ATI Cards and Code 43 Error

I've got and All-In-Wonder X800XT (AGP flavor), and have been getting the Code 43 error since Beta 2. With RC1 out and fresh new RC1 drivers from ATI as of today, this problem still isn't fixed. Obviously not a widespread problem, but very aggravating to those of us who experience it.

I'm running an AMD X2 3800+ on a Gigabyte motherboard with an NForce 3 chipset, but I've seen people report the same error on a variety of motherboards, chipsets and different generations of ATI cards (9X00, XX00, 1X00, etc).

One other peculiarity I've noticed with this problems is that no monitor drivers load, and there isn't even an entry for a Monitor in Device Manager. If I load XP drivers, a monitor will show up in Device Manager , but of course the XP drivers don't support WDDM and are prone to Blue Screen crashes.

Any ideas? If not, at least post your specs and maybe we can find the common denominator.

D

i have had the same problem with my 9800pro and my x800GTO, IMO i think its the motherboard, as i dont get how 2 of my graphics cards both dont work and get the same error... just to strange.

What mobo/chipset are you using?

a very crap pc chips board, M848alu - cheap... so that leads to my reason why i think its the mobo and not my graphics cards.

OK, someone over on www.<< spam >> posted a easy solution which fixed the code 43 problem.

Go into device manager, expand the "Computer" and right click the ACPI Computer, and choose "update driver software" -> "browse my computer..." -> "let me pick from list...". Then choose the only other option that is available, which should Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC. After making this change video worked as it should, including Aero with all the eye candy.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, this worked after some trouble.

It was BSODing on startup. Had to boot into safe mode and uninstall the display driver.

So uninstall the display driver when doing this and let Vista redetect and reinstall the driver on next reboot.

Now it works great.

All it managed to do is make it so I can't boot Vista now, even in safe mode. I uninstalled the video drivers like suggested but now it just hosed. I have been looking for a fix for this everywhere for months so I was really hoping this was it. I'm running a X2 3800+ on a ASRock 939Dual Mobo with a Uli chipset and have never got Vista running with my x800 XL (AGP) since I upgraded to this MOBO. It ran great with my old socket A mobo. I thought it must be the something with the AGP bridge but the XP drivers work fine, just no aero. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

OK, someone over on www.<< spam >> posted a easy solution which fixed the code 43 problem.

Go into device manager, expand the "Computer" and right click the ACPI Computer, and choose "update driver software" -> "browse my computer..." -> "let me pick from list...". Then choose the only other option that is available, which should Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC. After making this change video worked as it should, including Aero with all the eye candy.

Hope this helps someone.

I tried this plus uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and still no luck. each time it reboots i get the code 43 error. I'm on day two of looking for a fix but i'm starting to get annoyed.

BTW I have an ATI 9800 Pro and i've been trying to use the Beta Drivers for RC1 (i have RC1 as well)

I hope someone fixes this soon.

Yeah ATI with VISTA driver support SUCKS BIG TIME..

Sorry about that, but i could never get my Radeon Mobility 9600 ( directx 9 compliant ) with 64MB to pass the fuc*ing device manager error code 43..

Since november when i started to test vista builds it never worked... So no AERO Glass for me ( 64MB works with Glass )...

I've tried what the folks here said about ACPI, but just freezes my machine and it doesn't remove error code 43..

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

BAD ATI, REALLY BAD ...

I have a HP Pavilion Zx5051EA <-> P4-3.06 <-> 512 RAM <-> 80HDD ....

Any help is really apreciated.. Thanks..

not really myne run perfectly hassle free lol...

beta 2 and RC1 drivers.

I'm talking about mobility radeon's..

My Desktop works great 9800 XT 256MB..

But ati vista mobility card drivers just suck :angry: :angry: :angry:

All it managed to do is make it so I can't boot Vista now, even in safe mode. I uninstalled the video drivers like suggested but now it just hosed. I have been looking for a fix for this everywhere for months so I was really hoping this was it. I'm running a X2 3800+ on a ASRock 939Dual Mobo with a Uli chipset and have never got Vista running with my x800 XL (AGP) since I upgraded to this MOBO. It ran great with my old socket A mobo. I thought it must be the something with the AGP bridge but the XP drivers work fine, just no aero. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

I have the same video card and mobo as you so I'm in the same boat. I'm going to reinstall Vista x86 and see this works any better for me.

