Course they can do that - read the terms and conditions carefully. 190GB plus with a 40GB a month limit is a bit over the top. If you want to download that much, find a better ISP - there's plenty out there.

Their 2nd option of cancelling the service and migrating to a different ISP is fair enough in my book - BT are rife anyway :)

I just got home from work to find a letter from BT on my doorstep and they've fined me ?150 for going over my 50Gb limit!

The letter states that I downloaded 198Gb in October, that I get a 50Gb limit and that they are charging me ?1 per Gb for everything over 50Gb - ie ?148. (Im on a BT 2Mb line)

They say they wrote to me on 17/09/05 but I don't remember getting anything. I'll be the first to admit I do a lot of downloading so I'm not complaining about that but can they do this with no warning?

Has anyone else got a letter like this??

A copy of the letter is attached - It's not very clear (as I took a photo of it lol) but hsould be clear enough...

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I've never started a thread before lol)

Just cancel and move to a new ISP. I cant read that letter properly, but I couldnt see anything to say that they'd come after you for the 150 if you didnt pay.

I don't see why he should pay it when the letter states he can choose not to pay it and move to a different ISP? Seems like a waste of money to me, especially as they're giving him the option to avoid paying it with no comebacks.

You should switch provider if you can. I'm on blueyonder 4mb for 25quid a month with no cap and reliable speeds. I've downloaded 36gb in the last 4 days, I'd be ****ed if I was with a provider that capped my downloads.

Edited by Brodel

You downloaded 198GB in one month??? Just a suggestion maybe you should get out more! Also with that high amount I wonder how many illegal downloads you had there. Not good.

i used to work with BT

ring up customer services and complain, this will be passed onto the complaints departments after 10 day sthey will get back to you, what ever they say to you, make sure you still not happy and that you want to take the matter further, after 30 days you will be contacted by a manager of BT who will take it further

While this is happening they can NOT suspend your service, if they do then contact OFCOM as BT would be in breach of their agreement with you

contact me if yo uneed any further info

Definately change ISP. I pay ?39.99 a month with Firefly for a 2mb fully unlimited ADSL service. You might think that is expensive, but other providers claim they are unlimited, but have fine print that means they can cut you off if you do things that could adversely affect other users, ie download too much. Be very wary of those sub ?15 services that claim to be unlimited, as they will likely cut you off if you go over a certain amount on a regular basis. Besides, BT Broadband is rubbish anyway. Check out http://www.ispreview.co.uk and choose the Top 10 link in the menu. Firefly is number 4 I think.

Definately change ISP.  I pay ?39.99 a month with Firefly for a 2mb fully unlimited ADSL service. You might think that is expensive, but other providers claim they are unlimited, but have fine print that means they can cut you off if you do things that could adversely affect other users, ie download too much.

586844209[/snapback]

Yeah, I personally don't mind paying more for a service that isn't going to be cripppled. For example. Plusnet's traffic shaping. They claim no limits, but after 15GB of usenet you get shaped to insanely low speeds - I was pulling 7Kb/sec at one point. I'm no longer with Plus :))

Ouchy...

Seems you've no choice but to pay though... Couldn't they take it further if he starts being funny about it?... If they suspected it was for illegal use?

That sucks though...

Switch to AOL, they don't whine they in 3 years ive been with them have never been off-line, customer service is now 10p per minute better than premium rate per minute.

I download legal torrents and mostly music, do about 3 gig per day.

Can't understand though how you did 200gig in one month.

Ouchy...

Seems you've no choice but to pay though... Couldn't they take it further if he starts being funny about it?... If they suspected it was for illegal use?

That sucks though...

586844281[/snapback]

No, the letter says he can choose not to pay but then has to migrate to a different ISP.

You downloaded 198GB in one month??? Just a suggestion maybe you should get out more! Also with that high amount I wonder how many illegal downloads you had there. Not good.

586844173[/snapback]

Ever heard of the queue feature? :) Doesn't mean s/he's home all the time ;)

I moved from BT cause they cut me off 56k for downloading too much, and said i was affecting other 56k users...what a load of bollocks. Braodband customers affect the network, not lowly 56k users.

I'm now with Virgin.net for boradband at home, however they've silently changed their terms and cond. to unclude a cap on downloading - even with their 'unlimited' plan.

I'd suggest you find a proper unmetered ISP. And while I hate to say it, AOL seem the better. Just DONT use their software. It'll kill your PC and make it cry.

Don't get me wrong guys - I don't have a really big problem with it - I admit I do abuse the service to some extent and have been expecting this for a long time! I would happily pay a higher monthly fee to BT in exchange for a higher cap but I'm already on the highest one now. Surely with more and more ISPs offering faster connections they have to increase the caps accordingly...

I'm not going to comment on what I download - A lot of you know the score there. I don't really mind paying to be honest I was just surprised to get the letter really! More surprised than angry - Especially asI know its my own fault!! BT have been threatening this for what seems like years now and it's the kind of thing you never think will happen to you! lol

it says at the bottom of the letter- if you dont pay within 30days- we will cancel your service- just do that- move on to another ISP. im soo glad i moved from BT in august. all of BT's service caps were to take affect in september onwards.. and its rediculous.!!

i mean, u pay good money, ?27/month for a decent 2mb service and they limit you on how much you can use- its totally insane.!!

i moved to bulldog (having heard bad things about them i was worried) but they were fantastic.!! they gave me a free second line- installed it all- free wifi modem/router (even though i didnt need one) and excellent 6mb out of possible 8mb service (2km+ away from my local phone exchange!!).

i now usually do about 600-700gb downloading per month (usenet:pp ) from my usual 200gb on my 2mb line with BT. no caps- no complaints from bulldog and no complaints from me.:DD