utorrent + Vista

Hi!

I recently moved to Windows Vista and i experience very slow speed using Utorrent.

When i was with Windows Media Centre, things were much much better.

Anyone else with this combination ? Can share your configuration please ?

Hi!

I recently moved to Windows Vista and i experience very slow speed using Utorrent.

When i was with Windows Media Centre, things were much much better.

Anyone else with this combination ? Can share your configuration please ?

Haven't noticed slowness. It's hard to compare since it's not a direct download and you can't really control the speed. have you forward your ports?

using it both on mce05 and vista now.

I guess I can try downloading file with lots of seed and compare. I'll post when I find out.

i always try with the openoffice file.

And yes, port is forwarded. I have the green arrow below.

Oh ya, another thing is that in MCE, i used to have the patch from evillord or something like that to allow half open connection. But the patch can't be applied to Vista.

that wouldnt affect the overall speed only the initial gain of speed.

ive hit the fastest speeds ive been in xp in vista as well but it seems like if i switch to xp and download the same torrents itll go faster till it hits that 'fastest speed' if that makes any sense

that wouldnt affect the overall speed only the initial gain of speed.

You are refering to the patch by EvilLord is it ?

@BilliShere: Mind sharing ya configuration ?

I noticed at first speeds were better with Vista but then it settled back down and are about the same as XP. Anybody update to the newer version of uTorrent notice how crappy the connections are. It wouldn't have anything to do with Bram selling out to Bittorrent. I went back to using 1.5.

only problem i have is vista wont uPNP open the port on my router

and utorrent keeps asking if i want to set it as the default torrent program :s

I noticed at first speeds were better with Vista but then it settled back down and are about the same as XP. Anybody update to the newer version of uTorrent notice how crappy the connections are. It wouldn't have anything to do with Bram selling out to Bittorrent. I went back to using 1.5.

The new version is the one with WebUI ? By going back to 1.5, your speed is better ?

uPNP is a well known issue with Vista i believe.

I do port forwarding manually. I think you should do that. its much safer and better.

No problems here (I set it as the default handler for .torrent files and it doesn't ask me anymore).

Mind sharing your configuration ?

uPNP kills my router sometimes when i'm downloading lots of torrents. Using the Talisman/Basic V1.2.3 on my wrt54g made it better, but still dies and i have to reboot router.

After manual port forward, no problems at all.

Using latest utorrent and speed is same. both xp and vista. I experienced my 7mbit line saturated for the first time with a couple of torrents that had a lot of seeds :woot:

as for the default program, worse case, just reinstall and it will ask you for default.

People, mind sharing the configurations PLEASE ?

nothing special.

1. utorrent. 1.6.1
  2. Set to static IP (either using router and mac address or just the config in windows networking)
  3. Manual port forward from hardware router. I just generated a random port and then stick with it (doesn't matter as long as it's not used by another)
  4. option>pref>connections>uncheck (randomize port...), leave next two checked.
  5. option>speed guide> set your speed (mine is @xxx/768) , check you port forward too

If you still having problems, might be network driver issues?

do you play with the advanced settings at all ?

Nope.

I limit my upload speed to at most 80% of my fully capable speed. (my max is 100kB/s, I keep it at round 50kB/s)

so, after I set the speed in option>speed guide> set your speed (mine is @xxx/768), I manually limit it back down to ~50kB/s (and at most 80kB/s.. any more the download speed will get affected)

Other stuff I did has to do with vista, turning off services I don't need (mostly hard drive intensive services). But that's just makes my system use less resource. Might have little to do with torrent speed.. since it's relatively not moving that much data over time.

If the same settings work for you in XP but not in Vista.. then the problem is some OS configurations/drivers.

Jesus, people still talking about the hack for XP about incomplete outgoing connections... That has to be among the most well spread myths I know of for XP, and I can personally not say it ever affected me negatively, at least not about 10 secs after starting the P2P app. The limit only kicks in when a crapload of connections are created at once (usually when starting the app) to slow that part down, but after a few secs and the app is up and running, it should not limit the speeds even on a 100 Mbps connection.

