Middle school bans hugs

Middle school bans hugs

Centennial students not keen about new rule on 'PDAs'

By Brittany Anas, Camera Staff Writer

April 29, 2005

Administrators at a north Boulder school on Thursday banned hugs in the hallways, which has some middle school sweethearts complaining that blooming spring love has been nipped in the bud.

"I mean, how are you supposed to say'bye to your girlfriend?" asked Centennial Middle School eighth-grader Noah Hahn.

During an intermission at a school musical Thursday night, Noah, 13, and his 14-year-old girlfriend, Scooby Phillips, mockingly gave each other a high-five, demonstrating what they said administrators at their school told students to replace hugs with. Noah and Scooby, who have been going out for about a month, said they will probably continue to hug.

Centennial Assistant Principal Becky Escamilla said that some concerned sixth-grade teachers asked the administration to spell out policies surrounding "PDAs" — jargon for public displays of affection.

"There was some sixth-grade romance going on," she said.

Escamilla said the school is not anti-hug.

"We just want our kids to be appropriate at school and focus on academics," she said.

No students were punished on Thursday for hugging at school, Escamilla said. It is unclear what the punishments for public displays of affection will be.

Ellen Miller-Brown, the Boulder Valley School District's middle-level director, said most schools have rules about showing affection.

"At academic institutions, principals do their very best to keep students focused on school," she said.

Students at Centennial aren't embracing the new hug rules, though.

Sixth-grader Amma Maya, 12, said teachers on Thursday told her and her classmates that hugs between girls need to be limited to a couple of seconds, and they can only put their arms around one another's shoulders.

"It's so evil!" said Amma, with so much emotion that her silver hoop earrings started swinging with her hand expressions. "It's so mean."

Amma estimates that she gives and takes a total of about 20 hugs during a typical school day.

Students said they were told they can't hug in ways that they are contacting one another in places that bathing suits are supposed to cover. Students said they started a "hugs not drugs" petition, asking teachers to give them back their hugging and hand-holding privileges.

"I think hugs should be OK," said eighth-grader Hayley Thomas. "It's not like kids are making out. It's ridiculous."

Parent Diane McCarthy, who's on the board of the school's parent-teacher organization, said her seventh-grade daughter told her that "no one can hug anymore."

Her daughter is one of the students urging the school to return their right to hug — almost a necessity for middle school girls.

"They get to school, they hug," McCarthy said. "They leave school, they hug. You would think they hadn't seen each other for a year."

Camera Staff Writer Amy Bounds contributed to this report.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Brittany Anas at (303) 473-1132 or anasb@dailycamera.com.

Source: http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/schools/art...3738889,00.html

Hahahah, some of that is hilarious. :D

nothing new really, back in 5th grade; about ten years ago at my school, we had an assembly talking about no "Public Displays of Affection". of course that was a private Catholic school.

Im sorry but I dont see the point of 13 year olds dating anyways. None of them understand true love, so why bother? because it's the in thing I guess. But, judging by the amount of divorced people in the world, I guess there really isn't an age to see real love. (not to say thats what causes all divorces but yeah it is a factor in alot of them or at least of people I know personally)

Im sorry but I dont see the point of 13 year olds dating anyways. None of them understand true love, so why bother? because it's the in thing I guess. But, judging by the amount of divorced people in the world, I guess there really isn't an age to see real love. (not to say thats what causes all divorces but yeah it is a factor in alot of them or at least of people I know personally)

585849421[/snapback]

I hug lots of people that I don't date. I'd be ****ed if hugging was banned at my university. Obviously, that wouldn't happen, but still. I think hugs are good for the soul.

Im sorry but I dont see the point of 13 year olds dating anyways. None of them understand true love, so why bother?

585849421[/snapback]

Realistically people don't really know much about themselves or life until they are about 25 so let's not allow hugs until then... :rolleyes:

Realistically people don't really know much about themselves or life until they are about 25 so let's not allow hugs until then... :rolleyes:

585849515[/snapback]

Lol cause we all know how everyone is exactly the same :p

While I do agree with the sentiment that pre-teens and young teens do not entirely represent any actual relationship, as it is increasingly a way to be 'cool,' I feel that it is another way of experiencing social relationships. Schools have emerged not only as academic centres, but also as a social environment. Students are finding out their identities and moving through puberty. They must learn how to interact with their peers, especially the opposite sex. Banning anything only restricts one's growth.

I remember being in grade eight. I was so social-conscious, I wanted to look cool. I wanted to get chicks, despite that even then I knew those young relationships were worthless, and I was so awkward. It was a learning experience, but I'm glad I'm past it. Why restrict the lives of these young individuals? It is so politically correct at schools it's frustrating.

school officals just need something to justify they are trying to do something for academics. i can see it now someone in that school dies and no one can give another a hug for comfort. im sorry for your loss, "Hi-5!"

I got a lot of hugs, because I was so fluffy and cute (and fat!! [not anymore]) (#^_^#)

But no girl really cared about me in a romantic way, so I don't care! Death Penalty! :p

585849421[/snapback]

I'm afraid you are missing the point of childhood. I childs growth occurs in steps, like steps on a ladder to success (forgive the cliche). To say that they dont know true love is simply not correct. they may not understand what it takes for marriage, but think for a second that about how one gets to marriage. through trials and errors. these children are begining to learn about one emotion that can only be mastered, or learned to its full extent, by simply trying it out. there is no one recipe for learning how to love, ad by taking away loves building blocks, the schools are in effect, contradicting their true nature, and this a place for children to learn and grow, in all aspects of their life :)

Well my elementary didnt exactly ban hugging but the teachers didnt like it. Plus the fact that it was actually rarely a guy and a girl, but rather the girls just HAD to hug every time they saw each other, as if they havent seen each other for years at a time. My high school doesnt care though.