My New Aquarium Screensaver - give it a try!

Hey all,

I've created a new virtual aquarium / screensaver, and i need folks to try it out on all kinds of hardware. People have been very happy with it so far. Here's a still:

moss_angeles_547.jpg

You can download it at: www.dreamaquarium.com/download.html

and the main site: www.dreamaquarium.com

Please let me know if you have ANY problems installing or running it. I'm in the troubleshooting phase.

enjoy! :)

alan

Edited by spiralmonkey

lan left Hollywood inspired by a loftier goal - to use his highly developed programming and animation skills, and his love of fish, to create the ultimate virtual aquarium.

NOW THAT just sounds way too funny

Alan left Hollywood inspired by a loftier goal - to use his highly developed programming and animation skills, and his love of fish, to create the ultimate virtual aquarium.

NOW THAT just sounds way too funny

:)

It's nice. I have 2 questions:

1) How much processor does it take up?

2) How well does it support dual monitors?

i've been trying to keep the processor use as low as possible, and the calculations of the aquarium themselves are nominal (it barely registers any activity if i'm not waiting for the graphics card). The BIG draw is the graphics rendering and the fact that the cpu needs to wait for exactly the right time to display the image to eliminate the 'tearing' effect (VSYNC). Believe me, the cpu usage is a big concern of mine because i work on a laptop and i don't want it sounding like a jet engine when the screensaver is running. my laptop is 3.5 years old and this SS doesn't even get the fan worked up (and that's at 60 fps). Let's say it uses way less CPU than almost every aquarium SS i've tried. This is something i intend to investigate further once i release it. I will also add a SS disable when running on battery.

it currently DOES support dual monitors - if you hit ENTER and move your mouse to the other screen it will let you change settings for that tank. i don't currently have a double-wide image, it just puts another tank on the other screen. the fish can be adjusted for each monitor.

Do you also take suggestions...like a hotkey to feed the fish, as well as random feeding locations would be cool. the mouse is a little inconvenient as i close my laptop lid and run it on my lcd tv.

got this error...

edit: i'm running windows 2000 sp4, matrox millennium g400 dual head in dual monitor mode...

post-12131-1135124978_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmmay

very nice- (easily the best i've seen) ran max resolution (1800x1440x32) on dx settings perfectly with fish #s pushed close to max :) (i'd say 75%)

(opengl stuttered a bit)

specs: (xp2)

1.2amdathlon

1024mbram (pci133)

aiw9600pro(128mb) - fast write on, agp 4x (drivers: omega2.6.71)

and the paging file is 1536mb in size on a seperate hd that's 1540.

possible additions:

the pirate skeleton /w the treasure chest! :D

Edited by Dark_INk