7 Japanese Companies to Develop CPU to Compete Against AMD and Intel

Seven large consumer electronics makers from Japan are developing a new microprocessor that will be able to compete against chips from Advanced Micro Devices or Intel Corp. The central processing unit (CPU) will be available for purchase starting from fiscal 2012. Initially the chip will be only found in consumer electronics.

The processor is developed by the pool of companies, including Canon, Funjitsu, Hitachi, NEC, Panasonic, Renesas and Toshiba, according to Nikkei Business News cited by various media resources. The development is led by Hironori Kasahara, a professor of computer science at Waseda University, who has also developed special software that controls power consumption of microprocessors in accordance with actual load and amount of data that needs to be processed.

The prototype processor, which yet has to be named, is expected to consume 70% less energy than typical once, according to Forbes. Low power consumption will allow the chip to work even when there is no sufficient amount of energy available during natural disasters.

Obviously, the new chip will not be compatible with x86 instruction set as well as the vast majority of software on the market. As a result, the only market for the processor will be proprietary consumer electronics, including HDTVs, Blu-ray disc players and so on. Therefore, it cannot be said that the processors will compete against AMD and Intel directly, but may rather represent a threat to ?x86 everywhere? strategy of the two U.S.-based companies.

The microprocessor project is supported by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, with an initial capital of ?3 ? ?4 billion ($32.5 million ? $43.3 million).

Full article: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._and_Intel.html

They will never provide a real threat to the X86 or X86_64 markets because they are too deeply ingrained into modern computing. To me, with the manufacturing might behind this product I would have thought they would have actually came up with a more impressive idea than this.

Keep in mind they are only focusing on using these CPUs for their own commercial and consumer hardware products which all those companies in the consortium are very diversified in. So, don't expect those CPUs to come to computers anytime soon.

I think that as Linux etc become more common and were adapted or developed around new technologies like processers there could better support it, where as windows 7 is already tied with intel it would be harder to develop new compatibility with chip makers.

Obviously, the new chip will not be compatible with x86 instruction set as well as the vast majority of software on the market. As a result, the only market for the processor will be proprietary consumer electronics, including HDTVs, Blu-ray disc players and so on. Therefore, it cannot be said that the processors will compete against AMD and Intel directly, but may rather represent a threat to ?x86 everywhere? strategy of the two U.S.-based companies.

If they're not x86, they're not competing with Intel/AMD. Sounds like their aiming to take on ARM, if anything.

More innovation. Lower prices for the consumer. These are good things for everyone. However, it will no doubt hurt USA x86 market which has been one of the bread and butter markets here.

'Buy Intel or AMD because it is the patriotic thing to do!' is what we will be hearing next.

Fantastic news for us, higher standarts push others to deliver better and cheaper.

Thanks

Don't get all excited, it's at best a new CPU for your Toaster / Blu-Ray / TV / Tivo player... I don't think it's going to replace your Wintel/AMD CPU.

More innovation. Lower prices for the consumer. These are good things for everyone. However, it will no doubt hurt USA x86 market which has been one of the bread and butter markets here.

'Buy Intel or AMD because it is the patriotic thing to do!' is what we will be hearing next.

Did you read the article?

New OLED TV`s and other stuff will have better prices with this... so its a great thing for all.

I support this group development, the labels also win cause they can develop way better things and lower prices than working by their own.

I think the future is gonna be more like this than few big companies. The World and companies need to stick together more often not only in tech, in political or cultural subjects.

New OLED TV`s and other stuff will have better prices with this... so its a great thing for all.

I support this group development, the labels also win cause they can develop way better things and lower prices than working by their own.

I think the future is gonna be more like this than few big companies. The World and companies need to stick together more often not only in tech, in political or cultural subjects.

Yes, it's certainly a nice advancement even if it isn't competition for Amd/Intel.

screw that i just want Toyota to make hard drives.

:rofl:

Even when your PC is shot to hell, the HDD just keeps going! :laugh:

FTA: "the new chip will not be compatible with x86 instruction set"

Nothing to see here, move along.

/I hate sensationalist, false headlines.

Agreed.

I opened the thread expecting some talk about how VIA has somehow gotten a partnership and would finally be able to gain some marketshare with their x86 chip and that would be a serious threat...

Just another special purpose CPU. There are more of those than you can shake a stick at lol.

Just another special purpose CPU. There are more of those than you can shake a stick at lol.

It's all you're ever going to see though, because Intel will not license the x86 instruction set to anyone (they did once upon a time in a land far, far away though, which is how AMD and VIA can make them).

What's wrong with ARM?

You have to pay ARM money to use their cores. Does there have to be anything "wrong" with it though? More diversity and choice is good.