Post your dream about Windows Vienna!

Lets see our Imagination... Let me think... Mean while you people start posting... What do I think about Vienna. :D

Vienna recommended requirements will be Core 2 Duo or Core Duo.

2GB RAM, Graphics card that support DirectX 10 with 256MB memory to run Vienna theme and if you want to play 3D games.

Minimum requirements ---> P4 with HT or Pentium D, 1GB RAM, 800*600 SVGA

These are minimum and recommended requirements but still we need much higher processor (Quad + cores), 4GB dual channel RAM, DirectX 11 (future) cards for excellent performance. ;)

I like Windows and new versions as much as the next guy, but the night I start dreaming about Microsoft products will be followed by the morning when I book in to see a shrink.

let see, more filesystem support, ext3 and reiserfs for example. A boot loader that recognise other os. And the complete inability to install and/or use any software not package in a correcly build msi (aldo that's more for work, i'm so gonna kill adobe some days...)

maybe we'll finally see winFS?

i'd love to move away from the whole OS being organized by file names.

*intergrated access to movies & music on demand

*windows media being intergrated into the OS (not as in vista)

*FIX BOOT TIME! (what ever happened to the 10sec boot?!)

*PLEASE NO SIDEBAR!

*intergrated access to movies & music on demand

*windows media being intergrated into the OS (not as in vista)

*FIX BOOT TIME! (what ever happened to the 10sec boot?!)

*PLEASE NO SIDEBAR!

First two wont EVER happen because the EU will RAPE Microsoft if they even get close to the word "integrate".

Third is dependent on the apps that you have installed.

Fourth is just a personal preference, you could easily disable it. Many people including myself find the sidebar very useful. Although a more powerful sidebar would be more than welcome.

Also, WinFS' technologies have been used in various other products in whole or in part in the Vista generation already. What's left are really not worth using, and we wont see them any time in the future.

----------

A more powerful 3D visual file manager would be nice. Where you actually float in 3D space and have your files around. The size of the virtual space could even be proportional to your actual storage space!

A completely revamped UI that works on the foundation of the above ^ to enable much more advanced functionality and far more productivity.

Eye Candy is a must :p That's what sells a system.

Completely reworked from ground-up code base written in 99%+ managed code, ASSUMING they manage to get rid of the extreme lag of course. (Hey, you DID say a DREAM, not what is actually plausible).

Remove registry, save all settings in files in application folder.

Simplified application file structure, one folder per app.

Remove shell extensions, etc, and replace with generic extension support.

Built in source code editing capability. Such things as keeping a source code copy of every compiled file as a "shadow" and automatically recompiling the file once the source is edited via editor that is included.

For the above to work everything outside the system core/kernel must be 100% modular and file based (so rather than one huge compile, separate files could be compiled separately and continue to work along every other file)

Overhaul driver implementation to follow style of previous 6 points.

100% system-wide reliability, as a result of the modular structure, if one part fails it'll just restart itself without affecting other parts of the system.

The core should ideally be extremely slim as it contains only the management instructions that allow all other modules to interact, and be immune to errors (somehow).

what else....

oh yes, making it n00b proof by having two "versions" on first install: Mainstream and Complex (named to compel n00bs to choose the former while tech savvy people know to use the latter). In the Mainstream version EVERYTHING is locked down and most advanced functionalities are non-existent. The Complex version could have all the most advanced functionality without bothering to make it psudo-n00b understandable as it could then be safely assumed that those who use the Complex version have some degree of tech savvyness and would understand computer lingo.

Modularity!

One version only: leave OEMs to option of what to install but make everything available if wanted.

I like Windows and new versions as much as the next guy, but the night I start dreaming about Microsoft products will be followed by the morning when I book in to see a shrink.

I had a fream about the Millennium beta.

More recently I had a dream about reading about the latest Longhorn (client) news on Neowin.

Is this worth bringing up with my shrink? I'd say dangerous thoughts are more important ;)

800*600? It'll probably be more like 1600x1200 minimum.

It'll have to be 800x600 minimum

I know quite a few people who keep their XP installation at this because they can't read anything higher regardless of what resolution their monitor calls for. :x

Good features above... Id like to suggest performance only... fast boot.. fast interface... and fast 3d... multimedia improved.

To be not as confusing with inconsistencies in the UI.

Not so RAM Hungry

That's pretty much it

oh yeah don't forget ZFS

amen

I dissagree on 800x600. Why do people till have CRTs? I mean its all LCD now,Widescreen LCD, and people should upgrade.

