Looking for software guidance

Question

Hi.

I have a collection of CD's that I would like to move the music from to be able to play on my Android phone.  I know that this will involve ripping the CD's and currently I was planning on doing this using WMP.  Not sure on what format but I am being told that this could depend on what software I intend to play them back on.

I understand that uploading them and streaming would involve licensing issues so this is why there is not an obvious solution that I can find.  I have a One Drive and Dropbox account if this helps?  I also currently subscribe to Spotify if this helps at all but quite happy to end this if there is a better alternative out there.

Many thanks for you help in advance.

3 answers to this question

So ... rip your music and upload it to Google Play and/or transfer it directly to your phone.  I believe you can store up to 50K songs on Google Play.

Step 1)

I haven't really used WMP to rip CDs in a long time (iTunes manages my song selection).  However, it shouldn't be difficult.  I would just make sure I'm ripping them as .mp3 (there are various "hiccups" with other formats that you can read here) ... and at whatever bitrate you prefer.  To change the format ... in WMP ... go to Organize > Options > hit the drop down on Format > select mp3.  Also be sure to note where the music is being ripped to.  

Step 2)  

Go to the https://play.google.com

Upload music

You can drag/drop all your music folders 

Step 3)

On your Android phone.  Go to the "Play Music" app.  

Hit the hamburger menu thing.  

Move the slider off on "Downloaded Only".  

Go to Settings.  Hit refresh.  

All your music should start appearing in your "Music Library".  Please note....all your music will still be in the "cloud".  If you want ...you can hit the three little dots by the artist/album/song and download them so they'll be directly on your device.  I have a few select albums directly on the phone in case I hit an area where I don't have service.

Now...if you don't really have a lot of music ... and just want them on your phone/computer.  You can do Step 1 and then... 

Step 2)  

Hook your phone up to the computer.  If prompted on your phone ... select "Media device (MTP).  Locate your media folder ... probably will be called (ironically enough) .. "Music".  Drag and drop your computer's music library there.

Note:  IMO, even though some people call it a resource hog or whatever.  I would just use iTunes to rip/manage the music.  I think the process would be easier than using WMP.

I just use plex to stream my music collection to any of my devices..

Sure windows media player makes it very easy to rip your CDs.. does mp3 format which some audiofiles might balk at, but sure its fine..  The wmp does make it easy since you can have it auto rip a cd and add to your library..  It then ejects the CD and you put in the next one, etc..

I don't use google play but that sounds like a way to get it to your phone as well.  If you just want music then there are other streaming software out there like subsonic, etc.  But should really check out plex for all your music/video streaming needs ;)