first is going to be a 2.4 beta, and then 2.4 final. That'll include all of my changes to locale, preferences, etc. The second is going to be 2.5 beta and 2.5 final, which will include contributions made by 'ssarabando'.

Anyone have any thoughts on adding calendar support to this? I dont have any UI ideas just yet, but Google announced theyre ending support for Google Desktop and Gadgets and associated APIs. Which means that the calendar widget I've been using with Google Desktop will no longer work. For me, that's problematic.

Would anyone else get any use out of adding Google Calendar support?

Anyone have any thoughts on adding calendar support to this? I dont have any UI ideas just yet, but Google announced theyre ending support for Google Desktop and Gadgets and associated APIs. Which means that the calendar widget I've been using with Google Desktop will no longer work. For me, that's problematic.

I don't use a calendar, or Google desktop, so if it was me, I would rather just have this app for Gmail.

I signed up just to express the fact that I would absolutely get use out of Google Calendar support. I toggle between this and Scott's Gmail Alert because the latter supports Google Calendar. It would be great to stick to your excellent program full time if you add it.

Thanks!

That's not the first time that I've heard a reference to Scott's Gmail Alert. I've tried several different versions; the UX is confusing and bloated, disorganized and I've never been able to get it's calendar function to show me anything, despite my calendar being littered with events. If anyone would like to post some screenshots of Scott's calendar function, I'll make sure what route I choose to go down for that ends up being better looking and better functioning than what Scott's provides.

I'm seriously considering breaking out calendar functionality into a separate application that can import account data from Gmail Notifier Plus.

That's not the first time that I've heard a reference to Scott's Gmail Alert. I've tried several different versions; the UX is confusing and bloated, disorganized and I've never been able to get it's calendar function to show me anything, despite my calendar being littered with events. If anyone would like to post some screenshots of Scott's calendar function, I'll make sure what route I choose to go down for that ends up being better looking and better functioning than what Scott's provides.

About Google Calendar support. The .NET API and libraries from Google are useful:

http://code.google.com/intl/sv-SE/apis/calendar/data/2.0/developers_guide_dotnet.html

Screenshots where Scott Gmail Alert calendar can be seen:

http://gmailalert.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=problem&action=display&thread=143

Screenshots where Calendar Reminders in Gmail Notifier Pro can be found:

http://www.gmailnotifier.se/screenshots.php

About Google Calendar support. The .NET API and libraries from Google are useful:

http://code.google.com/intl/sv-SE/apis/calendar/data/2.0/developers_guide_dotnet.html

Screenshots where Scott Gmail Alert calendar can be seen:

http://gmailalert.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=problem&action=display&thread=143

Screenshots where Calendar Reminders in Gmail Notifier Pro can be found:

http://www.gmailnotifier.se/screenshots.php

I appreciate the attempt, but those screenshots aren't really helpful. None of them show the actual alerts (if anything does happen there).

Thanks for the point a the .NET API for GCal, but that was my first stop a while back. The .NET API that Google wrote for the calendar are pretty awful at any rate. Massive and bloated, and an over-engineered and convoluted way of pulling some really simple data. Their POCO classes are solid and I've already pulled those into a project to use with a straight-up method of auth and pulling data. The means to get the data from GCal really isn't at issue here. I'm more interested in what the other apps have in terms of UX. And since I've been unable to get either to pull my calendar data, I'm in the dark. None the less, I think I have a pretty solid UX in mind.

First things first; Next GNP release.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on 2.4 development. Preferences/Control Panel is almost complete. I rewrote it (again, for the third time) and have some testing that needs doing before I release a beta.

(ignore the version number on this one, was testing something)

09ab9de7f91ba3a98070dc045a16a76d.png

f4vFc.png

8TFsT.png

B6KKt.png

aZgW9.png

Looks great. One minor thing. Will you be able to add initial support for the windows developer preview? I notice that new emails don't show up in the jumplist, but there is the number on the icon

I can only assert that it functions properly on WIndows 7. When Windows 8 final is released, support for that from me will depend on whether or not I install it. Thats the beauty of open source; if Windows 8 blows chunks and I don't install it, hopefully a developer with Win8 will pitch in and fix whatever issues there are.

I wouldn't recommend running Win8 dev preview right now. Its only for preview, not for everyday use.

Wish List:

I use Gmail notifier plus primarily at work and would love to have a "stealth" feature where I could use an alternate, less recognizable icon and/or description of the label. It could be as simple as using a notepad icon or something other than the Gmail logo. Leave the new message count and everything else the same, just something to prevent people walking by and always seeing gmail open on my machine. Other than that it's an awesome, lightweight app. I would only do calendar functionality in a separate app or make it an optional add-on.

Keep up the great work!

mikepfly2 - download 'reshacker' (also goes by 'resource hacker'). That'll allow you to change the icon of the exe, which is what the taskbar uses for the pinned app icons.

Ok, I think we're ready for a 3.0 beta push. I'll be putting together the package at some point before the weekend and will make the usual new post.

I am not attempting to start any fights however, I have a question. If I only have one account I am using is there a bonus or reason to use this rather than the Official Google Gmail Notifier?

imho it has a slicker appearance and more options. i was originally attracted to it specifically for it's multiple account ability.

"but why not use program x instead?" is the bain question of software developers. it all boils down to which application/appearance/function you personally prefer. if you decide to use GNP, i hope you enjoy it and report any problems you run into.

edit:

if i get the chance this week, i'll create a page on the wiki outlining the differences between the two apps. maybe that'll make it clearer for people. thanks for asking.

I've been running a build without any crashes for a week now so I think its safe to post a beta. I'm out of town at the moment so on Monday the 17th I'll post the beta and start a new thread.