Windows Seven/Vienna Screenshot(s)

Windows Seven/Vienna Screenshot(s)

I found these on a Channel 9 MSDN forum, (Rob Thomas's topic, I believe) Unfortunately, they were removed soon after, and I only downloaded one.

I am going to sift through my cache and I will post my if I find them.

Do you think this is legit?

***Note: The image is extremely hi-res @ 2560x1600

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/203/613416386aam3.jpg

I doubt it is real, don't Apple have a patent on that dock thing? if this was real, Apple would sue MS to kingdom come for copyright infringement. I think it's more wishful thinking somehow ;)

Just imagine if Microsoft's next version of Windows featured a "dock" as it's main UI component. (with 95-Vista's main UI component being the taskbar.)

I think Apple would sue... :D

I'm just gonna skip straight to... NO WAI!

Because that's my gut feeling. :huh:

But that is indeed funny if true... :)

I think I'll just have to switch to Windows Vespa.

looks decent but until someone like Brandon live could possibly clear any facts of what he May or May NOT know about this image i would hope know one would use it as proof of what vienna looks like or so

As for the thread they were in... Were they just posted by a random user and no official? Or is the user known to have some sources at MS, like some people here on Neowin? Someone with a decent reputation? Depends a bit on these things on how believable this really is.

I'm going to venture that so early in the development of Win7 that it's a pretty fake. At the very best I would give it 'mock-up' status as it might be a concept of what they want to do with Win7. But if you look at every previous Windows release the cosmetic/UI changes are minimal until later in the cycle. The usually work on the 'under the hood' parts before unveiling the visible changes.

Now, since the same team that developed the Office 12 UI is also working on Win7, and that its been suggested the ribbons will be incorporated into the next Win version - maybe that would suggest that are going to focus on the UI overall.

I still say its too early.

It could be an early development shot, but it's also likely that so early in development that there are multiple UI ideas, of which most will never see the light of day.

If it is real, I can't imagine it'll ever hit the public as a workable piece of software. If it isn't, no harm done as it would likely never leave Microsoft anyway..

That's fake

That background comes from the IE 7 install screens

The dock is too much of an Apple rip-off and looks like the one made by Stardock IMO

It does look like a screen that was in the "Windows Rome" thread here on Neowin

The dock is the worse UI disaster ever. Completely utterly useless, Ms would never crippple themselves that badly. As much as they have copied and crippled themselves in the past, they know the reason Mac stays at 1% and it's that shameful thing called the dock.

I doubt it is real, don't Apple have a patent on that dock thing? if this was real, Apple would sue MS to kingdom come for copyright infringement. I think it's more wishful thinking somehow ;)

I don't think Apple has a patent on the Dock, as they weren't the first to invent it, and there are other docking applications for Windows, such as RocketDock.

It's fake, MS will probably change the UI even more in the next version of windows, but not something as drastic as that. People would see that and be totally lost, plus it's so basic, it's just a dock, it's like having your desktop icons but no start menu/taskbar.

I'm sure the ribbon from Office 2k7 will be used more in Windows next time, but the start menu/orb isn't going to go away anytime soon, you still need a central place to "start" your apps/work from. The taskbar itself though, as we know it right now might be gone later though. I think they should use more live icons and not just as a preview how it is in Vista.

Just think of it as minimizing your app and having a live thumbnail below with the name below it, multiple windows would get a stacked view like they do in Explorer in Vista, so whatever matches up like multiple folder windows would get stacked etc. There are lots of things they can add to the UI now that the WPF is set with Vista.

I don't think Apple has a patent on the Dock, as they weren't the first to invent it, and there are other docking applications for Windows, such as RocketDock.

You could be right, but didn't Apple go after YzDock and got them to shut down cause it was too much like the one in OSX?

You could be right, but didn't Apple go after YzDock and got them to shut down cause it was too much like the one in OSX?

It wasn't "like" the OS X dock, it was more or less a carbon copy.