Same problem here.

I have the x1600 agp 512mb which is supposed to be vista ready; however, I have never been able to use this card with any build of vista since before beta 2.

I tired the ACPI fix; however, I get a black screen and go no further.

I will probably never buy another ati product...their drivers are just crap.

I might have found out my problem. When i first install vista rc1 everything works fine. I noticed that vista gave me a 2.8 on my harddrive transfer rate so I try to install my system drivers for my Lanparty NFII ultra rev. b and that is when my video screws up. Its not the sound drivers for the board. I think it has something to do with the IDE drivers. I didnt' use the beta nforce for this so this might be my problem.

I'm still testing this theory but i'm pretty confident that this is my problem.

A note to other, there might be a driver conflict that is causing the ATI card to crash. Possibly IDE related drivers. (not Raid b/c i installed my Highpoint RAID drivers and had no problem, just IDE drivers.

Same exact problem here, though I have yet to test this in RC1 because I can't get it installed, and I haven't tried the new RC1 drivers from ATI yet. I have the Radeon x800GT AGP (from Sapphire), ECS L7S7A2 mobo. You'd think with this many error reports coming in, MS would have done something about this problem by now...I'm disappointed to see that it still exists in a release candidate.

Alright, I have fixed my problem. It was infact the IDE drivers that was causing my the error 42. Like i stated before, My video card worked perfect when i first installed, then crashed after I installed the XP drivers for my nfII chipset motherboard. I did a system restore and know it is working fine. I let windows update install the nforce drivers itself and everything is running smooth.

know i just have to wait for symantic, alcohol 120% and a couple of other company's to get on the ball and start making stuff that works for vista. Its like windows XP all over again with program compatibility. :angry:

has anyone found a fix for this code 43 error?

my x700 on my laptop works fine- but my desktop x800 o/c to 850xt always says code43- i tried safe mode and safe mode picks up the card fine-but only when loading windows into normal mode it gives problems.

Solved my ATI x1600 problem. Bought a BFG Geoforce 7800 GS AGP card from CompUsa and now have Areo Glass and could not be happier.

My advice...

Drop the crappy ATI card on ebay and buy nVidia. As a long time ATI user I realized I had only been buying ATI cards because the boxes are cool. ATI drivers are simply crap.

Solved my ATI x1600 problem. Bought a BFG Geoforce 7800 GS AGP card from CompUsa and now have Areo Glass and could not be happier.

My advice...

Drop the crappy ATI card on ebay and buy nVidia. As a long time ATI user I realized I had only been buying ATI cards because the boxes are cool. ATI drivers are simply crap.

ATI are badly built, never had one last more than 11 months.

nVidia however still got a 6 year old one running and my current one is nearly a year old.

My advice...

Dropping money on new hardware for Release Candidate software is...tragic. I am postive that this issue will be resolved by the final release of Vista/ATI's Vista drivers.

For the record, my graphics card (9800 Pro) has never worked properly with any build of Vista, including this one. Code 43.

Hope this helps someone.

THANK YOU for posting this, my code 43 is FINALY gone and i have FULL Glass back!!!!

i've tried that fix and it worked..!!! brillaint...

but only problems im having now is that its affected my dual core- windows only picks up a single core :( im thinking its not a good idea to install the xp drivers from amd on vista-cuz bsod's are most likely..

I hadn't even noticed, but the fix killed my dual core support as well. At least that's what task manager shows. Device manager still shows two processors, but I suspect only one is being used.

Any ideas on how to force dual core support? I know I had dual core working before I "fixed" the ATI drivers.

it looks like it disables the second core- i tried playing some HD stuff and it absolutely puts my comp to its feet. stutters all the way. i tried to go back to the previous setting but it doesnt appear anymore once u've changed it. :(

one option to "force" dual core would be to install the amd xp drivers- but it may bsod vista. i dont wanna try it atm cuz im using vista as my main OS - via dual boot.

go on.. Polydactyl- try the AMD driver for me.. :p