Leopard Delayed until October

I didnt see this anywhere yet, it sucks though I was hoping it would come out June 11th :(

For once, the rumor mill was right: Apple will be delaying Leopard, the next release of Mac OS X, until October.

The company said in a statement Thursday that because of the push to get the iPhone out by June, it had to pull engineers from the Leopard development effort and reassign them to the iPhone. As a result, Leopard won't be finalized until later this year, and only a preview version will be available at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

"While Leopard's features will be complete by then (June) , we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October," Apple said in a statement.

Stay tuned for updated details.

Source: Cnet

I guess Leopard is Vista 2.0 in more ways than one!

Seriously, I think everyone can agree that they would rather have their OS delayed than receive a unstable, buggy OS on time.

Considering the builds are still getting seeded to developers with loads of issues, I'm not surprised. But at least we know.

Radish?

Not unexpected, but still a disappointment, especially for me since I have no interest in getting the iPhone (or even live in a country where it?s going to be available for who knows how long).

What will make me laugh about this, is that the people who will applaud Apple for pushing back the release to get a more stable product, will be the same people that slated Microsoft for pushing back Vista :D

Personally, I have no problems with any company pushing back their release dates. I'm a strong believer in the term "when its ready". After all, the consumer has no automatic "right" to a product, its a case of whenever the manufacturer is ready/willing to sell it that's the issue IMO :)

Now we have to wait for another 4 months for the 'secret features' they won't tell us about. :(

It does prove that no company is safe from not delivering software on time, so maybe everyone will ease up off our favourite company about it ;)

Now we have to wait for another 4 months for the 'secret features' they won't tell us about. :(

Maybe not, or so I hope...

a preview version will be available at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June

wctaiwan

^ I have a feeling that since a beta release is scheduled in June, we will know most of the features and I am sure Jobs will show it off at WWDC. Oh well, I was debating on getting a refurb MBP now or before going to college in August, I guess I made the right decision by buying it now.. :D

What will make me laugh about this, is that the people who will applaud Apple for pushing back the release to get a more stable product, will be the same people that slated Microsoft for pushing back Vista :D

Yes because a few months delay is just the same as a, uh, how many years was Windows delayed by again?

I just think that Jobs should be more focus in taking is products to the market instead of being always complaining about MS.

Especially when he does what he criticizes (is this word well written?). I really like apples product (except ipod) and think its an excellent OS but I hate Jobs atittude (misspelled too?).

This move worries me because they are putting more resources into producing a phone [which is ultimately a gadget, albeit a nicely designed one] than their flagship operating system.

LMAO, apple will "give any excuse for a celebration", AKA, apple will do anything to not make them look stupid, support for iphone, absolute rubbish... Look at ms, they had other projects and reassigned engineers but they still met earlier deadlines and they cant blame it not having enough time to have a driver being written, look at the stuff that is support in win 98 or xp, hell my laptop is running memphis (98 beta) and supports stuff xp doesnt even support, 20 moniters! and firewire which "APPARENTLY" wasnt invented till 2000 and something, even DVDs which werent "APPARENTLY" invented till 2000 / 2001, its all in the setup text, they removed the features and the feature text for 98, why!?

It does prove that no company is safe from not delivering software on time, so maybe everyone will ease up off our favourite company about it ;)

Even though the final product is delayed, I fully expect the "secret" stuff to be shown off at WWDC.

Yes because a few months delay is just the same as a, uh, how many years was Windows delayed by again?

A year and a couple months at most, and that's assuming MS ever officially announced a 2005 release. This fact does NOT make your argument any better. They're the same argument, yet you'll praise apple and bash MS for doing the same things.

-Spenser

I find it hilarious how much Vista bashing occurred at last year's WWDC, especially about how it was delayed several times, and now Leopard itself is getting delayed. Maybe instead of making anti-Vista commercials and spouting out arrogant PR, Apple should have given more focus to getting their own OS out on time.

I find it hilarious how much Vista bashing occurred at last year's WWDC, especially about how it was delayed several times, and now Leopard itself is getting delayed. Maybe instead of making anti-Vista commercials and spouting out arrogant PR, Apple should have given more focus to getting their own OS out on time.

The reason there was so much Vista bashing about it being late was simple: Microsoft promised so many features to the public, and then a good number of them got cut well before the release, and Vista still took years to release.

In Apple's case, they have not promised one single feature to the public that they have later cut. In fact, they continue to tease about secret features that they will reveal sometime (looks like WWDC '07 now). Not to mention that Leopard is just delayed 4 months from its original last possible release date (the last day of spring).

There is the difference...a HUGE difference. I am glad Apple is taking the time to make sure Leopard is working when it is released. They have a track record at trying to make something as perfect as possible for release date and they weren't going to compromise their beliefs.

That to me is impressive.

The reason there was so much Vista bashing about it being late was simple: Microsoft promised so many features to the public, and then a good number of them got cut well before the release, and Vista still took years to release.

In Apple's case, they have not promised one single feature to the public that they have later cut. In fact, they continue to tease about secret features that they will reveal sometime (looks like WWDC '07 now). Not to mention that Leopard is just delayed 4 months from its original last possible release date (the last day of spring).

There is the difference...a HUGE difference. I am glad Apple is taking the time to make sure Leopard is working when it is released. They have a track record at trying to make something as perfect as possible for release date and they weren't going to compromise their beliefs.

That to me is impressive.

And yet, despite getting rid of some features, the reasons for Microsoft delaying Vista were the same: to make a more stable product upon launch. I just don't get why Apple can never do any wrong. When they delay their OS, they still get praised for it. It's amazing.

I guess it's just responsibility

Microsoft has a bigger one than Apple does. And that's why it became so demanding to deliver the goods.

I guess it's just responsibility

Microsoft has a bigger one than Apple does. And that's why it became so demanding to deliver the goods.

Microsoft has a responsibility to it's customers, not Apple fanboys. I bet you hear more bashing about the delayed launch from the Apple fanboys than the Microsoft ones.

-Spenser

Microsoft has a responsibility to it's customers, not Apple fanboys. I bet you hear more bashing about the delayed launch from the Apple fanboys than the Microsoft ones.

-Spenser

No doubt..

Although I use PC, I get intrested in apple's innovations as well. We know very well MS and Apple work very closely together, they "borrow" allot of material from each other, the so call competition is just for show I suppose.

I tell people, just use what your prefrence is. Boom.. no fanboyism