Inappropriate ads

Aren't ads usually based on tracking cookies of sites and web searches previously done on the persons PC?

Edit: just checked mine

Capture.thumb.PNG.11b29b996e8867b29b7d4a

Are you signed in? Those "Promoted Content" ads only appeared to me when I was not signed in. There is a debate to be had whether they should appear even when not signed in too...

Wasn't signed in so yeah.

Aren't ads usually based on tracking cookies of sites and web searches previously done on the persons PC?

Well these appeared at work, in chrome incognito eg, no cookies whatsoever or registry whatsoever.

If this was my home pc, then yeah, promoted content would be how shall I put it litely um XxX :shifty: 

• Like 2

I noticed this on a fresh iOS install last night. Granted I wasn't logged in but still was a bit :|

This is the type of thing that I'm worried about the future.

You're browsing on your laptop looking for sex toys then a few days later an ad for sex toys appears in your infotainment in your car. This happens when your riding with your wife and kids! :/ 

• Like 1

I was just thinking about all the Ashley Madison news articles lately I could see how easy it might be for ad algorithms to get it wrong. :D

This is the type of thing that I'm worried about the future.

You're browsing on your laptop looking for sex toys then a few days later an ad for sex toys appears in your infotainment in your car. This happens when your riding with your wife and kids! :/ 

That's why browsers have a private browsing mode i'd imagine!

That's why browsers have a private browsing mode i'd imagine!

It is a matter of time until IP targeted advertising appears.

It is a matter of time until IP targeted advertising appears.

I could happen, but until the majority of the internet is on IPV6 i'd argue that would be very unreliable with many devices sharing the same WAN ip address.

This is why i run Adblock on my work PC. I understand people need to get paid as well, so I don't mind donating every year to make up for lost Ad revenue off my machines on Neowin! :)

Yeah we're trying it out, it's guest only (and always will be) there are even fewer ads when you are logged in. I am keeping an eye on if it is even worth it (for the earnings and potential annoyance).

Yeah, they appear on my mobile... which somehow keeps logging me out. I don't think ads like this are appropriate for a tech website.

I like browsing Neowin when I'm in bed... and I just hope my wife doesn't see me browsing 'naughty' sites like Neowin.

If possible, please, disable these kind of ads.

Yeah, they appear on my mobile... which somehow keeps logging me out. I don't think ads like this are appropriate for a tech website.

I like browsing Neowin when I'm in bed... and I just hope my wife doesn't see me browsing 'naughty' sites like Neowin.

If possible, please, disable these kind of ads.

If you want us to keep adding hardware and features, including staff, it's a small price to pay. Not sure why you keep getting logged out.. that's a different problem.

I have to look for ads that don't take over the page or popup.. which people hate even more :p

If you want us to keep adding hardware and features, including staff, it's a small price to pay. Not sure why you keep getting logged out.. that's a different problem.

I have to look for ads that don't take over the page or popup.. which people hate even more :p

Agreed.

On a side note, when will subscriptions be active again? 

Yeah, you won't stop me checking Neowin every 10-15 minutes. I'd rather get into a fight with my wife than stop browsing Neowin. Just sharing my thoughts on the matter.

Once my financial situation gets a little healthier, I will once again become a subscriber to Neowin. :yes: I love Neowin.

When the developer makes an IPB4 version. But you can also PM me and we can do it manually. Just pay $28 (no ads) or $14 (with ads) to subscribe@neowin.net (PayPal) and in the description be sure to note both your member id (147340) and member name because email addresses aren't always the same as the member account.

Yeah, you won't stop me checking Neowin every 10-15 minutes. I'd rather get into a fight with my wife than stop browsing Neowin. Just sharing my thoughts on the matter.

Once my financial situation gets a little healthier, I will once again become a subscriber to Neowin. :yes: I love Neowin.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I do try to show less ads for those that are logged in.

• Like 2

Spoken like a true neowinian! 

Like the Vin Diesel Movie?

Yeah, if you're talking about the XXX rated mockup :shifty:

Back on topic: I maintain that those ads should appear even when not logged in.

I'm all for ads,  More revenue, moar neowin, etc.

Though shouldn't neowin be more honest/outgoing with it ads?  This is after all a tech site. What happens if, I, as a member ( non-subbed) post babe pictures? I will get a warning (granted I accepted the rules since I signed up). But showing babes for cash to any potential guest   to register is Ok?  Like I said, i'm all for ads, my thoughts and cents are just based on how we've gotten moderated within the forums, perhaps my logic is flawed. 

Cents anyway :p (nevar mind I enjoy teh babes :shifty: )

Though shouldn't neowin be more honest/outgoing with it ads?  This is after all a tech site. What happens if, I, as a member ( non-subbed) post babe pictures? I will get a warning (granted I accepted the rules since I signed up). But showing babes for cash to any potential guest   to register is Ok?  Like I said, i'm all for ads, my thoughts and cents are just based on how we've gotten moderated within the forums, perhaps my logic is flawed. 

Cents anyway :p (nevar mind I enjoy teh babes :shifty: )

I'm still angry about the death of the babe pictures thread personally.

• Like 3

wow. not seeing anything inappropriate... Of course maybe I just like looking at tight outfitted beautiful women...

*with ads like that I might have to log out and start coming here in private browsing so I get the good ads*

• Like 2

wow. not seeing anything inappropriate... Of course maybe I just like looking at tight outfitted beautiful women...

*with ads like that I might have to log out and start coming here in private browsing so I get the good ads*

:laugh: 

• Like 3