Vista "Out of Memory" Error When Copying Files Hotfix

Those who run Windows Vista might suddenly run on a "Out of Memory" error while copying large batch of files. Adrian Kingsley-Hughes of ZDNet has a nice article explaining how it occurs.

The “Out of Memory” error (which is affectionately known at the PC Doc HQ as the “Out of Cheese” error … don’t ask why …) is one of the biggest and most baffling of Vista’s file handling problems has been occurs when a Vista user (running Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 or 7) tries to copy a large number of files (~16,400). I know, copying that many files is crazy and not something that people do every day, I’d expect a modern OS to be able to cope with this (am I asking too much???).

According to the hotfix link, the problem relies in "a memory leak in the Windows OLE component. This memory leak is triggered by the way that Windows Explorer deals with the extended attributes of the files." It's nice that Microsoft has released a hotfix for this problem, however, according to the article, SP1 doesn't have such hotfix.

Source: ZDNet Blogs

Link to the hotfix: Microsoft

however, according to the article, SP1 doesn't have such hotfix.

Um, why would it? SP1 is still in beta with new builds coming weekly. So any NEW hotfixes might not have be integrated YET. I think we should all assume this will be added to a future SP1 build.

Does this only cover the kaspersky issue ?

or is this also a hotfix for the out of resources error that can occur when copying large files over the network.

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry - I think I'll just laugh.

And the issue is not limited to Kaspersky but indeed is an issue with the system as whole.

I ran into this last month when backing-up manually. It was infuriating, to say the least. I couldn't even copy ONE single file until I rebooted.

Um, why would it? SP1 is still in beta with new builds coming weekly. So any NEW hotfixes might not have be integrated YET. I think we should all assume this will be added to a future SP1 build.

And if there are other tests going on related to this particular bug, including regression testing, for example. Usually, when a hotfix goes "public" (in other words, anyone can download it, and not only through the "request from microsoft" sillyness) then you'll see it rolled into an SP internal beta. Right now, this one is apparently something they are still holding onto.

Does this only cover the kaspersky issue ?

It's not an issue with Kapersky, the author might sound misleading by saying he was using it while doing the file transfer. The problem relies in a Windows OLE component memory leak, that triggers when doing file transfers. :)

I had this error when i was using dreamweaver making javascript and html pages.

is this fix for any software problem that vista may be having?

I had this issue until I installed the nForce drivers from nVidia. I'm running two SATA drives, and all I was trying to do was copy my WoW folder from my backup drive, back onto C:\. The nForce drivers fixed this.