Post your dream about Windows Vienna!

Beryl type interface.

Lesser system requierments.

Better file system.

Faster bootimes.

UI overhaul. (Something interesting and representative of the high tech world we live in today)

Dont they contradict each other somewhat? Beryl puts a great strain on resources yet at the same time you want faster boot times and lesser systems requirements :s

My dream is that it doesn't happen so I don't have to come to the forums I visit and read <snipped> how great it's going to be.

As you've seen with Vista (or, is that Vista Me, just a foobarred XP3).

A better registry is my prime dream. A simple yet efficient command line (I know there is Windows Powershell, but it is not for the home user , you need to have knowledge about .NET and related stuff)

Another useful addition may be a set of software packs to help the absolute n00bs to create music, web sites, edit photos, videos etc

And allow me to select what I want to install.

• 3 weeks later...

-No more registry!!!

-WinFS

-Turbo super fast boot(1 sec)

-Better Speech Recognition

-Ability to add a password to your folders

-No more extensions

-Powerfull sidebar.

- "Face Recognition" (can be used in login and in opening protected folders)

-A new Windows Media Player

-Add some professional filters to MS Paint(like in Photoshop)

-Add Word features to Notepad

-Add FlashMaker

-New powerful 3D Desktop System

-Lower system requirements

-Add a support for Mac applications :D (just a joke)

-No more Blue Screen of death :no:

-Enhance system stability

-And a many new features that help us to use our computers simpler.

Sell one, Windows Vienna Core

Then to expand it, you purchase Windows Vienna Corporate, Windows Vienna Home, Windows Vienna Basic Server and Windows Vienna Extreme.

Vienna Core - Key parts of Windows Vienna, fully usable, lightweight, includes basic programs. For political reasons, does not include Windows Media Player out-of-the-box. This is required before installing any other pack.

Vienna Corporate - Includes features such as BitLocker, high memory capacity, special networking features, and tools for collaboration and domain-wide file sharing, as well as Roaming User Profiles. (Corporate gives an ideal medium between Business and Enterprise)

Vienna Home - Includes programs designed around the digital lifestyle, such as Windows Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, Media Centre, among others.

Vienna Basic Server - Designed for scheduled backups, and content delivery around the network and possibly the Internet. (Basic, not Home, as that would cause confusion with Vienna Home)

Vienna Extreme - Windows Extras, WinSAT, game tuning, fine-tuned hardware controls, temperature readouts and more all contribute to the best pack available for the serious enthusiast (As you don't need the other packs for this, it's not necessarily Ultimate. So it's Extreme)

Retail price is ?40 for each pack:)) So it would be ?200 for all the packs, which would be about right. And the core and one pack becomes ?80, roughly the price it is today.

open sour:) :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_source

Microsoft to make use of the franchises it already has.

e.g. Games For Windows... why doesn't the Games Center keep them patched, up to date, let you know when there are add-ons available?

Games For Windows Live built in

Built in virtualisation. (That includes osx86 preferably :p)

New UI that's actually intuitive (come on MS office guys :D)

Window Management techniques / functions that are actually useful, not glorified examples of WPF and other technologies. i.e. make Flip 3D good! It's a great start! It needs to be finished.

Anyway.. just a bit!

Chris

-No more registry!!!

Every person who says this really doesn't have any idea of why the registry isn't the absolute evil that they make it out to be. It has its purposes.

-WinFS

That's dead. The corpse of WinFS was chopped up and served into various other products. I believe they said that some of the stuff they did was moved into SQL Server, they obviously took concepts for the Vista indexer, etc.

-Turbo super fast boot(1 sec)

We'll need much faster hardware for that to happen...Maybe some kind of non-volatile RAM or something...

-Add Word features to Notepad

No, no, no, no, no. Notepad is just what it is. Use wordpad if you want more.

-New powerful 3D Desktop System

Vista's got a pretty powerful 3d desktop system. Hopefully people like Stardock will begin clawing their way into it and showing us what it can really do.... When you minimize a window, it actually takes the window (Which is 3d), and performs various transforms on it, squishing it and rotating it in 3 dimensions....I do wish it was more open though, I'd love to see what it could do. Stardock said this:

People on Linux have been showing off XGL for awhile. Anyone with Windows XP should try out WindowFX and know we've been doing window scaling, 3D dragging of windows, and all kinds of effects since Windows XP launched and we didn't have the benefit of a 3D accelerated desktop. Now we do. That's all I'm going to say on that.
I really really want to see what they've got up their sleeves...
-No more Blue Screen of death :no:

You need a 'The kernel crashed!' screen. No system will be crash proof. OSX and *nix have their Kernel Panic screens, Windows has a BSOD. (Though I haven't seen any recently....)

More command-line programs to administer the computer.

Powershell, WMI, netsh, etc. There is no shortage of command line utilities. You can completely manage a computer through the command line.

