utorrent + Vista

man im tempted to install vista again but the opengl gaming support is atrocious

in fact i can tell u vista has better network tweaking AI, on average i get 500-600kb/s off utorrent under xp while on vista im always above 700~900kb/s

man im tempted to install vista again but the opengl gaming support is atrocious

in fact i can tell u vista has better network tweaking AI, on average i get 500-600kb/s off utorrent under xp while on vista im always above 700~900kb/s

Which opengl games are you referring to specifically that are apparently a big enough deal to keep you from upgrading? So far, I've had absolutely NO issues with running most games on the RTM Vista code. (Some older stuff is a little wonky. I couldn't run Fable: The Lost Chapters, for example, due to an error in how the game rendered on my video hardware.)

However, by and large, anything that's come out in the last year or so runs fantastically on Vista. Occasionally there are issues that may cause small problems, but everything runs as well or better than it did on XP.

There were PLENTY of issues in the betas, and most of the interim builds, but things seem to have firmed up nicely.

Further, if you're really concerned about specific opengl games, make sure M$ hasn't already updated Vista to fix your issues. They released a long list of games and apps that they fixed in a patch already. OpenGl audio is coming along (slowly, but still coming,) as well. Creative sound-card users can download the ALchemy tool from their support site, and that fixes most Vista opengl sound issues.

Bottom line: Vista is pretty frickin' awesome. Sure, it's lacking some of the things that they said it would have initially, but it still kicks major ass. There ARE issues, but they're few and far between. I certainly did just as much, if not more, tweaking to my XP system to get things running "perfectly" than I've had to do with Vista.

Edit: Damn. All that and I still didn't comment on the OP's issues. I almost derailed this thread like a true Steam forum-ite.

uTorrent and Vista: I don't know about all these special settings that you all are using, but I installed uTorrent on Vista with nothing but the default settings, and it's running perfectly. Yeah, I have NAT errors, whatever the hell those are, but I can get great down/up speeds no matter what. Also, as has been previously stated, I actually get much BETTER speeds with Vista than I got with XP. For whatever reason, (ipV6 probably,) Vista seems to run much faster in online settings than XP did.

In XP, my torrents generally maxed out around 500kbps, with Vista I regularly see speeds at or around 750-800kbps. (Thanks Comcast!)

So yeah. No port forwarding, no special settings, no router firmware updates, no tinkering needed. Install. Run. Profit.

Edited by roaddog

On a well seeded torrent (like Ubuntu) I easily hit and sustained my speedtest.net max download speed (aka line saturation). My settings are all default with a properly forwarded port. I've never even looked at the advanced settings.

only problem i have is vista wont uPNP open the port on my router

and utorrent keeps asking if i want to set it as the default torrent program :s

am being lazy sorry if it was answered i got the upnp problem to as for the asking part just right click and run as admin problem solved :)

only problem i have is vista wont uPNP open the port on my router

and utorrent keeps asking if i want to set it as the default torrent program :s

Right-click on the shortcut or .exe or what ever and select run as administrator. Then uTorrent will be configured as a default program for .torrent files properly.

Same here. It runs as fast as it did with XP.

Same here. Just disable uPnP port forwarding and setup port forwarding and your firewalls manually and it should work perfect.

If not, l2p :p

hmm...? not sure what you mean. 260KB/s for xp. how fast in vista?

I tried with Vista Home Premium 32bit. with the following settings as the attached pic.

post-37289-1175081855_thumb.jpg

I hit about 270Kb/s while downloading openoffice.

But on MOST torrents, i get low speed. Only with openoffice or ubuntu i get high speed.

[offtopic] Why would you want OpenOffice? Why not just get MSO 2007? And why would you want ubuntu? [/offtopic]

Actually, for a few days now I haven't been able to download anything with uTorrent, or do anythign with SA-MP, and possibly play online games, so i'm really mad right now.

That looks interesting. I can't find much documentation on autotuninglevel. Do you know of any?

Also, just to note, there are different levels of half-open connections for the different editions of vista. for instance, home is limited to 2, but ultimate supports 25. I have mine set to 20 in utorrent, and have no warnings in the eventlog.

Thanks!

Matt

25??? :blink: Where did you read that? Everywhere I've read says Basic edition is 5, the rest 10. I have net.max_halfopen set to 8 which is the default--80% of 10. I rarely get an EventID4226.

My speeds are about the same on Vista as on XP, although for some reason I don't see Comcast's "burst speeds" on Vista at all. I did on XP up to 3.5 MB/s (~28 Mbps) occasionally with torrents and HTTP or FTP downloads from fast servers. My rated connection is 1 MB/s (8 Mbps) / 96 KB/s (768 Kbps). Now nothing goes over the rated limit at all.

[offtopic] Why would you want OpenOffice? Why not just get MSO 2007? And why would you want ubuntu? [/offtopic]

Actually, for a few days now I haven't been able to download anything with uTorrent, or do anythign with SA-MP, and possibly play online games, so i'm really mad right now.

I am downloading OpenOffice and Ubuntu to test the speed of my utorrent. These 2 files should give you very high speed therefore i am just trying out with these 2 files.

Anyone knows what does autotuninglevel do ?

Alright... Mine was also running slower. And for all the people who think the half-open connection thing is a myth. You are incorrect.

I've installed P2P Turbo, increased the half-opened connections to 100, the changed the option in utorrent (preferences>advanced> net.max_halfopen to 75. My speed immediately jumped to ~250 from 75 kbps. Lowered the option again, speed dropped back down.