Windows 8.1 with Bing activation problem

So I have an issue with activation of Windows 8.1 with Bing on a Linx 8 tablet.

I bought two of them brand brand new as christmas gifts. One activated no problem, the other says "This product key doesn't work. You might need to get in touch with the shop or company you bought Windows from, or you can buy a new key from Microsoft."

Now I tried calling Microsoft and attempted the manual activation process (not the automated one, but with a real person. Who by the way, was very difficult to understand and I don't usually have an issue with that, intensely strong accent. He also tried to get me to press the windows key on my on screen keyboard for win+r even though it doesn't have one as far as I'm aware! Also asked me for my product key... I'm like, it didn't come with one! It's a tablet and Windows came pre-installed!)

Anyway, they said I need to contact the manufacturer because I didn't have a valid installation ID.

Wouldn't budge on this at all (even though the Bing variant is free for OEMs right?) I then tried the automated service and it also stated that I had an invalid install ID

So now I'm left with one of two Christmas gifts for my daughters two days before Christmas that's totally borked.

Obviously I have no doubt this could be sorted by contacting the manufacturer, and I will still try this tomorrow if I can actually get through. Fingers crossed!

But failing that, do I have any other options at all to fall back on so that it actually works 100% when opened on Christmas day?

I've been planning on buying these for my kids for over a months and was super excited to get them set up, put back in the box and wrapped up under the tree but unfortunately, this one is still sat here on my desk with this problem :(

Thanks in advance.

You could continue trying to activate on the slim chance that there is a temporary problem on Microsoft's end. Other than that, I can't think of anything you can do. Windows 8 product activation relies on the manufaturer storing your unique product key in the device firmware and then transmitting that key and a hardware hash/fingerprint of your device to Microsoft before it leaves the factory. If there was a problem with the steps they performed or some type of problem retrieving the key from the firmware now, then there's not much you can do. They may be aware of an issue with some devices and have a workaround for it. Otherwise, you will probably need to exchange it for a new one.

You could continue trying to activate on the slim chance that there is a temporary problem on Microsoft's end. Other than that, I can't think of anything you can do. Windows 8 product activation relies on the manufaturer storing your unique product key in the device firmware and then transmitting that key and a hardware hash/fingerprint of your device to Microsoft before it leaves the factory. If there was a problem with the steps they performed or some type of problem retrieving the key from the firmware now, then there's not much you can do. They may be aware of an issue with some devices and have a workaround for it. Otherwise, you will probably need to exchange it for a new one.

Windows /does/ give me the option to use an alternative key. Isn't there any chance that they can just provide a working key? Not sure if I'm going to be able to contact them or if their support will be any good, seems to be a fairly small company.

Windows /does/ give me the option to use an alternative key. Isn't there any chance that they can just provide a working key? Not sure if I'm going to be able to contact them or if their support will be any good, seems to be a fairly small company.

You usually don't hear of manufacturers giving out a new Windows product key, or even the same one for that matter. There are layers of Microsoft red tape to wade through. A unique key was supposed to have been generated, injected, and activated for that specific machine. Otherwise it's not properly licensed. That's true even if you enter it manually on that screen and it activates. Take it if you can get it, of course, but I just don't see that happening.

You usually don't hear of manufacturers giving out a new Windows product key, or even the same one for that matter. There are layers of Microsoft red tape to wade through. A unique key was supposed to have been generated, injected, and activated for that specific machine. Otherwise it's not properly licensed. That's true even if you enter it manually on that screen and it activates. Take it if you can get it, of course, but I just don't see that happening.

What really purplexes me is, how the heck did this happen in the first place? I saw a single other person out of around 50 reviews have the same problem on amazon. I just don't get it.

What really purplexes me is, how the heck did this happen in the first place? I saw a single other person out of around 50 reviews have the same problem on amazon. I just don't get it.

OEM Activation (O.A.) 3.0

Windows 8.1 won't consider itself genuine unless there's it can locate valid data on the BIOS.

The issue here is (likely) that the OEM fail to embedded the correct information into the BIOS.

Well, I contacted the manufacturer and they said they'd get a replacement delivered tomorrow for a swap. Brilliant customer service from a small company and a for a budget tablet if it all goes to plan!

Thanks for the help either way.