Edited by MioTheGreat

• 2 weeks later...
Every person who says this really doesn't have any idea of why the registry isn't the absolute evil that they make it out to be. It has its purposes.

Every person who defends the registry doesn't reinstall their OS more then once a year. Extracting one programs settings after the other is a pain - much easier to copy over a files and settings folder. Wading through the HKCR trying to figure out why DDE doesn't work and how to remove Windows Media Player context menu items without breaking the player entirely is also not fun. A folder for each filetype setting, user-independent context menus save in files, ready for use next reinstall...

It's purposes are easily covered by configuration files. Even .net advices against using the registry. But there are enough programmers out there not grasping words like servicability and simplicity.

Vista's got a pretty powerful 3d desktop system. Hopefully people like Stardock will begin clawing their way into it and showing us what it can really do.... When you minimize a window, it actually takes the window (Which is 3d), and performs various transforms on it, squishing it and rotating it in 3 dimensions....I do wish it was more open though, I'd love to see what it could do. Stardock said this:

Nonsense. Vista DWM is just a compositor playing with the old GDI+ user interface, made possible by the "new" WDDM. WDDM they finally made the 3d accellerator client-server so the system doesn't choke/jerk immensely whenever two apps use the accellerator (DWM and a game for instance). OpenGL has been like this all the time, henche so easy it was to unleash XGL for Linux. WDDM is also a benefit for OpenGL, contrary to popular belief.

I had wished Vista would be have the entire GUI rendered on the accellerator, and only CPU would issue drawing calls. Now we are stuck with old Win95 style, skinned with a bitmap skin all done on CPU, and finally added Pixel Shading and filtering on the GPU. Which means resizing a window is more jerky then ever, and your latest hardware e6600@3ghz is on it's knees once again, while a low-end GPU could do it ten times as fast.

If I'm wrong please correct me. I just want a good PC eXperience ;)

I do wish it was more open though, I'd love to see what it could do.

duh, ya think?

People immediately tried to make an Expos? feature for Vista but it was slow and CPU hogging, and buggy. DWM is extremely closed, they have only exposed the thumbnail and blur API. But yes, amazing things can be done with your gui floating around in hardware accellerated heaven. I'd love to have animations and stuff running entirely on the GPU, alongside a game in a window. It does take a hit to your FPS, but only until you maximize the game.

I'm sceptical to 2D on 3D.

I dissagree on 800x600. Why do people till have CRTs? I mean its all LCD now,Widescreen LCD, and people should upgrade.

No they shouldnt.

Colour on LCD compared to CRT is appauling.

If I had my way:

Firstly I would have rid of that waste of resources sidebar.

Get rid of that terrible orb start button.

Bring back the old 'All Programs' menu.

Get rid of that horrid black style.

Get rid of the transparant windows.

Make it work.

I dissagree on 800x600. Why do people till have CRTs? I mean its all LCD now,Widescreen LCD, and people should upgrade.

All well and good, unless you're one of the many (possibly millions) of people who just can't afford nice computer equipment because it's cool. The standard user will just stick with what they have because it's all they can afford or it's all they know.

Not taking into account other things like, what happens if your monitor breaks and you need to use an old monitor to keep using your PC

My dream would be:

And bring back Windows Messenger :angry:

Um, why?

Seriously why would you want Windows Messenger when you could easily download Windows Live Messenger?

Windows Messenger has hardly any good features and a rubbish UI. Even with a slightly updated version it would be rubbish.

Please can you and/or somebody else tell me why people want Windows Messenger back?

If anything what should happen is that they should include the full Windows Live Messenger in the OS, not a crappy Windows Messenger...

It has been confirmed that Vienna and the Server after 2008 is going to be purely 64-bit only.

To be not as confusing with inconsistencies in the UI.

Not so RAM Hungry

That's pretty much it

oh yeah don't forget ZFS

Why the hell would you buy RAM if you didnt want it to be used? I wish the OS would use all my RAM so my system would run faster. That complaint people try to make about it using too much ram when you are just use the internet or something makes no sense to me. Thats about as stupid as me going out and buying a 22" monitor and then getting mad becuase I want it to only use 17" of the monitor. You bought it for a reason, and you should use it.

1. Modular codebase

2. Cheaper - its an operating system for crying out loud, $199 US Maximum price and just 1 version.

3. Faster than Vista

4. Virtual Desktops

5. Virtualization

6. Singularly resizable icons

7. Tabbed Explorer

8. Consistent Interface - Hire someone from Apple Inc. Mr Gates.

8. Consistent Interface - Hire someone from Apple Inc. Mr Gates.

How is the UI not consistent? Do you mean you want Microsoft to hire someone from Apple? The same company that just showed images of their newest OS and looks exactly the same as the old one except for the ridiculously out of place transparent bar at the top of the screen?