Windows 7 M1 Release 2

Found via WinFuture.de:

On Thinknext.net there are screenshots and a video of Windows 7 M1 Release 2 (build 6574.1). There are only few interface changes, and one big change everybody who's been annoyed by UAC is going to welcome:

The best enhancement comes from UAC, annoying UAC (User Account Control if you didn?t hear of it. Well? I think even a non-Vista user hear of the infamous UAC). Now we all know it was designed to annoy users but no more annoying in Win7 M1.

When you issue multiple actions which require approval from UAC. At the second request Win7 pops up a dialogue asking would you like to temporarily disable UAC thus you won?t be asked. Choose Yes and you win. This is much more user-friendly. Why didn?t you geniuses do this in Vista?

You know at this dialogue no hotkey works. I couldn?t get screenshot so I took a picture.

newuaca.jpg

TEdit: Forgot the link to the source article... my bad.y bad.

Edited by Mephistopheles

It should have been that way in the first place. I have no problems with the whole screen fade effect as I find it helps me notice more about the prompt rather than the simple pop up in Mac OS X, the problem is that it just that it happens too much and becomes annoying after a while.

Hopefully this is the start where Windows 7 can actually become THE OS upgrade since Windows 95.

Anyway, can't wait for W7. :p

Me too :p !

Scirwode

At the second request Win7 pops up a dialogue asking would you like to temporarily disable UAC thus you won’t be asked.

From that screenshot it looks like it's just switching UAC to 'quiet mode'; not temporarily disabling it.

It should have been that way in the first place. I have no problems with the whole screen fade effect as I find it helps me notice more about the prompt rather than the simple pop up in Mac OS X, the problem is that it just that it happens too much and becomes annoying after a while.

Hopefully this is the start where Windows 7 can actually become THE OS upgrade since Windows 95.

Me too :p !

Scirwode

jeez, you've seen one screenshot and already cant wait?

doesnt look too different to vista to me....

The improvements in search look pretty nice.

The UAC improvements look good, too (although Vista's UAC doesn't really bother me).

holy crap... sweeet :) UAC isn't a terrible idea, just not implemented properly and this looks to be the fix.

I didn't shoot the picture. It does look like the monitor the picture was taken from is dirty though.

Too early to really notice any visual differences..that won't happen till later.

I've heard there are new views and some other underlying changes (speed, hopefully)...

..I turn my UAC off (it's my choice), but this will be a great feature...if it makes it!

it's called using a digital camera to take a picture of a LCD. The image is hi-res therefore you can see all the pixels in the LCD. Put your eye close up to your LCD and you'll see the samething :)

EDIT - Oh and yeah, there is some actual dirt on the LCD :)

jeez, you've seen one screenshot and already cant wait?

doesnt look too different to vista to me....

Considering it's M2, I'm not surprised. The design is only taken into issue very much later. Right now, they're just pinpointing the features that they will bundle into Windows 7.

As for my comment on I can't wait, why not? I've got nothing but time :laugh: .

Scirwode

I still think that segregating a 'Administrator' account and the 'Super User' account should be done. Like in linux if you're logged in as root you've already elevated yourself and can perform most tasks without interference. But if you're logged in as a SU then UAC-like dialogs should be presented.

Nice article. (lol at everyone calling bloody murder over a leak)

Where did he get this from? Torrent, IRC, someone who works at MS...? If it's anything but the latter then it's not his fault. Blame the leaker, not the messenger.

I still think that segregating a 'Administrator' account and the 'Super User' account should be done. Like in linux if you're logged in as root you've already elevated yourself and can perform most tasks without interference. But if you're logged in as a SU then UAC-like dialogs should be presented.

Windows already does this, it just goes a step further and disables the "Administrator" account by default.

We won't really know much until something is actually confirmed, but is Milestone 2 or just a second release of Milestone 1? Because Really Microsoft said M2 was scheduled to come out in April/May. So this release would be on time for M2.

As for the people still complaining that it looks like Vista wait till beta 1 or you may even see the beginning of changes in M3.

So far though things are looking good. I hope Microsoft gives this the polish that Vista lacked at RTM.

I hope this is like Windows 2000....fast and stable.

If they made a Windows 2000 x64 I'd probably be using that right now. lol

I hope this is like Windows 2000....fast and stable.

If they made a Windows 2000 x64 I'd probably be using that right now. lol

Didn't they make an x64 version of 2000 Advanced Server?

Didn't they make an x64 version of 2000 Advanced Server?
Four editions of Windows 2000 have been released: Professional, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter Server. Additionally, Microsoft offered Windows 2000 Advanced Server Limited Edition and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Limited Edition, which were released in 2001 and run on 64-bit Intel Itanium microprocessors.

Source

umm yeah, in the beta testers newsgroup. If you aren't part of it then you aren't supposed to know about it to give feedback :)

This seems like a bad idea. I can't believe they'd promote unsafe computing like this. What exactly is the point of having a locked down account when the users are just going to say, "shut up and run everything as an admin, because I'm too leet to get infected by trojans"?

what? you're not too l33t? I thought everyone was.... 12yr olds to 68yr olds online with mad l33t h4ck1ng skills.

Well... yeah.. not exactly but it seems everyone thinks they are these days.

"I know how to use google and follow step by step directions, WITH PICTURES!!! Yeah duh.... i'm l333t" :rolleyes: