Microsoft to sell Windows XP N in matter of weeks

Microsoft, following lengthy discussions with the European Commission, will start selling an edition of its Windows XP operating system without a version of its media player ? Windows Media Player.

The new stripped down version will also have a new name, the punchy ?Windows XP Home Edition N" so consumers won?t be confused to which version they are buying.

According to an interview with Reuters, Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft's associate general counsel for Europe, said the name had been suggested by the European Union's executive after it rejected 10 suggestions by Microsoft.

"We have some misgivings about the chosen name, as we fear it may cause confusion for consumers about the product, but we will adopt the Commission's name in order to move forward and accelerate the pace of the implementation process," Gutierrez told Reuters by telephone on Monday.

The edition, named "Windows XP Home Edition N" or "Windows XP Professional Edition N" would be sold in "a matter of weeks," Gutierrez said.

The Commission?s order was implemented to force the software giant to allow users to buy alternative software to play movies and music from competitors like Apple and RealMedia rather than being bogged down from the start with the Microsoft Media Player.

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=1062

Stupidest name in the w:xld.. :x

I still don't agree with the decisions of the EU, so I hope people are confused and by the regular version. WMP isn't bad, its actually pretty good and is a much better universal media player than either quicktime or realplayer(yuck).

The name is awful... but apparently better than the names Microsoft suggested (Reduced Media Edition, anyone? :rolleyes:).

what makes me sick is that the guy that came up with that name is rich from microsoft's marketing dept. :no: :( :blink: :wacko: :pinch:

N? What a weird name :huh:

I thought until an hour ago that it was stupid having a version of Windows XP without WMP - I know Microsoft had to do it otherwise they'd get sued by that stupid comission.

But I accidentally upgrade WMP9 to 10 which I hate so I had to spend ages using XPLite to get rid of WMP10 as it's embedded in the OS :no:

N is for "Now you're screwed when you want to play some tunes!"

585685259[/snapback]

LOL :laugh:

WTH's wrong with having a small Media Player in the OS?

The name is awful... but apparently better than the names Microsoft suggested (Reduced Media Edition, anyone? :rolleyes:).

585685226[/snapback]

I prefered that name as it showed exactly what it was.

Okay guys. First of all Microsoft is obviously ****ed about this whole situation. I personally think they don't give a damn about it given their creative enthusiasm reflected in all their suggested new names. IMO they essentially slapped the EU in the face and calling them silly ****s by using "Microsoft Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" in the first place... I can't emphasize this enough with this new official name either. It's obvious marketing strategy to NOT use any negative reference in a product title. I hardly doubt that Microsoft's European marketing division just so happened to forget this implicit rule of thumb; i.e. they're basically juicing what fun they can out of this whole debacle. And if there were 10 other suggestions and the EU settled on this one then think about what the other 10 were... ("Microsoft Windows XP You May Download WMP10 At WindowsMedia.com Home/Professional Edition" ... "Microsoft Windows XP Oh Wait You Can't Play Your Music, Sorry Home/Professional Edition GRAGH" ... "Microsoft Windows XP Negative Multimedia Prowess Home/Professional Edition" ... "Microsoft Windows XP Starter-esque Edition Home/Professional Edition" ... "Microsoft Windows XP No-XXX Out Of the Box" ... "Microsoft Windows XP BYOB" ...)

I'd bet N stands for Neutered. However, the EU would have a fit if that was spelled out.

So who is going to buy Windows XP Neutered? Anyone?...Anyone at all?