Changes with the IPB4 upgrade

Here I will add certain changes that happened due to the upgrade, that will require you to make some changes for your own preferences, or changes we have introduced.

• Notifications options got reset, I have changed them all to display inline (notifications menu) you can change that behavior here (for email etc).
  • BBCODE is no longer supported.
  • Staff and Subscribers can add a cover photo to their profile
  • Tier 1 subscribers post editing permissions moved up to a full day (1440 minutes) Tier 2 subscribers have unlimited editing for posts
  • News comments now post to a mirrored forum thread in Front Page News
    - If you comment on the news article, it will display in the topic as well
    - If you comment in the forum thread, it will show in the news article
    - Quoting or replying to someone is also accounted for in the forum topic (by quoting the 'parent' comment
  • The theme has bugs, despite being started on in April it isn't completed yet, but we'll be tweaking it as we go (reports will be helpful).
  • Several forums have been turned back into discussions, since you can only choose Question or Discussion forums (not a combination of both).

This topic will be updated as we go along or people have questions.

What we know is broken

• Avatar (photos) are still being moved/converted over, this is almost complete
  • There are several bugs with the theme that we are still working on.
Edited by Steven P.

Updating during Windows10 release was a very bad idea.

Anyways, not having BBCODE is problematic. Can we use <strong>HTML</strong> then?

• Like 3

BBCODE is no longer supported.

5J127fg.thumb.jpg.409667cfded4239f39fe44

All those years memorising the codes and how they worked. All wasted. :(

Also it seems "Insert Other Media" and "Image from URL" seems to hang on loading.

The only thing I have really noticed is that a bunch of scripts are handcoded to load over http and not both http/https depending on what the user is using. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.ae564107b01261d4f58189

So it breaks SSL if you want to reply or edit your profile or do anything which uses jquery...which happens to be just about everything aside from reading posts. 

I think I've just fixed a bunch of those mixed-content issues - It won't help for member's images hosted offsite, but the javascript stuff for the editor should now work. Could you let me know if that's solved it?

• Like 3

I think I've just fixed a bunch of those mixed-content issues - It won't help for member's images hosted offsite, but the javascript stuff for the editor should now work. Could you let me know if that's solved it?

Dave! That worked great! Thank you!

testing with HTTPS Everywhere enabled

edit: testing edit. yes seems to be working now :)

• Like 3

The only thing I have really noticed is that a bunch of scripts are handcoded to load over http and not both http/https depending on what the user is using. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.ae564107b01261d4f58189

So it breaks SSL if you want to reply or edit your profile or do anything which uses jquery...which happens to be just about everything aside from reading posts. 

This (oddly enough) has always been an issue with IPB. It hasn't always had very good support for SSL anything (coming from personal experience on the matter).

most things seem to be working great through https now but i found 1 more major issue that hopefully should be too hard to fix

when viewing on https you cannot press prev or next to change pages on a thread

Is there a dark theme in the works to match the darkside theme on the frontend of the site?

I'm looking forward to this as well, but I think there are more pressing things that need to be fixed first like the 'insert other media' not hanging when linking a image offsite or getting the spy section working again

BBCode being gone is good. Surplus, just let people use HTML.

HTML has security flaws too.

Is there a dark theme in the works to match the darkside theme on the frontend of the site?

I've created a dark theme (steam inspired) which looks just like steam on both front page & forum and the width for the forum/nav is slightly tweaked to match the front page.

But I haven't release it yet. Still some bug that I need to fix. But here is the beta (which I only themed for the front-page)

Edited by kachan64

HTML has security flaws too.

I never said it didn't.

But BBCode is surplus to use. It was created by someone that thought they knew better and it is pointless. The world proved that any one could learn the basics of HTML when MySpace exploded with the worlds most screwed up profile pages.
Now i'm not against the option of being able to use BBCode, which is why it's good that Neowin bought it back, however it is a pointless tool.

I never said it didn't.

But BBCode is surplus to use. It was created by someone that thought they knew better and it is pointless. The world proved that any one could learn the basics of HTML when MySpace exploded with the worlds most screwed up profile pages.
Now i'm not against the option of being able to use BBCode, which is why it's good that Neowin bought it back, however it is a pointless tool.

Yes true. But new BBCodes can still be added and have HTML's functionalities too.

But even MySpace now looks like rest of social media like G+/FB etc

Yes true. But new BBCodes can still be added and have HTML's functionalities too.

That's what i'm saying though. Why bother adding things to BBCode, just learn the HTML instead. Much more relevent and every bit (sometime even more) as easy.

I like bbcode, we have used it for years and its worked for years. Why change it, it gives a level of html customisation without opening the server to some html code based attacks. :cry:

When replying on the front page articles (is that IPB4 as well?), why can't we break out of quotes without going to the forum and fixing it with an edit? If I hit enter, it just adds to the quote.

Also, there's no way to remove the italic style from the text, even when editing in the forum. If the user is replying to a quote, the reply must be in italics.

When replying on the front page articles (is that IPB4 as well?), why can't we break out of quotes without going to the forum and fixing it with an edit? If I hit enter, it just adds to the quote.

Also, there's no way to remove the italic style from the text, even when editing in the forum. If the user is replying to a quote, the reply must be in italics.

You need to line break twice and then you'll break out of it.

• Like 1

BBCode still works on default installs... bold.

Copy:

BBCode still works on default installs... [b]bold[/b].

...how do you not know the software you pay for and use...?