My ideas:

• Have two cousmer choices and 2 "pro" choices.
  • intergration with Windows Live Services
  • Consitant UI
  • More multimedia options for the cousmer editions
  • Microsoft Office basic preinstalled on all versons. NOT a trial, full verson of the basic. alowing people to upgrade if they wish.
  • If they replace the taskbar and start menu, do a thing such as a menu bar and dock. Yes, I know, another copycat of Mac OSX, but at least there willbe some kind of interface that would be easy to use. If they do keep them, then enhance them a bit, expand the start menu to have more user based options and enhance search for the internet, networks, files, card readers etc.
  • Photo, video and music libary where one app can control and orgnaze all 3
  • NO MORE ACTVACTION
  • System performance raiting to be included on more then just the hardware.
  • Download center, where all downloads are mananged and stored
  • Password center: Password center can store all your passwords. Password center will requre a password regardess of whatuser is loged in to the machine
  • Enhanced sidebar: Everything conected throgugh a network
  • WinFS
  • more intergration with everyday life actvities

Optimize the OS to run on the native hardware- multiple kernel versions, as necessary, to support Intel, AMD, or whatever at the best level possible, and allow the kernel to recompile to take advantage of processor upgrades.

Screw compatibility hacks: break all compatibility with all apps from non-supported systems- lose the whole compatibility subsystem: if you have to run older software you should still have the original OS disc in your posession. Install it into a virtualization system.

<snip>

If you're not going to organize things by name, what are you proposing?

I dissagree on 800x600. Why do people till have CRTs? I mean its all LCD now,Widescreen LCD, and people should upgrade.

Nothing wrong with my CRT. I dont think people should upgrade if they dont want to. I also dont like fixed native resolutions in LCDs.

I'd like to see 'Thinstall' type technology incorporated into the OS itself. Apps would load much faster, use their own virtualized registry etc. Uninstalling an app would be as simple as deleting the .exe file :woot:

Oh and while we're at it how about proper security, not this idea that simply asking someone "are you really sure you want to run this?" multiple times is going to make the system secure.

File System versioning (WinFS)

Virtual Desktops

More modular in the components, because able to completely remove the front-ends for Mail/Messenger/Media Player/IE etc. while still include the libraries for other front-ends to make use of these built-in technologies

Make UAC more intuitive

No WGA

Better code optimisation (Less memory and disk footprints)

And those are just things to catch up to the competition

'Till this build of OS, Microsoft should do something about restarting your computer when you load a new driver or update certain software. They were promising this for Vista but after installing graphical, platform,... drivers this restart is still a must for MS.

My dream would be:

UI overhaul like totally

WinFS

Virtual Machines built in

Ability to have Virtual Drives without a third party program

No more "Registry"

loose all these built in sidebar things and have them as extra's to download

Use server side code + Security (have you ever heard anyone complain about staility and security on a server OS :p)

Better capability for legacy OS's

Keep WGA but make it more discreet

Extend the OS life cycle and the amount of times you can install an OS before WPA kicks in

And bring back Windows Messenger :angry:

Beryl type interface.

Even greater driver suppor for legacy hardware.

Lesser system requierments.

Better file system.

Faster bootimes.

UI overhaul. (Something interesting and representative of the high tech world we live in today)

COMPLETE connectivity and interaction bw Cellphone, Windows Mobile devices, Ultra Portables PCs, TV , Stereo, Zune.

VNC

Beryl type interface.

Even greater driver suppor for legacy hardware.

Lesser system requierments.

Better file system.

Faster bootimes.

UI overhaul. (Something interesting and representative of the high tech world we live in today)

COMPLETE connectivity and interaction bw Cellphone, Windows Mobile devices, Ultra Portables PCs, TV , Stereo, Zune.

VNC

(Y)

An update centre where you could update all the applications on your system in one panel. Means we could be rid of the more annoying application updaters *cough*Apple Software Update*cough*.

Support for other Filesystems is a good idea

De-integrate alot of the windows non-essential programs, like IE (but leave the dlls needed for explorer to function in) and have em installable like packages from the CD at a later date.

Maybe a true fully 3D desktop where windows are actually 3d, and you can middle drag the title bar of a window and watch it fly back in the Z-coordinate and pull other windows in front and other cool effects.

More command-line programs to administer the computer.

Edited by FuhrerDarqueSyde