Videogame prices set to rise on next-gen consoles

$59.99 or higher being eyed as a potential price point for next-gen launch titles

Software for next-generation home consoles looks set to be more expensive than current titles, with comments from leading publishers such as Take Two, Activision and THQ all pointing to premium price points for AAA next-gen titles.

Speaking at the Banc of America Securities Consumer Conference yesterday, representatives of all three companies indicated that higher prices for software are inevitable on the next-gen platforms - the first of which, Xbox 2, will launch later this year.

Price points of $59.99 or higher were mooted for AAA games on the new consoles at launch - but other titles may be priced less expensively, with THQ acknowledging that its children's titles may not be able to sustain a $49.99 or higher price point, while Take Two simply said that its next-gen games would be priced higher "where appropriate".

This strategy is likely to see a two-tier structure emerging for game pricing, where premium titles command a premium price point of $59.99 or more, while less important games are sold for between $39.99 and $49.99 - much closer to the current price point.

While the cost of developing next generation games will undoubtedly be higher than current development costs, the proposed price hike is less to do with development, and more down to a desire among publishers to expand their margins - with the hardware transition apparently seen as a perfect chance to accomplish this by bumping up software prices.

Leading US retailer Electronics Boutique, which also presented at this week's conference, also acknowledged that prices were set to rise in the coming year - but like the publishers themselves, made it clear that the market would only sustain premium prices on certain products.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7480

sounds no different to current prices, uk anyway.

unless $=? rule comes into affect, as always.

Gotta love those greedy game companies, they are just ASKING for more people to pirate their games. I remember a few years ago when N64 games were $60 a pop. If i'm paying that much for a game, it better be damn good.

I will only buy the game if I want to play the online multiplayer feature and if the game is worth. Half-Life 2 is the first game I bought since Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I will only buy the game if I want to play the online multiplayer feature and if the game is worth.  Half-Life 2 is the first game I bought since Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

585630001[/snapback]

Thats exactly what those gaming companies deserve... :pirate:

Raise your game prices? Fine, I?ll just get more use out of my newsgroup reader;);)

If that was the case, and normal market forces were in place, us gamers in the UK would be paying just over ?30 for a game:DD

However, rip off Britain, and whatever else will conspire to make the exchange rate system null and void, hence $1 = ?1, and games will be getting stupidly expensiv:angry:y:

that sucks, although its not like i'll be buying a Xbox 2 anytime soon, especially if it isn't reverse compatible...I'll wait for the system to drop about $100, by then, hopefully the games will drop by then too.

I dont even remember what the last game i bought was, I have other ways of "buying" games. <: )

I will however buy BF2, for multiplayer.

I don't see a problem here, it was inevitable. Think about it, AAA games have almost always cost about $50, and the value of the dollar has dropped considerably in the past years, so it seems about time to up the prices, even if it's not much. It was BOUND to happen sooner or later.

I have always preffered PC games because the prices are much lower and are more reasonable. Still, at least consoles innovate with games like... Tekken 8; Resident Evil 7: Could We Be More Bored?; Sonic 9; GT6: Same Game, Prettier Menus; GTA6: The Stone Age, etc. Oh... maybe I was wrong. :whistle:

so i imagine the systems will be $300+?? :no:

wasn't going to buy a next gen system, but with those prices, kids won't have any fun unless their parents are rich.

so i imagine the systems will be $300+??  :no:

wasn't going to buy a next gen system, but with those prices, kids won't have any fun unless their parents are rich.

585630982[/snapback]

Uh, systems are almost always $300+. PS2 was $300 for a long time before they lowered it.