Nikon D40 or Canon Digital Rebel XT

I'm going to have some money coming my way soon, and I have decided to buy a DSLR because my little Pentax Optio T10 isn't cutting it anymore. :p

I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D40 (about $500) and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (about $550). One of my questions is that the Nikon has 6.1MP and the Canon has 8MP - is that something I should worry about? Is 2MP that noticeable?

It looks like both cameras come with the same lens - 18-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6. I don't plan on buying another lens right away, but which manufacturer has a better lens system?

I'm leaning towards the Nikon because it's a little cheaper, and I could use the extra money to buy a lens filter pack. Plus I like how it's all black rather than the silver. :p

Any information and help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first DSLR, and I'm really excited. Thanks in advance guys.

I'm going to have some money coming my way soon, and I have decided to buy a DSLR because my little Pentax Optio T10 isn't cutting it anymore. :p

I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D40 (about $500) and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (about $550). One of my questions is that the Nikon has 6.1MP and the Canon has 8MP - is that something I should worry about? Is 2MP that noticeable?

It looks like both cameras come with the same lens - 18-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6. I don't plan on buying another lens right away, but which manufacturer has a better lens system?

I'm leaning towards the Nikon because it's a little cheaper, and I could use the extra money to buy a lens filter pack. Plus I like how it's all black rather than the silver. :p

Any information and help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first DSLR, and I'm really excited. Thanks in advance guys.

I had both the D40 and the XT.

I prefer the D40, the XT was too large for me.

I decided Nikon has superior lenses for the price they charge over canon.

Also unless you are making poster's i doubt you will miss the extra 2MP.

The d40 is a great starter camera and can be used as a backup when you move up to something more advanced down the line.

D40: nicer body ergonomics, better kit lens, larger 2.5" screen, friendlier menu system for beginners (has nice helpful hints), auto iso (when you dont want to mess with iso), spot metering

XT: 2MP extra, better noise performance (for low light shooting), dedicated buttons for settings changes (rather than in-menu), faster/better autofocus, focus motor (for using AF on older fast prime lens), bracketing (HDR guys use this a lot), depth of field preview,

You can't go wrong with either--I owned both and was happy with either as each have trade off features. Nikon nor Canon have "superior" lens--they're both great and are priced similarly. (though usually nikon a bit higher)

By the way, the XT is $440 and is black too.

My suggestion is to go to the store and try them both.

I had both the D40 and the XT.

I prefer the D40, the XT was too large for me.

I decided Nikon has superior lenses for the price they charge over canon.

Also unless you are making poster's i doubt you will miss the extra 2MP.

The d40 is a great starter camera and can be used as a backup when you move up to something more advanced down the line.

Thanks a lot for the help. Like giga said below, I'm going to go to a store to try out both to see which I like better. And good thinking on using it as a backup later on. I definitely plan on purchasing a more advanced camera once I get everything down. :)

D40: nicer body ergonomics, better kit lens, larger 2.5" screen, friendlier menu system for beginners, auto iso, spot metering

XT: 2MP extra, better noise performance, dedicated buttons for settings changes (rather than in-menu), faster/better autofocus, focus motor (for using AF on older fast prime lens), bracketing (HDR guys use this a lot), depth of field preview,

You can't go wrong with either--I owned both and was happy with either as each have trade off features. Nikon nor Canon have "superior" lens--they're both great and are priced similarly. (though usually nikon a bit higher)

By the way, the XT is $440 and is black too.

My suggestion is to go to the store and try them both.

Thanks a lot giga. Couple questions regarding what you said:

1. By noise performance, do you mean it produces better pictures in less light?

2. Autofocus - I don't really plan on doing any fast motion or action photography, so should this be a big factor in deciding?

3. Bracketing - Since the Nikon doesn't have it, I can still make an HDR picture with a RAW file, right?

4. DOF preview - this just shows the DOF before you take the picture, right? Whereas the Nikon would show me the image after I pressed the shutter?

And thanks for finding the Canon in black and cheaper. I was looking on Amazon and didn't think of checking on Butterfly. :laugh:

Thanks so much for the help so far guys. I really appreciate it. (Y)

Thanks a lot for the help. Like giga said below, I'm going to go to a store to try out both to see which I like better. And good thinking on using it as a backup later on. I definitely plan on purchasing a more advanced camera once I get everything down. :)

Thanks a lot giga. Couple questions regarding what you said:

1. By noise performance, do you mean it produces better pictures in less light?

2. Autofocus - I don't really plan on doing any fast motion or action photography, so should this be a big factor in deciding?

3. Bracketing - Since the Nikon doesn't have it, I can still make an HDR picture with a RAW file, right?

4. DOF preview - this just shows the DOF before you take the picture, right? Whereas the Nikon would show me the image after I pressed the shutter?

Thanks so much for the help so far guys. I really appreciate it. (Y)

1. Yes. When using high ISO.

2. Probably not, but it's good to have when needed. This can be as simple as a little kid moving in front of you or focusing objects in poor lighting conditions.

3. Instead of the camera automatically making adjustments, you'll have to change it manually. Actual HDR is more than just "one" raw exposure, it's a combination of several exposures. (dark one, regular one, bright one)

4. Yes.

1. Yes. When using high ISO.

2. Probably not, but it's good to have when needed. This can be as simple as a little kid moving in front of you or focusing objects in poor lighting conditions.

