Sony sold 88,400 PS3s in Japan in 2 days

Sony Corp. sold 88,400 units of its PlayStation 3 game console in the first two days after the launch in Japan, leaving most stores without any stock, video game magazine publisher Enterbrain said on Monday.

Sony started selling the latest version of its blockbuster game console in Japan on Saturday, and all indications point to a strong start. Sony plans to have the PS3 on shelves in North America on November 17, followed by a European launch in March.

According to Enterbrain, Sony sold 88,400 units combined on Saturday and Sunday, depleting stocks at most electronics retailers that were able to get their hands on a limited supply of the console.

Sony was able to ship only 100,000 units for the launch after a glitch in blue laser diode production disrupted its output plans.

An official at Enterbrain said the sales figure could be interpreted as a promising start for the PS3, with thousands of game fans queuing for hours at electronics stores in Tokyo over the weekend to be among the first to play PS3 games.

The PS3 is up against Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, which has been on sale for the past year, and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s upcoming Wii game console, which is scheduled to go on sale on November 19 in the United States and December 2 in Japan.

Enterbrain said that Ridge Racer 7 and Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight, both from Namco Bandai Holdings, were the top two selling games at about 30,000 units each.

The basic model of the PS3, equipped with a 20-gigabyte hard disk drive, sells for 49,980 yen ($425), while a more advanced 60-gigabyte version is retailing for about 60,000 yen.

Of the total sold so far in Japan, Enterbrain said 54,600, or about 62 percent, were of the more advanced model.

Source

Strangely, i was expecting more.

There was only going to have 80,000 so really they did 8,400 better :p. I plan to get a PS3 but I admit there launch numbers are sad.

' date='Nov 13 2006, 19:39' post='588043635']

The xbox 360 managed 62,135 sales in its first 2 days in japan. So sony is still ahead of those numbers

and would probably of been more if more than 80,000 were shipped :whistle:

how many 360's was japan given?

' date='Nov 13 2006, 19:39' post='588043635']

The xbox 360 managed 62,135 sales in its first 2 days in japan. So sony is still ahead of those numbers

I hope that's not surprising to you. Sony could take a dump in a box and label it Playstation and the Japanese would still pick it up faster than the Xbox (metaphorically speaking, of course).

-Spenser

We all know that in Japan, the 360 sits on the shelves and catches dust while the PS3 sells out in seconds. Microsoft hasn't targeted that market like they should've and they are paying for it.

microsoft did target the japanese market but somehow the japanese wasnt interested in the system nor the games at all. they had the 360 club/house thing, and their promotions were there

This is just the beggning.. soon we will see PS3 outsold the competition and see Xbox Fanboys say the sales data aren't true :laugh: :laugh:

It will be interesting to see the total sale numbers after Nov. 17 compared to the 360, I think a lot of people are being turned off by the price. 2 of my friends who were planning on getting it decided not to, and they were huge Sony fanboys, and the rest of my friends didn't want one in the first place because they knew they'd be expensive. But that's just me and my 14-year-old friends, I think Sony is aiming for the older audience this time, skipping over even the teens.

i don't think Microsoft needs Japan, or money like Sony does :D

if the ps3 failed sony are in deep trouble, if 360 fails Bill might get a lil drop of sweat running down his forehead :laugh:

Is anybody really surprised? Not only is it cheaper in Japan than anywhere else, but it has home-court advantage and an immense fan-base in Japan.

This is just the beggning.. soon we will see PS3 outsold the competition and see Xbox Fanboys say the sales data aren't true :laugh: :laugh:

You're hilarious. Who is going to take you seriously with a sig like that?

^It's hard to take a lot of you guys seriously as well, by that logic.

Personally, I'm surprised it took them two days. I was actually expecting all of them to sell out on the first day. Such is the support for the PlayStation brand in Japan.

EDIT: That's alot of money

But remember, Sony is losing money on every Playstation 3 sold. :p

So when you think about, Sony had a negative number for a profit :D

(But if you were talking about money in general that the consumers spent, then yes :laugh:)

dont see any xbox fanboys with anti sony stuff in thier sigs apart from thier gamertags or pics of games that are out..... ooooo but lookie lookie you have something thats anti 360, maybe theres nothing good to say about the PS3, or you are too ashamed to put it in.

It's pointless being a fanboy..

You play what you play, you use what you use.. whatever gets the job done for you.

Plain and Simple.

btw how much are the games in Japan?

We all know that in Japan, the 360 sits on the shelves and catches dust while the PS3 sells out in seconds. Microsoft hasn't targeted that market like they should've and they are paying for it.

Too true.

Microsoft's marketing in Japan was pathetic.

They can only blame themselves for the sad state they are in.