ANOTHER shark attack in Florida today!

This is weird:

Florida Panhandle: SECOND shark attack in three days

PENSACOLA, Florida (AP) -- A teenage boy was airlifted to a hospital after being attacked by a shark off Florida's Panhandle today, two days after 14-year-old Louisiana girl died from a bite to the leg from a shark.

The boy, whose age and name wasn't immediately released, was bitten off Cape San Blas and was taken to Bay Medical Center in Panama City.

Hospital spokeswoman Christa Hild said. The boy's condition, and the nature of his injuries, were not immediately released.

Cape San Blas is a narrow spit of land protruding into the Gulf of Mexico from Gulf County, about 100 miles southwest of Tallahassee.

Source

Sucks for their tourism, I am sure this will make some people a little weary.

There are normally 30 or so attacks here a year give or take. Sometimes they are weeks apart, sometimes there are 3 or 4 in a short period. Its all random, and there is nothing unusual about these attacks, other than people are getting hurt (and killed in some cases unfortunetly)

When man and shark are in the same area, sharks usually win.

586128379[/snapback]

the surfer that brought the girl who died back to shore actually punched the shark in the nose when it was swimming around his legs. I thought that took some balls.

Is it me or does it seem that shark attack stories happen in bunches? Kind of eerie. Sad, too.

586128108[/snapback]

There are normally 30 or so attacks here a year give or take. Sometimes they are weeks apart, sometimes there are 3 or 4 in a short period. Its all random, and there is nothing unusual about these attacks, other than people are getting hurt (and killed in some cases unfortunetly)

When man and shark are in the same area, sharks usually win.

This isn't even close to Pensacola, where I am. Why in the world they (AP) are reporting this as if it was in Pensacola beats me. :wacko:

the surfer that brought the girl who died back to shore actually punched the shark in the nose when it was swimming around his legs.  I thought that took some balls.

586128388[/snapback]

Balls which were subsequently bitten off. ;)

Seriously, though, that sucks about the most recent shark attack. Gotta be careful in the ocean. That's why I stick to swimming pools. :laugh: :ninja:

Like LOC said, florida has the most shark attacks in the world (i believe heard this a few times). And you have to understand this (takin from a local board i vist):

...most of the "attacks" are simple mistakes on the sharks parts, they think we are their normal diet, "taste-test" us and decide we arent what they were looking for. Unfortunatly a taste test by a shark can be very dangerous. And I love how people always say the shark was following them wanting to eat them...If the shark seriously wanted that girl or her resuer, neither of them would have made it back to shore. Alittle common sense in the water can go along way though, I have been in situations were I had to keep a weary eye on them (mainly with a catch bag full of speared fish) but just use your head and dont lose your cool and you will make it out alright. There are alot more things in the water that kill/injure more people than sharks. ..

Its a shame, but don't forget its the shark's natural habitat - they have more of a right to reside there than humans do!

People should administer more care when in the water!

This isn't even close to Pensacola, where I am.  Why in the world they (AP) are reporting this as if it was in Pensacola beats me.  :wacko:

586128421[/snapback]

Cool, someone else from the area. and your right, this is no where near pcola.

SCary stuff, I will be there in a few weeks for alittle vacation time.  Guess I'm going to be sunbathing alot more than I planned.

586128516[/snapback]

Go in the water, just don't go past the first sandbar (you'll know when you do) and stay away from fish and use common sense, you should be just fine. where you vacationing?

gees, meanwhile, 3,000+ people died in car crashes daily in florida... wow 2 people die every 20+ years and its in the news lmao

3000+ die in crashes daily? wow. the more this is on the news the more likly it will be for all those tasty tourists to see it, which mean its less likly for more the get hurt or even killed.

Cool, someone else from the area. and your right, this is no where near pcola.

Go in the water, just don't go past the first sandbar (you'll know when you do) and stay away from fish and use common sense, you should be just fine. where you vacationing?

586128559[/snapback]

Mexico Beach second week of July. Gotta stock up on shark repellant.

This is one of the reasons that I don't like the ocean. The other reasons are, being out of shape, jellyfish, not being able to see what is in the water, and riptides.

I live by deerfield beach, and my friend and I have never seen 1 shark attack in the 16 years we've lived here. But, I can say that this is not unusual during this time of year (summer) for florida july-august warm water.. sharks are known to swim more in shore to look for food. After, when the water gets colder they move back offshore. If people come to south florida (south beach) I was there a few weeks ago there's 1000's of people swimming. (not to mention the hot chicks also swimming) it's not really affecting south florida but more of the upper panhandle.