Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 RC1

Interesting, anybody will use that rather than Outlook?

Outlook? What's that?

Been waiting for this release for some time now....

So, dealing with MS's bastardized system is worth it?

yea.

I forgot to mention I only started using outlook with the new Outlook 2007. I'm not sure if it's a huge improvement over the older versions, but I love it. The task list, interface, color coded calendar, search as you type, blah blah are all awesome.

yea.

I forgot to mention I only started using outlook with the new Outlook 2007. I'm not sure if it's a huge improvement over the older versions, but I love it. The task list, interface, color coded calendar, search as you type, blah blah are all awesome.

That's why. 2007 is USABLE. Still, thunderbird is far better.

yea.

Thunderbird is not a calendar, allthough their is an add-on for that.

Does Outlooks Calendar look better? The answer is yes it does.

Does Thunderbird phone home to Microsoft upon start-up for no reason. The answer is NO.

Interesting, anybody will use that rather than Outlook?

The two are completely different. Outlook should be compared to Lotus Notes and Evolution. If you want a fair comparison, compare Outlook Express with Thunderbird. Thunderbird is just an email client. Outlook is email/calendar/whatever.

Does Thunderbird phone home to Microsoft upon start-up for no reason. The answer is NO.

Does Outlook phone home to Microsoft upon start-up for no reason. The answer is NO.

Comparing Outlook to Thunderbird is a poor comparison. Comparing Windows Live Mail Desktop to Thunderbird is a fair comparison.

Thunderbird is a great program. I prefer it over Outlook Express. BUT, there is a problem when it comes to sending email to hotmail accounts. Not a problem with the program (according to Thunderbird support forum). I have to use OE if I want to be sure my mail gets to hotmail accounts (which account for half of my contacts). I also found out this anomaly with SeaMonkey and it's built in email client.

Hotmail contacts not receiving mail.

Does Outlook phone home to Microsoft upon start-up for no reason. The answer is NO.

Comparing Outlook to Thunderbird is a poor comparison. Comparing Windows Live Mail Desktop to Thunderbird is a fair comparison.

Does Outlook phone home to Microsoft upon start-up for no reason. The answer is Yes.

Most MS Programs out today seem to like to phone-home for no reason(ie. office,Visual Studio..)

Outlook is a completely and utter waste.

If email is only what you want sure. If you would like a calendar or anything else like that then Outlook is the way. Thunderbirds Calendar project so far is a total hack that last I tested it just launched a seperate app and they 2 hardly worked together. Maybe the lightening project will address this but for many Outlooks fine.

Anyway the one feature I miss from TB is the news reader but I can live and use windows live mail desktop for that now (since it can get my hotmail account too that outlook wont). Between the two I have no use for TB.

Thanks for the info! T-Bird just gets better and better. The reason I think its better than Outlook/OE is because of the way it handles imap email-it is simply superior IMO.

If email is only what you want sure. If you would like a calendar or anything else like that then Outlook is the way. Thunderbirds Calendar project so far is a total hack that last I tested it just launched a seperate app and they 2 hardly worked together. Maybe the lightening project will address this but for many Outlooks fine.

Anyway the one feature I miss from TB is the news reader but I can live and use windows live mail desktop for that now (since it can get my hotmail account too that outlook wont). Between the two I have no use for TB.

That's why I use Google Calendar. That's why I agree with you about using it for other things besides email. But for email there is nothing better.

Thunderbird is a great program. I prefer it over Outlook Express. BUT, there is a problem when it comes to sending email to hotmail accounts. Not a problem with the program (according to Thunderbird support forum). I have to use OE if I want to be sure my mail gets to hotmail accounts (which account for half of my contacts). I also found out this anomaly with SeaMonkey and it's built in email client.

Hotmail contacts not receiving mail.

I wonder what would happen if you change the client ID from Thunderbird to Outlook? It seems that MS is blocking emails sent from Thunderbird as spam.

http://www.digg.com/software/Hotmail_annou...lla_thunderbird