Watchmen! Rorschach Revealed.

This is one of the best books/Graphic novels i have read, after seeing what snyder has done with 300 am glad he is doing watchmen, But i wonder if they will actually get it made this time. They have been trying to get this movie made since the comic was published in 89(i think)!!

March 9, 2007 - As his film adaptation of the graphic novel 300 opens in theaters, director Zack Snyder has given fans a sneak peek at his next comic book movie, Watchmen.

Snyder slipped in a glimpse of a live-action Rorschach, the masked vigilante protagonist of the Alan Moore-Dave Gibbons classic, into the extended trailer for 300.

WizardUniverse.com confirmed with Snyder that the image (seen below) that leaked online yesterday is indeed a legit shot of Rorschach, or rather a stand-in until an actor is cast. "Rorschach is awesome," Snyder told Wizard. "He's the man. He's too violent and so therefore people will see him and be like, 'Gosh, that's not the answer. That way is wrong.'"

"But he's so cool that it's like Apocalypse Now. You look at that movie now and you think, 'Wow, this is a poem about anti-war and all of that.' But then you watch the movie and you're like, 'Wow, that's awesome.' It's that fine line."

rorshach_badge_1173478000.jpg

The site adds that Snyder is considering casting his 300 leading man Gerard Butler in Watchmen, possibly as the Comedian.

Looks pretty cool!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771947p1.html

After seeing 300 and the Dawn of the dead remake...I'm quite impressed with Snyder's work. I would like to see Frank Miller's Ronin...Made into a movie.

Wow, Im stocked that this is finally getting made. After seeing 300 (the Dawn of the Dead remake didn't really blow my mind, but I guess it was more of the updated story than the visuals that disappointed me) I have all faith in Snyder.

Its a lot of story to fit into a 2 - 2 1/2 hour time frame, but Ill be interested to see how it turns out (ok, more like giddy with excitement)

• 4 months later...
The Hollywood Reporter released today the final cast of director Zack Snyder's film ?Watchmen,? based on the seminal DC Comics graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

Rorschach - Jackie Earle Haley

Dr. Manhattan ? Billy Crudup

Laurie Juspeczyki/the Silk Spectre ? Malin Akerman

Adrien Veidt/Ozymandias ? Matthew Goode

Nite-Owl ? Patrick Wilson

The Comedian ? Jeffrey Dean Morgan

According to the Hollywood Reporter, actors Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves and Jude Law were interested in appearing in Snyder's film, but refused to participate when it became clear that Warner Bros. were holding strong in regards to the budget.

Shooting will begin this fall in Vancouver, with Snyder employing many of the filming techniques he used in his previous comics adaption, ?300.?

Awesome!! Looks they're finally going to make this movie. I hope they keep it very close to the Comic. It's easily one of the best books I have read.

So Cruise, Reeves and Law dropped out because they weren't going to be paid enough??

Awesome!! Looks they're finally going to make this movie. I hope they keep it very close to the Comic. It's easily one of the best books I have read.

So Cruise, Reeves and Law dropped out because they weren't going to be paid enough??

Yeah seems that way...what I say is if they aren't into the comic and are in it for money then they are probably not good enough for the project...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

WB Gets Sued

20th Century Fox has initiated a legal battle against Warner Bros. over the rights to develop, produce and distribute a film based on the graphic novel "Watchmen."

On Friday, the studio sued Warners, claiming it holds the exclusive copyrights and contract rights to "Watchmen."

Warners plans to release next year a big-screen version of the popular comic book written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. The cast includes Jackie Earle Haley, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Carla Gugino and Malin Akerman. It is the studio's policy to not comment on pending litigation.

But Fox seeks to enjoin Warners from going forward with the project, saying in the lawsuit that it seeks to "restrain (Warner Bros. Pictures) from taking actions that violate Fox's copyrights and which stand to forever impair Fox's rights to control the distribution and development of this unique work."

Fox claims that between 1986 and 1990, it acquired all movie rights to the 12-issue DC Comics series and screenplays by Charles McKeown and Sam Hamm. In 1991, Fox assigned some rights via a quitclaim to Largo International with the understanding that the studio held exclusive rights to distribute the first motion picture based on "Watchmen," according to the lawsuit.

When Largo dismantled, the rights were transferred to producer Lawrence Gordon. Under a "turnaround agreement" between Fox and Gordon, the producer agreed to pay a buy-out price to Fox if he entered into any agreement with another studio or third party to develop or produce "Watchmen," among other things.

The project apparently bounced around to Universal and Paramount before returning to Warners. Now, Fox claims that neither Gordon nor Warners has paid the buy-out price or advised the studio of any other conditions required under the agreement, including procedures necessary to acquire the rights to "Watchmen" from Fox.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

2uqyj6g.jpg

Snyder on Set of Watchmen

?As we approach the last days of shooting Watchmen ? yes, the end is nigh ? it?s time to reflect on the whole Watchmen experience. I think back to January 2007 when I first met Zack and he walked me through his drawings for the title sequence. I remember my initial reaction was, How can we shoot all of it? Why do we have to shoot all that? And if we do, how do we shoot all of it? We spent the next two months scouting, researching and budgeting locations all over the world, including Australia, London, Prague, Spain ? at one point we even considered New York ? and, of course, Los Angeles. I now sit in my Vancouver hotel room one year later, and guess what? We did shoot all of it ? every frame of it, and not just the title sequence drawings but all of Zack?s drawings are now committed to film. The combination of modern-day technology and the level of artistic ability of so many people has made the Watchmen experience second to none. The spirit behind the making of this film was nothing short of total pleasure and love. As I wandered from room to room at the wrap party, there was not only a sense of accomplishment from everyone involved but a feeling of sadness that it?s coming to an end. The one thing that remains for me is the anticipation and excitement of seeing the finished product, knowing that we?ve all worked on something very special. Thank you Zack, for allowing me to be a part of it.?

I promise to refrain from getting too sentimental, but I want to take a moment to say thanks to the Watchmen cast & crew. You have all been phenomenal. It has been quite an experience and I could not have done it without the hard work and determination of each and every one of you. A film adaptation of Watchmen has been in the works for almost 20 years and thanks to you, it is finally in the can. It has been such a pleasure to be surrounded by a team that is so dedicated and that has given 110% each and every day. I am extremely grateful for the level of attention to detail put forth by each department to capture all of the texture that makes Watchmen the incredibly unique property that it is. Although we still have a lot of work to do in post, the shoot has been an experience I will not soon forget!

Thank you,

Zack

P.S. While I'm in the process of thanking people, I figure it's a good time to say thanks to the Watchmen fans for all of their continued support. Since the crew got wrap gifts, I figured you deserved a little something as well. So, to bring a little closure to the previous "Storyboard" blog, I've included a frame from the film that shows what it looks like when it all comes together. Thanks!

watchmento3-b4.jpg

Check this out - http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/02/19/watchm...oard-to-screen/ - it gives you an idea of how it came to be from the graphic novel to the story board and finally to the film.

PS - Rappy, neat sig. What's it from?

Its a picture of Gambit I found on the net :D got to show the Gambit appreciation :D

• 2 weeks later...