One of the key features of Microsoft's Windows Live Essentials suite is Writer. Writer gives bloggers the ability to post to their websites with ease. It supports Wordpress, Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, SharePoint, Community Server, and many other popular services. With Writer, you get an instant preview of what your post will look like, along with the ability to easily add photos and videos. It also lets you install plug-ins for added functionality.
Today, Online Tech Tips' useful thing of the day involves Writer and how to bring it with you on the go. You see, to use writer, you have to install it as part of the Windows Live Essentials suite. However, this doesn't really help someone who jumps from computer to computer. Enter your USB flash drive.
Here's how to set it up (NOTE: To do this, you must be on a computer that has Writer installed)
- Download Windows Live Writer Portable
- Extract it to your flash drive
- In your flash drive, navigate to the folder called WindowsLiveWriterPortable (might be located in a folder called WLWPortable3, depending on how you extracted it)
- Open WindowsLiveWriterPortable.exe
- When a pop-up tells you that the file was not found, it will ask you if you want to copy you local installation of the program
- Select YES
- Navigate to the Windows Live > Writer folder
- Click OK
- Go back to your flash drive and run WindowsLiveWriterPortable.exe (it should now work on any computer)