Only 0.2% of growth for Windows 10 in April

"The growth of Windows 10 continues, albeit slowly, the latest figures from NetMarketShare show. The statistics for April reveal that, at long last, Windows 7 is no longer installed on the majority of computers, slipping to a 48.79 percent market share. Windows 10 saw slight growth to 14.35 percent (up from 14.15 percent), and Windows XP dropped below 9.66 percent."

Source

I was under impression it will settle on the lowish ~1% monthly rate, but this is rather shocking.

Edited by Yogurth

Weird Netmarketshare trend ... regarding this ...

Windows 7 -

March - 51.89%

April - 48.79%

= 3.1% drop

Windows 10 -

March - 14.15%

April - 14.35%

= .2% gain

Windows XP -

March - 10.90%

April - 9.66%

= 1.24% drop

Windows 8.1 -

March - 9.56%

April - 9.16%

= .4% drop

Mac OS X 10.11 -

March  - 4.05%

April - 3.96%

= .09% drop

_____ All these equal to a decrease of 4.63%

OTHER

March - 9.45%

April - 14.07%

= 4.62% gain

What is Other?  What "other" could have possibly gained almost 5% market share in one month.

Just a weird data set .. seems really skewed.  If 10 truly only gained .2% ... that isn't good at all for Microsoft.  However, I'm leaning towards there is an error with however Netmarketshare collected the data this month.

Statcounter shows the following (I'm not going in depth as with the netmarketshare one)

Win 7 -

March - 41.68%

April - 40.59

1.09% drop

Win 8.1 -

March - 9.96%

April - 9.38%

.58% drop

____both equaling a drop of 1.67%

Win 10 - 

March - 15.05%

April - 16.31%

1.26% gain

16 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

What is Other?  What "other" could have possibly gained almost 5% market share in one month.

Just a weird data set .. seems really skewed.  If 10 truly only gained .2% ... that isn't good at all for Microsoft.  However, I'm leaning towards there is an error with however Netmarketshare collected the data this month

If I understand correctly from the pie chart at NetMarketShare website, "Others" represents a cumulative value for all the different categories for which user percentages, and changes were very small. Think of all the previous version of MacOS, Windows Vista and earlier.

I remember reading some folks have been experimenting with Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 lately - some attempts have been at running these either through web browsers, or on some platforms on which they were never meant to run. Many tech enthusiasts might have tried to reproduce this crazy experiment(s), hence the unusual uptick in "Others" category?

42 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

If I understand correctly from the pie chart at NetMarketShare website, "Others" represents a cumulative value for all the different categories for which user percentages, and changes were very small. Think of all the previous version of MacOS, Windows Vista and earlier.

I remember reading some folks have been experimenting with Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 lately - some attempts have been at running these either through web browsers, or on some platforms on which they were never meant to run. Many tech enthusiasts might have tried to reproduce this crazy experiment(s), hence the unusual uptick in "Others" category?

Yea...I get that.  But a 4.62 gain?  Just doesn't seem plausible for "others"...even if folks are experimenting with older operating systems?  If you go and look at the pie graph ...

April 

Other - 8.58

Windows NT - 2.54

Windows 8 - 2.95

Which gives you the "Other" desktop trend of 14.07%.  Windows 3.1 had a jump in .4% markshare...whaaa?  NT also jumped 2.47% from March.  So, netmarketshare is saying that Windows 3.1 and NT (assuming 4.0?) accounted for almost a 3% increase in marketshare since March?

March

Other - 4.94

Mac OS 10.10 - 2.06

Windows 8 - 2.45

Which give you the "Other" desktop trend equaling the 9.45% representing the other desktop trend

Anyway...just odd. :) 

56 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Weird Netmarketshare trend ... regarding this ...

