[WIP] Firefox Beta 3 Linux Theme

From what I've heard many of you found the new FF3 theme rather ugly.

I think that the FF UI developers did a good job on the new XP and Vista icons, but they did a *great* job on the linux version.

Most icons come directly from the Tango! / Gnome Project or the FF3 Theme on linux. The Discovery Icons are made by Hylke Bons.

TO-DO List:

[*]add icons in the menus, still

[*]support for some other extensions

Progress:

Discovery's here!

Note: This theme is supposed to be a copy of the Firefox Linux theme in most parts - so some icons might be neither *real* Tango nor Gnome, but simply a Firefox 3 icon that sticks to the style guidelines. Best example is the add-ons icon - you won't find it in the Tango or Gnome icon package :)

post-165530-1216475052_thumb.jpg

FX3_TangoGnomeDiscovery.zip

Edited by MrFuji

Looks nice, unfortunately I'm more partial to Gnome icons :p ! Good effort though and I might give these a try (Y) .

Scirwode

^Thank you! A Gnome version (and tangerine then probably as well) shouldn't be too much work - If I have some spare time this weekend, I'll make both :D

great job on the linux version? more like, no job. firefox adapts to whatever is the default theme in gnome, and the result can be really ugly.

^Well, in fact I was referring to the icons that are not stock GTK icons. Like for example in the preferences menu. Or the livemark symbol. Or the bookmarks icon. Or the magnifier for search. And there are many more non-stock icons.

But if you wish, this can of course also be used as a more unified tango theme for linux.

btw, I run Ubuntu myself and I think that using the default gnome icons was a great idea which should've been included much earlier.

I decided to take the plunge into Firefox 3 Beta 5 as most of my extensions are now supported, so disliking the default XP theme, I've installed yours, and so far I'm liking what I see. Previous beta themes for Firefox 3 would render a lot of the tabs wrong and some of the icons look a bit out of place or a bit jagged but yours have none of those issues. I believe the Preference page deserves a lot of credit as I'm liking the icons that I see there.

I do have a few things I would like to point out (you knew I would have to say it :p ), which is that it does not replace all the icons in All-In-One Sidebar, and the Close tab icon is still the Firefox 3 version, which is blue instead of the Tango red version . I've added a screenshot to show you what I mean:

post-151171-1210805719.jpg

Overall, it is very good and I give you a lot of credit for it (Y) . Now, if only someone could make a FoxyTunes Gnome skin for Firefox 3, then I would really be happy :p !

Scirwode

I do have a few things I would like to point out (you knew I would have to say it :p ), which is that it does not replace all the icons in All-In-One Sidebar, and the Close tab icon is still the Firefox 3 version, which is blue instead of the Tango red version .

Close tab icon is now tangofied (together with some other non-tango icons) - Thanks for pointing that out (Y)

But as for the All-One-Sidebar, I fear that these icons are hardcoded in the extension. I'll try to look into that.

[updated first post]

i so happy for a tango theme on FF beta 5. this has been one of the most irritating things that held me back, and your theme looks simply amazing. i love the new bookmarks folder icons and overall it feels and looks really nice. Good Job (Y)

i have some suggestions for making it more tangofied -

1. RSS button

2. Bookmark button - star in the adress bar

3 Fruad identity button - make it square like the whole adressbar

post-231269-1210846397_thumb.jpg

1. RSS button

2. Bookmark button - star in the adress bar

3 Fruad identity button - make it square like the whole adressbar

Actually, these are already tango. Or well, at least there is a linux version of these. Compare it with the official linux beta theme :) I admit that these aren't the standard tango icons but they don't look out of place to me either.

post-165530-1210851215_thumb.jpg

Close tab icon is now tangofied (together with some other non-tango icons) - Thanks for pointing that out (Y)

But as for the All-One-Sidebar, I fear that these icons are hardcoded in the extension. I'll try to look into that.

Updated (Y) . As for the AIO Sidebar, the Gnome icons that I used previously, that were by Sooperdude actually changed the icons in the AIO Sidebar. Overall, it looks very nice, all I'm waiting now is a Gnome version, so no pressure :p !

Again, thanks for the quick update.

Scirwode

Actually, these are already tango. Or well, at least there is a linux version of these. Compare it with the official linux beta theme :) I admit that these aren't the standard tango icons but they don't look out of place to me either.

any chance of intergrating those with your FF theme?

any chance of intergrating those with your FF theme?

Hum, they are already integrated... really. Compare your icons to the image I posted.

However, first post updated. Gnome version released.

Another Update - again bug fixes AND a GNOME Version :D

Best news I've heard today :D ! Thank you for the effort (Y) .

Scirwode

why the close button is like that ? it is very close to edge of the tab

Do you happen to use the theme on beta5? I don't have this bug on RC1 - see attachment...

If that's the case, just update (and enjoy an extension-less firefox). If not, do you use any tab-related extensions?

post-165530-1211039864.png

Do you happen to use the theme on beta5? I don't have this bug on RC1 - see attachment...

If that's the case, just update (and enjoy an extension-less firefox). If not, do you use any tab-related extensions?

I've only just noticed that the close button uses the Tango red instead of the Gnome blue in the Gnome theme. Also, there are a number of icons in the addons menu and such which utilises the Tango icon, such as the archive icon.

Scirwode

Very nice theme....it's good that someone took over SooperDoode's project now that he isn't skinning anymore. May I suggest changing the name to just Tango Firefox for Windows? Or something like that.....the linux firefox just copies whatever icon set is being used...in fact, Tango isn't installed by default on Ubuntu 8.04. It's really great though. Anyway you could make the tabs a bit nicer? They're pretty ugly.

Anyway you could make the tabs a bit nicer?

I second that, as I quite like my boxy tabs in the previous theme made by SooperDude :p . Also, here's a bit of info in regards to skinning AOS, which can be found here.

Scirwode

I actually liked the vista theme but this looks great :) The one thing I miss about XP is the tango patcher :)

Edit small bug with the bookmark button:

post-159052-1211112619_thumb.png

Edited by ViperAFK

no i`m using it with RC1 but also i`m using tab mix plus extension

edit: when i disabled the Extension it works great but i hate those very wide tabs

I've only just noticed that the close button uses the Tango red instead of the Gnome blue in the Gnome theme. Also, there are a number of icons in the addons menu and such which utilises the Tango icon, such as the archive icon.

Close button fixed. Not sure about the other tango icons though as these are actually *Firefox* Icons...

May I suggest changing the name to just Tango Firefox for Windows? Or something like that.....

Anyway you could make the tabs a bit nicer? They're pretty ugly.

Agree, and changed.

They're native on XP now - Vista's native tabs look terrible though

I second that, as I quite like my boxy tabs in the previous theme made by SooperDude :p . Also, here's a bit of info in regards to skinning AOS, which can be found here.

Yeah, I found that already. I'll try my best :)

Edit small bug with the bookmark button:

Fixed :)

no i`m using it with RC1 but also i`m using tab mix plus extension

edit: when i disabled the Extension it works great but i hate those very wide tabs

Hm, couldn't even find a compatible Tab mix plus yet. If this bug persists in the offical compatible version, I'll try to fix it.