Nikon D40 or Canon Digital Rebel XT

If you haven't decided. Neither, between the d40 and the XT, I would choose D50 :p..

Seriously Go with the XT, as other members point out it's far better almost in every area and it's well worth the extra $ it has over the D40

Hi, MasterC.

Have you got something? I am in the same boat as you and prefer to get a Canon (400D/XTi).

What you have decided?

If you haven't decided. Neither, between the d40 and the XT, I would choose D50 :p..

Seriously Go with the XT, as other members point out it's far better almost in every area and it's well worth the extra $ it has over the D40

I completely forgot about this topic, so sorry for replying late! I ended up decided to get the XT. It's supposed to be delivered on the 3rd, which also happens to be my birthday. :p I also got a remote shutter cable, a 2GB CF card (I'm going to buy more later), and the Canon 200DG camera bag. I'm so excited!

Marshalus - would it be possible for you to write a review of the D40?

The one that comes in the kit.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor lens

This is my first DSLR, and actually "my" first SLR. I had a Pentax SLR that was my mothers that I used when I was growing up, but I didn't really know how to use it. I don't really know how to use the D40 either, but I'm going to learn.

Ok. I've decided to go with the 400D (XTi). But picture from a kit lens on a Nikon 40D looks a bit better, imo.

Going to buy my Canon soon :p

Did you have any old lens with Pentax SLR?

Honestly I don't even know where that Pentax is anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Master C, how have you found your new camera?

I am in the same boat trying to decide between the two. I like the Nikon because it's easier for beginners, the larger screen and has a slightly better kit lens. The Canon is tempting because there seem to be more lenses available in the second hand market, also the better autofocus and the focus motor are tempting me as well. I can't come to a decision though.