Windows 7 -

March - 51.89%

April - 48.79%

= 3.1% drop

Windows 10 -

March - 14.15%

April - 14.35%

= .2% gain

Windows XP -

March - 10.90%

April - 9.66%

= 1.24% drop

Windows 8.1 -

March - 9.56%

April - 9.16%

= .4% drop

Mac OS X 10.11 -

March  - 4.05%

April - 3.96%

= .09% drop

_____ All these equal to a decrease of 4.63%

OTHER

March - 9.45%

April - 14.07%

= 4.62% gain

Just a weird data set .. seems really skewed.  If 10 truly only gained .2% ... that isn't good at all for Microsoft.  However, I'm leaning towards there is an error with however Netmarketshare collected the data this month.

Statcounter shows the following (I'm not going in depth as with the netmarketshare one)

Win 7 -

March - 41.68%

April - 40.59

1.09% drop

Win 8.1 -

March - 9.96%

April - 9.38%

.58% drop

____both equaling a drop of 1.67%

Win 10 - 

March - 15.05%

April - 16.31%

1.26% gain

First off netmarketshare uses funny math based on China and world's population even if only a fraction of Chinese own actual computers and not go to internet cafes or work pcs. So 1 Chinese XP install is counted 10 times. 

gs.statcounter.com counts actual hits and is more accurate and doesn't do funny math and multiplication. After all unless your users speak Mandrin who cares about IE 6 compatibility etc. 

But, many could just be switching to Linux due to the Windows 10 hate. I saw it with Vista. Linux exploded as many people do not like the pop ups and spyware and the UI changed which freaks people out who do not like change since it worked fine since Windows95. 

They will eventually come back. 

15 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

First off netmarketshare uses funny math based on China and world's population even if only a fraction of Chinese own actual computers and not go to internet cafes or work pcs. So 1 Chinese XP install is counted 10 times. 

gs.statcounter.com counts actual hits and is more accurate and doesn't do funny math and multiplication. After all unless your users speak Mandrin who cares about IE 6 compatibility etc. 

But, many could just be switching to Linux due to the Windows 10 hate. I saw it with Vista. Linux exploded as many people do not like the pop ups and spyware and the UI changed which freaks people out who do not like change since it worked fine since Windows95. 

They will eventually come back. 

Gotcha about the funny math.  After looking at March and April individually ... I just think (for whatever reason) the Windows 3.1 jump of .4% and NT's jump of 2.47% really skewed April's netmarketshare stats.  Linux actually dropped, according to NMS, .22% ... so I do not think it is the reason these numbers look funny.

Edit:  Also just realized that Windows 3.1 was released in April of 1992 ... so thought maybe it was an annual thing.  But April 2015 NMS stats do not reflect Windows 3.1 at all.  Not sure how a "24th Anniversary" would be any more special.  Maybe next year for the 25th.

Edited by jjkusaf
Edit: Windows 3.1

12 minutes ago, Torolol said:

wonder if this 'slowdown' also contributed by stuff like Never10?

To some degree - those apps will help prevent accidental upgrades, at least.

I think they've messed up somewhere, just wait for them to put out some newer revised report that makes more sense. 

Hmm, it would seems strange that their algorithm did make an error after of years of solid data, but I guess it is possible if they made some changes recently to it, and overlooked a bug or two.

Is this the first time Windows marketshare has fallen below 90% ? Also, it seems very strange to me that Mac marketshare would jump by 20% in one month's span. :huh:

12 minutes ago, Active. said:

Is this the first time Windows marketshare has fallen below 90% ? Also, it seems very strange to me that Mac marketshare would jump by 20% in one month's span. :huh:

yea...these are some odd numbers for the month.  Not sure if they can be trusted.  I mean...really...Windows 3.1 gained .4% ?  That is double what Windows 10 gained in the same time period.  :woot:

Capture.JPG

7 hours ago, George P said:

I think they've messed up somewhere, just wait for them to put out some newer revised report that makes more sense. 

If they showed windows 10 gaining 5% would you question it?

7 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

If they showed windows 10 gaining 5% would you question it?

Now, you have to admit that these numbers are quirky.  NT gained 2.47% (was at .07%) and Windows 3.1 jumped .4% (from 0%).

So...it really doesn't matter, IMO, what all the other numbers show ... something messed up here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...