ATI Cards and Code 43 Error

I foolishly installed the XP NF2 chipset drivers, and I think it caused my code 43. I'm going to format and re-install vista (seeing if I have code 43 from install, because when I originally installed I had aero/glass). I'll post back with what I find out.

I tried this plus uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and still no luck. each time it reboots i get the code 43 error. I'm on day two of looking for a fix but i'm starting to get annoyed.

BTW I have an AIW x800 XT and i've been trying to use the Beta Drivers for RC1 (i have RC1 as well)

I hope someone fixes this soon.

any solution????

• 2 weeks later...

STILL not fixed in RC2! I would wager that this issue is NOT going be fixed for RTM...

I have to choose between a 640x480 60Hz resolution OR running my DUAL CORE proc in single core mode (which, oddly, fixes Code 43 for video card...)

*Sigh* I suppose I'll file ANOTHER bug report like I did with the previous CPP builds and HOPE blindly that it might get fixed before Vista ships...

Time to go back to an OS that works: XP (I'm posting from within Vista, my eyes burning in this 60Hz resolution...)

And before anyone points out that this is BETA software... do realize that we are less than a month before RTM... this is a MAJOR issue and should've been fixed before even RC status!

System specs for anyone who is curious:

Mobo: Gigabye K8U-939 - Uses the ULi M1689 chipset

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+

RAM: Corsair PC3200 1GB (2x512)

PSU: 480W Antec Power Supply

GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (which worked just fine on an Athlon XP system... the same exact video card)

Are ALL systems that use dual core processors and use an AGP video card affected by this STILL UNFIXED problem?

Indeed. I've tolerated a lot of bad press about Vista, but this is definately a problem that should have been solved well before the Release Candidate stage.

This has decided for me that I will not be buying Vista straight off the shelf. Microsoft will not be getting my money until I have confirmation that this problem is solved.

If it's not solved by RTM, then I will not be a happy camper.

EDIT: I'm on a single core Athlon XP 2600+

Fixed for me on my laptop in RC2. Seems there are two separate error 43 issues with ati cards. I've had the problem in all prev builds, this is on a single core Pentium M with an ati x700 pro pcie.

Indeed. I've tolerated a lot of bad press about Vista, but this is definately a problem that should have been solved well before the Release Candidate stage.

This has decided for me that I will not be buying Vista straight off the shelf. Microsoft will not be getting my money until I have confirmation that this problem is solved.

If it's not solved by RTM, then I will not be a happy camper.

EDIT: I'm on a single core Athlon XP 2600+

Edited by dfua

Fixed for me on my laptop in RC2. Seems there are two separate error 43 issues with ati cards. I've had the problem in all prev builds, this is on a single core Pentium M with an ati x700 pro pcie.

Wondering if the Monitor Standby issue has been resolved yet?

Edit: the is the 3rd time i post this message .. either i posted in on different thread or i must be blind and not see my message ><

Still have the problem here too on RC2, but I did an upgrade to 5600 instead of a clean install. I don't have a reason to believe the outcome would be any different for a clean install.

The worst part is, I'm still not even sure whether to blame Microsoft or ATI.

Well. I figured I'd drop my experience here.

I as well have (Code 43) appearing on my x800pro videocard under Vista build 5600. After searching several forums and tring a lot of the things suggested, the only thing that seems to make any difference is enabling/disabling dialcore support in the bios.

System specs:

Mobo: Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 ULi 1695 chipset (ULi M1695/ ULi M1567)

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+

RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC3200 1GB (2x512)

PSU: 480W Antec Power Supply

GPU: ATi Radeon x800Pro

Anyways, clean install with dualcore disabled, Vista runs quite nicely. Enable dual core, and the videocard gets that error code.

VERY annoying. I have yet to report anything to ATI, Microsoft or Asrock/ULI(nvidia). You know. Conspiricy theory. Nvidia (via the ULI drivers) did this directly to break ATI videocards!@ j/k. hahah

Well.. I'll keep searchin/tryin and fill in more if I find anything. Take it easy peeps.

Para

There are some people reporting the Code43 error on systems with nvidia cards as well; my guess is that it's a general error relating to some sort of fault in Vista's codebase.

Edited by ANova

There are some people reporting the Code43 error on systems with nvidia cards as well; my guess is that it's a general error relating to some sort of fault in Vista's codebase.

i guess it's something with "APIC" and/or "SMB" driver or something like that related to system resources, which is usually a "chipset"/"mainboard" driver package problem. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I forced the install of Catalyst 6.4 XP drivers and they install without code 43 error. It now gives me a rating of 1.9 for Aero (still not enough to enable it) but still 1.0 for 3d gaming.

Seems to be running OK.

Tried 6.9 catalyst drivers and got a BSOD before Windoes started.

What is different in 6.4 XP drivers to Vista Drivers?

Can you 'fool' vista into enabling Aero?

No matter how well they work for other things, XP drivers won't ever enable Aero since they aren't WDDM capable. The performance rating is largely irrelevant in terms of whether Aero gets turned on or not.

ATI is supposed to put out new drivers "shortly" (whatever that means), so the best advice would be to have patience and hope ATI gets it right in the next driver release.

• 2 weeks later...

I really getting sick with this error code 43 crap!!!

Everytime a new build of ATI drivers or vista build cames out and i can test it, i pray the the fuc*ing error code goes away, but always the same sh1t... :angry:

I can't believe a super huge company like ATI ( now with AMD behind ), can't hire some good developers or software engineers..

I have send reports to microsoft and ATI since windows vista beta 2!!

And always the same ****!! :no:

I have a HP Pavilion with a motherboard IGP 9100 and a Radeon Mobility 9600, HP doesn't give a sh1t!!!

I have tried with installing ATI SMBus driver, the AGP port driver and every solution i have found in the internet with no luck..

I own a small company that gives support for networks in companys, and damn if i had the same suppot quality that microsoft and Ati have, i would be out of work..

BF MCSE - Microsoft Certified System Engineer

Did you try the new driver they just posted today?

Works fine for me..

My friend :rolleyes: , that's why i'm very ****ed off, i did try them just now before posting this topic.. ;)

I'll second that. I'm still getting the Code 43, so I guess this means we can expect the same when Vista goes RTM.

And to think i had so much trouble sending lot's of reports to the 2 companys, hoping that by RTM it would be fix.... :no:

Microsoft i have learn a good lesson, no more beta testing from me for you... It doesn't worth it.. :crazy:

I haven't had any problems with the ATI drivers on my x1400 in rc1 up to rc2. Oh well, wait for final drivers and RTM to complain.

Yeah wait for RTM... :rolleyes:

Don't you get it, this is almost 99% RTM release, Vista RTM is days from release, no driver bugfixing are going to be made that could screw lot's of others users with so small testing time..