As for me, I occasionally get about 15 Mbps (1.5 MB/s) down on XP, similar maxes for Vista, and more often hovers around 5 Mbps up/down, without any "fixes" or messing around. I could get more if I unlocked my max upload setting.

As for the configuration, unless you also have a connection like mine, it would be of no use. Personally I just followed the uTorrent suggestion for my type, and adjusted the max upload speeds a little.

Edited by Jugalator

I'm getting a consistent 450+ kB/s in vista. here's my config with utorrent 1.61 and vista 32bit:

Two things first:

1. make sure you disable IPv6 in your network adapter settings; some routers do not work well with it enabled.

2. in a cmd prompt with administrator privileges; type: "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable" without the quotes and hit ENTER and then reboot computer.

After reboot, go into utorrent, then go into preferences and then click advanced

1. set net.bind.ip to your computers internal IP address on your home network (not sure why this works but it does)

2. set net.max.halfopen to 2 (in XP SP2 this was set to 80! -- but in vista it automatically controls this so setting it to a lower setting will eliminate most event 4226's in error logs)

3. set bt.connect_speed to 5 (this limits the amount of new connections per second and should also reduce event 4226's)

Then restart utorrent and BE PATIENT! Since the bt.connect_speed is only set to 5 connects/sec, the initial speeds will be slower than in XP, however; give it at least 5 minutes and you should see your speed steadily increase.

Hope this helps!

I'm getting a consistent 450+ kB/s in vista. here's my config with utorrent 1.61 and vista 32bit:

Two things first:

1. make sure you disable IPv6 in your network adapter settings; some routers do not work well with it enabled.

2. in a cmd prompt with administrator privileges; type: "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable" without the quotes and hit ENTER and then reboot computer.

After reboot, go into utorrent, then go into preferences and then click advanced

1. set net.bind.ip to your computers internal IP address on your home network (not sure why this works but it does)

2. set net.max.halfopen to 2 (in XP SP2 this was set to 80! -- but in vista it automatically controls this so setting it to a lower setting will eliminate most event 4226's in error logs)

3. set bt.connect_speed to 5 (this limits the amount of new connections per second and should also reduce event 4226's)

Then restart utorrent and BE PATIENT! Since the bt.connect_speed is only set to 5 connects/sec, the initial speeds will be slower than in XP, however; give it at least 5 minutes and you should see your speed steadily increase.

Hope this helps!

That looks interesting. I can't find much documentation on autotuninglevel. Do you know of any?

Also, just to note, there are different levels of half-open connections for the different editions of vista. for instance, home is limited to 2, but ultimate supports 25. I have mine set to 20 in utorrent, and have no warnings in the eventlog.

Thanks!

Matt

Jesus, people still talking about the hack for XP about incomplete outgoing connections... That has to be among the most well spread myths I know of for XP, and I can personally not say it ever affected me negatively, at least not about 10 secs after starting the P2P app. The limit only kicks in when a crapload of connections are created at once (usually when starting the app) to slow that part down, but after a few secs and the app is up and running, it should not limit the speeds even on a 100 Mbps connection.

As for me, I occasionally get about 15 Mbps (1.5 MB/s) down on XP, similar maxes for Vista, and more often hovers around 5 Mbps up/down, without any "fixes" or messing around. I could get more if I unlocked my max upload setting.

As for the configuration, unless you also have a connection like mine, it would be of no use. Personally I just followed the uTorrent suggestion for my type, and adjusted the max upload speeds a little.

What did adjust in the max upload speed ?

Two things first:

Hope this helps!

Will try this and report back! Anyway..what does autotuning do and how does it affect utorrent ?

utorrent keeps asking if i want to set it as the default torrent program :s

I'm having the same issue too - uTorrent keeps on asking me :(

I'm having the same issue too - uTorrent keeps on asking me :(

Run it as Administrator once, tell it to set as default, close it, and open it as a normal user. That should take care of the issue.