Battery Monitor.NET

Battery Monitor.NET v0.7

What does it do:

The application displays a monitor on your desktop which represents the battery in your laptop.

This way it is easy to monitor the status of the battery.

The nicest feature is that it is able to calculate the remaining time left for you to work on the remaining battery power. Some laptops support this via the BIOS and some don't, Battery Monitor.NET works regardless of the availability of this feature.

This means that Battery Monitor.NET can display the remaining time on ANY laptop.

This piece of software is still under development, it is not finished and might contain bugs.

Some features are still disabled, but will be implemented in further releases.

NOTE:

If the remaining time seems inaccurate then this is because it is calibrating. The first 5 minutes it could be that the monitor displays a very short battery life, this will change soon enough. After 5 minutes it should be fairly accurate.

This is only on the first time you run the program. Ever next time you run the program the application reads back the previous calibration and will display accurate results.

If you have any questions about it or have suggestions, please let me know. I can be reached at:

marcelhoffs@gmail.com

Have fun with it! I hope it is usefull for some people.

Download Battery Monitor.NET (with installer)

Revision History

version 0.1

- Initial release

version 0.2

- Recompiled against .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

- Added manifest to fix themeing issues

- Added NSIS installer

version 0.3

- Added an option to change the color of the text and the text shadow

- Added access to the context menu via right clicking the monitor

- Added alerts (battery full and battery critical)

Version 0.4

- Added timer

- Added shortcuts for the preferences window and the timer window

- Added fade out to alerts

- Added option to make alerts automatically fade out after X seconds

- Added custom opacity levels for different monitor states

- Made preferences window resizable (usefull? hardly, but you can resize it if you like)

- Make the link button on the themes page open the website in the default browser

- Cosmetic changes

version 0.5

- Systemtray icon now mimics the battery monitor, so it shows you the status of you battery

- Added option to fade between monitor transitions

- Fixed the fact that you can't change the opacity when no battery is detected. You can now control the opacity of this state with the "charged" slider

version 0.6

- Added "click through" option

- Updated the trayicons

- Changed keyboard shortcuts

- Added two new themes (Speedometer and Speedometer Small)

version 0.7

- I have no idea what changed, I just probably fixed some bugs

Screenshot:

BatMonScreen.png

Edited by Schmoove

I think I'll stick with the stock battery monitor, because memory usage with this program fluctuates up to 300mb. Now I'm not one of those guys that cries when a program uses more than 5mb, I have 512mb of 400mhz dual channel ddr, but 300mb is a bit much for a battery monitor.

I think I'll stick with the stock battery monitor, because memory usage with this program fluctuates up to 300mb. Now I'm not one of those guys that cries when a program uses more than 5mb, I have 512mb of 400mhz dual channel ddr, but 300mb is a bit much for a battery monitor.

It uses 17mb here, of which 95% is due to the .NET framework (can't do much about that).

It uses 17mb here, of which 95% is due to the .NET framework (can't do much about that).

I thought .Net wont let you use voer like 30MB or something? To prevent memory leaks. How is 300MB possible :s

sends my cpu mad ran it twice and crached boths times, seems like a big bug please do something to fix it i want it bad

as a feature not sure if its got this, can you set it so it can run a program / audio alert when its done charging / half battery life left

After launching it, it takes up 99% of my CPU and over 200mb of ram. A little battery icon displays in the tray, but it appears empty (and the ltop is plugged in and 100% charged).

Looks cool, but, well, don't work :-P.

Possible bug?

Font size was set to 975 when loaded and now monitor icon will flash by start icon and then disappear.

Is there any way to get this icon to dock in taskbar? Othen then that this looks to be a nice little app.

I also at first run had a mem usage of over 260mb. way too much for me. If it was down under 1mb I think that'd be nice.

I think this is a great idea and everything but the bugs are too many for me right now.

Don't know what the problem is, tried it on 2 laptops and it works fine on both.

Though I'll take a look, can't promise anything though.... if I can't reproduce it, I might not be able to fix it.

strange prob after it freezing the system all it loads in a strange ovel screenshot bellow

That looks like the letter "o" at an extremely large size :s Possibly the first o in Monitor? :unsure:

strange prob after it freezing the system all it loads in a strange ovel screenshot bellow

Try to open the XML file and change the <size> tag to a value of 10.

(it normally says 9,75, which works fine here, but if it for some reason reads it at 975 you will have a problem)

Infact, if I change it to 975 it indeeds eats your RAM and makes your CPU go ballistic. So change that value to 10 and it should be alright or use this XML preferences file:

Preferences.zip