My New Aquarium Screensaver - give it a try!

Really good! Found the easter egg too =P. Anyway, what's the internet connection for?

GShapiro: How do you run it with AA? Thanks ^^.

I set it in my video drivers via my ATI Control Panel. It's system wide. There doesn't seem to be aa/af support in the screensaver itself.

Great screensaver, runs perfectly on my 900Mhz, GeForce 2 MX 400 in OpenGL mode, in fullscreen mode with the default amount of fish, if i mash the keyboard (1,2 and 3 keys) it slows down a tad

and post a picture of your Oscar! :D

thanks for the tip spiralmonkey, but you're right...this card is a bit too old it still doesn't run at all. looks like it's time to upgrade hehe

Well, the tank / reflections look absolutely great and the movement of the fish is very well done but the fish themselves look awful and the bubbles are incredibly fake. I look forward to seeing this develop and it definitely has potential but it's not very good at the moment.

Filed this one under G really quick. Sorry I refuse to use a screensaver that REQUIRES internet access to use. Denying access crashed it.

this came up in another forum (two actually), and somebody looked into it for me. First, I agree it's a big no-no for software to access the internet without permission. In this case (as far as i understand it), on some machines a windows .dll (that DA uses) does the inet access. Here's what someone who looked into it wrote back:

The application tries to connect to 131.07.115.28 aka clr.microsoft.com so it is harmless...

if someone else has insights i'd love to know more about this. It doesn't happen on my end (i also use zone alarm)

Be aware however that every 2 weeks DA beta will ask you to update your version, although you have the option to 'ask me later'. This is for your benefit as well as mine since, as we have seen, there are still some issues to work out and i don't feel comfortable with buggy versions out there. It's in our mutual interest for you to be running the latest, most stable version. i'm still receiving error reports for bugs i fixed a long time ago, because those beta testers aren't updating.

but I uninstalled it because it has that dreamaquarium.com text in the bottom. It totally ruins it.

In 2 days you won't even notice it's there. You'll be happy to know the release version will not have this.

About the "BAD MATRIX" error report and the "message from NULL sender" errors. Thanks to people's error reports i'm narrowing in on these issues. Once again, it shows up on a minority of people's machines, which is why beta testers are so important. Other reports are highlighting other issues that i'm still unsure about. Keep those reports and emails coming and hopefully i can fix those problems too.

thanks for your interest, support and feedback!

alan

P.S. it wouldn't be an easter egg if you didn't have to hunt for it! ;P

Edited by spiralmonkey

What ive seen in some screensavers and would be quite usefull in this one is that you can make them so they dont close unless a certian key is pressed (usally esc) i think that would be a great option esp as its rather annoying if you hit the wrong key and close it rather than add a fish or whatever...

Somehow I made the fish ghost, or leave a trail, when I used the L button to switch display modes (widescreen to fullscreen was where the issue started I THINK) I didn't get a screenshot, sorry.

My video card is a 6600GT. Neat screensave otherwise! The deep blue background is a little plain, I like the idea of having a background with no ground but some neat lighting would look cool.

EDIT: I realized it now happens all the time, but only when its "full screen." Got a screenshot for you.

post-74137-1135213767.jpg

Edited by soypowered

It uses an msi installer, that must be what is checking for updates. That's annoying but it's Microsoft's doing not the authors. I really hate the Windows Installer thing. Not just for going online but for freaking out every time I delete a useless file or shortcut and trying to reinstall the entire program. Sometimes it starts trying to reinstall a program for seemingly no reason.

Back to the screensaver, I love the fact that you can feed them. I haven't seen that option since way back with HP Mopy Fish.

Edited by TRC

When using this screensaver, my monitor will not go into standby mode. I have it set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes, but it won't do it. It works fine with other screensavers. My roommate has the same problem. Anyone else?