3. Instead of the camera automatically making adjustments, you'll have to change it manually. Actual HDR is more than just "one" raw exposure, it's a combination of several exposures. (dark one, regular one, bright one)

4. Yes.

That was quick! :p I love shooting architecture and nature, so I don't think I'll have too many kids running in front. The poor lighting conditions might be an issue though. And I know HDR is multiple exposures, but can't you edit the RAW to give you the three different exposures? I thought that was why RAW was preferred over JPG. And the DOF preview doesn't really matter to me. I don't mind checking after I take the picture.

Thanks again giga.

While the single raw HDR technique works, I much prefer multiple exposure bracketing for the fact that you're actually capturing that extra detail in the separate exposures, rather than just pushing the numbers from the single raw.

I've ran into problems before with the single raw HDR technique where the exposure wasn't perfect in the first place and ended up with blown highlights or darks--that can't be brought out even if it's a raw.

While the single raw HDR technique works, I much prefer multiple exposure bracketing for the fact that you're actually capturing that extra detail in the separate exposures, rather than just pushing the numbers from the single raw.

I've ran into problems before with the single raw HDR technique where the exposure wasn't perfect in the first place and ended up with blown highlights or darks--that can't be brought out even if it's a raw.

I can still bracket with the Nikon though? I just have to go and set it manually each time, right? That wouldn't bother me that much.

Edited by MasterC

Yes. Either dial in exposure compensation in the semi-auto modes, or use M mode and use the light meter.

Ok, thanks. I appreciate all the help you've given! :)

30D is $750 ;).

A used 20D would be about $500.

Yeah it's true, but the way I see it is that we go into SLR for manual control and with D40 and XT it's kinda crippled. imho, it's totally worth saving an extra buck to go one notch up :) For people who want to point and shoot with a SLR - D40 and XT are probably going to be excellent thou :D

30D is $750 ;).

And that's on the high side for me. I'm getting a couple grand and 98% of it is used up for something else, so I don't have that much to work with. Trust me, I'd love to get a 30D, but the two cameras I chose are more of my price range for now. I can always upgrade later!

i would pick XT as it allows u to use prime lens with af. with a tight buget prime lens such as 50 1.8 and 35 2 are quite viable options for low light shots.

i would pick XT as it allows u to use prime lens with af. with a tight buget prime lens such as 50 1.8 and 35 2 are quite viable options for low light shots.

Thanks moonman. I think I'm going to end up going with the XT for a couple reasons that you guys have pointed out. I'll let you guys know when I get it!

Thanks for everything, guys! :)

Oh I love my 50mm f/1.8.

But yes, I'm a big fan of Canon and specifically my XTI. The Rebel is a fine choice (Y)

Oh I love my 50mm f/1.8.

But yes, I'm a big fan of Canon and specifically my XTI. The Rebel is a fine choice (Y)

I agree. I've been comparing the two, and while the Nikon is nice, the Rebel seems like a much better fit for me. It's funny because I was the complete opposite a couple days ago - I had my mind set on the D40! Goes to show what a little asking around and researching can do. ;)

I agree. I've been comparing the two, and while the Nikon is nice, the Rebel seems like a much better fit for me. It's funny because I was the complete opposite a couple days ago - I had my mind set on the D40! Goes to show what a little asking around and researching can do. ;)

+1 for the Rebel, I've just got one and its an absolute dream to use, make sure you get it in matt black though its much nicer than the silver gloss ;)

I bought the Nikon, very happy with it (Y)

Either way, they are both supposed to be great so you can't really go wrong!

I loved all the time I spent with my XT, a great camera that served me well. I can't say I've ever had a single complaint about it. Survived just about everything from being dropped, to the one unfortunate swim in a big puddle. I replaced it this morning with a shiny new Rebel XSI. All I need now is a little more free time and more cooperative weather.

+1 for the Rebel, I've just got one and its an absolute dream to use, make sure you get it in matt black though its much nicer than the silver gloss ;)

I'll most definitely get it in black. I'm not too fond of the silver. :laugh:

+2 :) I have the silver gloss though :( big mistake...

You could paint it :p

I bought the Nikon, very happy with it (Y)

Either way, they are both supposed to be great so you can't really go wrong!

I loved all the time I spent with my XT, a great camera that served me well. I can't say I've ever had a single complaint about it. Survived just about everything from being dropped, to the one unfortunate swim in a big puddle. I replaced it this morning with a shiny new Rebel XSI. All I need now is a little more free time and more cooperative weather.

If it survived that, I should be okay! And congrats on the purchase.

I Just bought the D60 a few weeks ago - after playing with the XTi for about 5 days, (I know this is a level up from you). I really enjoyed the XTi, but in the end I decided to go with D60. I found the colours on the D60 to be a more true to my eye, I like the build quality of the Nikon over the XTi as well as the kit lens on the D60, it does **** me off though that the D60 doesn't have the AF motor and it can only shoot raw+basic jpeg and like the other people here said I do miss the bracketing feature and the minutely faster focus, although I found it only really effected me in low light situations. Regardless of those negatives the colour is the most important thing to me and I wouldnt change it for the XTi or any other entry level DSLR!!!

Like I said, this is teh level up from you but I'm assuming that they are similar.

Good luck and have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hi, MasterC.

Have you got something? I am in the same boat as you and prefer to get a Canon (400D/XTi).

What you have decided?