Longhorn Beta Reloaded, Awesome Project

untitled-1.jpg

As every longhorn fan knows microsoft canceld the longhorn project and started the new os "Windows Vista"

Microsoft abandoned some builds of Longhorn OS, now is my question to you are we, longhorn fans: allowed to make GUI Modifications and redistribute the ISO with our modifications in it?

My idea was to discuss what features we longhorn fans want to have in longhorn, and try to create modifications and add them to one of the latest builds, to continue microsoft it's work on the Longhorn OS.

then maybe we can put all our creativity all together in one new Longhorn OS!! Just to put all modifications we made for Windows Longhorn in a stable and good looking build of microsoft and make it our Joejoe build of Windows Longhorn Operating system!!

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2913/do...tallcopylw4.jpg

Please Join And Help :

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?show...c=2094&st=0

programmers needed

"Ok guys, we (the staff) have made a decision on what is warez and what not.

Longhorn is now (for us) Abandonware, as the project known as "Codename Longhorn" has been canceled in December 2004.

After that, the developement of the now known OS "Windows Vista" has begun from scratch, based on the core of Windows Server 2003, which is a different one from Longhorn (which was .NET).

Ok, and here're the facts which should be realy interresting for you:

Windows Codename "Longhorn" Build 36xx - 4094 is ABANDONWARE and we'll tolerate download links, torrents, etc..

Windows Vista Build 5048-Final is WAREZ, apart from the build which will be pulically avialable (like Beta2, RC1, RC2, Gold).

Feel free to enjoy "longhorn" now ."

As every longhorn fan knows microsoft canceld the longhorn project and started the new os "Windows Vista"

Microsoft abandoned some builds of Longhorn OS, now is my question to you are we, longhorn fans: allowed to make GUI Modifications and redistribute the ISO with our modifications in it?

Of course they are allowed to redistribute things they don't own (or have permission to distribute). :laugh:

yes but joejoe did talk with microsoft and nick white and they decided that longhorn is "Abandonware" I'm ms oem and would not take part in illegaly distributing windows without MS's permission

You're clearly an idiot too if you believe this joejoe character. ANY code that has been written by MS, including builds as old as these in question, is still owned by MS. They wouldnt let code out like that, as a lot of it is very similar to that used in Vista.

You're clearly an idiot too if you believe this joejoe character. ANY code that has been written by MS, including builds as old as these in question, is still owned by MS. They wouldnt let code out like that, as a lot of it is very similar to that used in Vista.

No Cursing or Swear words.

We encourage you to use our Communities as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper adjectives to express yourself. We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter or abuse upon another member.

No Racism, Threatening, Personal Attacks, No (citing) Victimization or Hateful posts / Retaliation of any kind against a user, or group of users

If you are a long standing member, act like one; lead by example and assist other newer users rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran users to use this opportunity to teach the newer users the appropriate way to conduct themselves in this community.

Definitions of Personal attack on the Web:

Generally, a personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when examining another person's claims or comments. It is considered a personal attack when a person starts referencing a supposed flaw or weakness in an individual's personality, beliefs, lifestyle, convictions or principles, and use it as a debate tactic or as a means of avoiding discussion of the relevance or truthfulness of what the person said. ...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&...on&ct=title

https://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=rulesforum

Erm, Longhorn was never abandoned. Longhorn was just the codename for Vista until they came up with a name for it.

longhorn client was abandoned and they used some ideas in vista (codename longhor)

longhorn is the codename for windows server

Then I want a proof that Microsoft release Longhorn as Abandonware...

longhorn client was abandoned
Meh... So Whistler as been abandoned for XP?

Dude... read the pressrelease: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2.../07-22LHMA.mspx

Microsoft Unveils Official Name for “Longhorn” and Sets Date for First Beta Targeted at Developers and IT Professionals

Vista is the name... Anyway, giveup, Longhorn Reloaded is illegal.

Edited by NI3NOR

longhorn client was abandoned and they used some ideas in vista (codename longhor)

Longhorn Client = Vista.

Longhorn Server = Vista Server (or whatever they end up naming it).

And I'd also like some proof that they've labelled it abandonware.

development on windows 95 has long since been abandoned. have you seen one line of code from that?

I'll quote myself on what I said in the original thread on Oct. 27:

can I have some of what this guy is smoking? nah, maybe not... obviously the stuff results in significant loss of brain cells.

Ben's right, do some research.

Now to formulate a good response, Longhorn was not abandoned and some of the ideas used in Windows Vista. Longhorn was just a codename, there was one for XP as well. They simply removed some of the things they were going to do. You don't seem to be able to wrap your head around this.

Also, no. Microsoft wouldn't permit this, it's not abandonware and you have no such proof that it is. Drop the issue because you have no idea what you're talking about.

LMAO. I thought this was about copying the Longhorn visuals into Vista, not about trying to convince people that modifying and redistributing Microsoft code is allowed or even supported.

No offence! But it's quite stupid trying to run a skinned version of an abandoned OS project which was not a performance superdog in the first place. If you really want to show your skinning talent Vista offers the wildest possible challenges.

Then I want a proof that Microsoft release Longhorn as Abandonware...

Meh... So Whistler as been abandoned for XP?

Microsoft's Reaction

Hi again JoeJoe:

I?ve been contacted by my counterparts in our Legal department to ask you to open a dialogue about the Longhorn Reloaded project you?ve mentioned starting on your site. You should know that we actively encourage and support independent developers to take advantage of the features available in our platform to create unique applications and services. But, our EULA does not allow users to modify and redistribute our code in the way you?re planning to. So, we cannot sanction the project you?re planning due to the fact that it would violate our EULA.

Would you please reply at your earliest convenience? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nick White

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"

"(stealth @ Oct 27 2006, 07:03 AM)

exactly, we arnt modifying the ISO itself, just a customization pack for it like other people have done, who the hell dobbed us in?? "

I replied that earlier...so let's wait for his reply."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you read this!?: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=63

And what about this!?

When asked about the legality of the proposed Longhorn Reloaded project, a Microsoft spokeswoman e-mailed the following statement: ?Microsoft actively encourages and supports independent developers to take advantage of the features available in our platform to create their own applications and services; however, the Windows end user licensing agreement does not allow users to modify and redistribute our code in this manner.? "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are getting famous with this little project right now ! LOL

I didn't get any email by MS yet.

How about a meeting ?We should meet and discuss the whole thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 30 2006, 04:28 AM was the date of that post after that a pinned topic by a joejoe admin stating that this is abandoned has been up for month has probably been read by microsoft and joe joe and other admins

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1079

Heh? You contact Microsoft asking for rights etc with a nickname? :p

Still, I don't believe you guys... :whistle:

It's not in Microsoft interest to allow people releasing a full OS for free like this...

personally he can care less about what you think legal issues and whatnot, he is asking for support and for programmers, if he gives you the chat transcript and you dont believe him then thats up to you, but please dont go up saying I dont believe you, that is a waste of your time and I personally take that as spam, if you do not want to support the project then fine, but keep your comments to yourself and put something constructive not like "i dont believe you."

Looks great and I hope that all turns out well.

Cheers