DivX To Support The MKV Video Format

Good news web video fans. Hot off the presses Doom9?s forums, we learn that the upcoming release of DivX 7 is going to support the Matroska video format! Now I know that many of you are probably asking yourself Matroskwho?, but believe me when I tell you that this is a big deal for both DivX and Matroska fans.

A DivX / Matroska hook up will not only give web video creators even more options over how they want to present their content, but it will also ensure that consumers are able to take advantage of these advanced features with their favorite consumer electronic products. In the past, Matroska fans have had to go through a painful and complicated process in order to get their MKV files to play nice with their DivX hardware devices, but with the 7.0 release, it should be as easy as hitting play on DivX 7.0 gadgets.

Read the rest @ http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-06/divx-t...v-video-format/

I hope this means PS3/360 updating to Divx:woot:t:

It would just be supporting the container, no? The video would have to be encoded in divx?

Thats right. In analogy to how divx currently supports avi.

This is brilliant news, lets hope Xbox 360 updates as soon as this goes gold.

It would just be supporting the container, no? The video would have to be encoded in divx?

Yes, this becomes apparent through my PS3 HD guide.

Essentially right now we can take MKV files and mux them into MPG/AVI/VOB and play them on the PS3.

The encoded files within the MKV are supported on the PS3, however the container itself isn't.

There are some side effects, especially notable with 1080p content and muxing/chopping up containers, so true MKV support would be excellent (Y)

Yes, this becomes apparent through my PS3 HD guide.

Essentially right now we can take MKV files and mux them into MPG/AVI/VOB and play them on the PS3.

The encoded files within the MKV are supported on the PS3, however the container itself isn't.

There are some side effects, especially notable with 1080p content and muxing/chopping up containers, so true MKV support would be excellent (Y)

Right, but it still wouldn't matter (to me at least) until mkv containers with video encoded in H264/X264 is supported.

I hope that the 360 soon supports MKV because at the moment it sucks donkey balls (mkv not the 360 :-) )

It's the only video container I have come across that has thousands of converters that all bar none - don't work.

Right, but it still wouldn't matter (to me at least) until mkv containers with video encoded in H264/X264 is supported.

Yeah true.

The PS3 supports H264 and X264, but just not in the MKV container. Which is why you need to remux to MPG. Takes about 3-4 seconds in the converter.

The PS3 supports H264 and X264, but just not in the MKV container. Which is why you need to remux to MPG. Takes about 3-4 seconds in the converter.

Details please, converter?

What so cool about Matroska besides that it supports subtitles embedded in the .mkv file itself?

It also allows for multiple audio tracks, so in things like anime you could have a dub and the original audio in one file.

I can't see why you'd want to put the encoder inside the video file, I'd prefer H.264 and AAC (or AC3) myself :p

It also allows for multiple audio tracks, so in things like anime you could have a dub and the original audio in one file.

So does MPEG-4 part 14, actually. But unlike MP4, Matroska is a completely free and open standard.

And there are other technical benefits of Matroska too. It does support AC3, while MP4 doesn't. This might be an advantage to some, although AAC and Vorbis are both superior in many ways to AC3 (Vorbis being free). It also supports embedded fonts for the subtitles which is quite nice.

I've been using Matroska for years so it's good to see further adoption of this great free container.

Matroska is open and free, but DivX isn't.

yea but everybody and their mother supports DivX nowdays :p

and i might add, OH HELL YES. i've been waiting for a long time for MKV to get widespread support. now i can finally get a PMP :D

Doesn't look like it.

Anyway, MKV support is great, but I'd like for more devices to be able to handle H.264+AAC content within the container. I'd also love for more tools to allow me to swap the containers (I've got one that allows me to build MP4 files from raw streams or AVI files, which is nice)