Neowin HP Giveaway starts 30th November

Update: Our contest is now live, click here to enter!

Neowin's giveaway begins on the 30th November. We will be asking members to make the Neowin logo out of real life elements and make it look as magical as possible. You could make the logo out of bananas, chairs or anything you can get your hands on. Be as creative as possible and take a picture of the finished product. On Sunday we will publish exact details on how to enter but until then you have an extra couple of days to consider what you will make your Neowin logo out of. Here's an example of a magical Neowin logo from the real world we are looking for:

98_neowincakesmall.jpg

Everyone who is registered at Neowin.net is free to enter and the prize list can be found below:

You may have noticed that the HP TouchSmart is absent in our giveaway, we have a reason for this. We plan to donate this system to a children's hospice in the spirit of giving and sharing during this holiday giveaway. We have not chosen the exact charity yet but we are in discussions with several charities in the UK who provide care and comfort to children with terminal illnesses and incurable conditions. Our aim is to present the PC to the charity and document its use. We will provide the system with a test version of Windows 7 for the charity to use temporarily and will interview the children and workers to see what the potential benefits of touch based computing, with Windows 7 and HP's TouchSmart system, could bring. Further details of the Charity and our coverage of this will be forthcoming. Please note if you are a Children's charity based in the UK or have a suggestion for a Charity please contact us.

The competition rules will be:

• Entries will open on Sunday November 30th 2008 at 00:00 GMT and close on Saturday 6th December at 23:59 GMT. Any entries after the closing time and date will not be counted.
  • One entry per member
  • Entries will be judged by the collective Neowin staff
  • Neowin staff and veterans are inelligible to enter - sorry guys!
  • The winners will be announced during the week of the closing date; they will be contacted separately with details of claiming their prize
  • This is an international competition and members from all territories are welcome to participate
  • Creativity and originality is favoured, so entries must be your own work
  • Neowin reserves the right to alter the terms of this competition at will

Stay tuned for the full details on how to enter on Sunday.

98_hpmagicgiveaway.jpg

Edited by creamhackered

Sigh.

I suck at creative things was looking forward to entering this competition.

Ah well.

Does it have to be a picture or can it be a short video that i can upload to youtube then embed into the forum?

Edited by Richard Hammond

This seems to be much harder than the previous Dragon contest.Why not making it more simpler so that everyone can enter ? :( And you are right & wise about your charity but you can count on me,that HP TouchSmart is the number 1 attraction for people who are entering this competition.Anyways......

This seems to be much harder than the previous Dragon contest.Why not making it more simpler so that everyone can enter ? :( And you are right & wise about your charity but you can count on me,that HP TouchSmart is the number 1 attraction for people who are entering this competition.Anyways......

Having a bit of a moan over thousands of dollars of prizes we're giving away? I guess you'll just have to put your creative hat on and see what you think of won't you?

Having a bit of a moan over thousands of dollars of prizes we're giving away? I guess you'll just have to put your creative hat on and see what you think of won't you?

I think like him, point is... and this is common knowledge, some people are way more creative than others, some people have 50x more free time than others.

This competition clearly favors them.

I think like him, point is... and this is common knowledge, some people are way more creative than others, some people have 50x more free time than others.

This competition clearly favors them.

Well if you don't have time to do something creative or do not want to make the effort then you won't win. It doesn't favour anyone really, all you have to do is take a bit of effort. If you can't be bothered then don't enter.

Well if you don't have time to do something creative or do not want to make the effort then you won't win. It doesn't favour anyone really, all you have to do is take a bit of effort. If you can't be bothered then don't enter.

I'm ready to do the 'creative' part, but it makes this more like a 'Contest' rather than a Giveaway.

*puts on robe and wizard hat*

sh*t. wait.

*puts on thinking hat*

I'm ready to do the 'creative' part, but it makes this more like a 'Contest' rather than a Giveaway.

*puts on robe and wizard hat*

sh*t. wait.

*puts on thinking hat*

That's because it is a contest. As per http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/blogger-magic/ "And each of them is running their own contest to give you the chance to win it all"

thing is, it's one thing to come up with an idea but a totally different thing to actually be able to carry it out, i've had ideas but i know i can't do them but others can

speaking as a non-Neowin staff member or veteran, but do any of you guys who work really hard to make the site the way it is get any opportunities to win competitions or do you get given freebies for your hard work?

speaking as a non-Neowin staff member or veteran, but do any of you guys who work really hard to make the site the way it is get any opportunities to win competitions or do you get given freebies for your hard work?

No unfortunately we don't. Sometimes we get to keep review kit but that depends really. If a company comes to us to give away prizes then that's what we do :) We can't keep them as that's not fair.

I should paste the ideas from IRC... but I'm afraid they'll close it :)

One idea I thought of was naked bodies to form the Neowin logo.... :whistle:

If you got snow you could always pee the neowin logo into it.

Yes this is exactly what we are looking for, well not pee but yeah that kind of creativity ;)

Yes this is exactly what we are looking for, well not pee but yeah that kind of creativity ;)

With Poo then?

For those who got xmas lights up quick redo it into the Neowin logo!

Edited by gnuman

With Poo then?

For those who got xmas lights up quick redo it into the Neowin logo!

Using faces won't be accepted either I'm thinking unless you manage to produce them in blue...

I am sorry to those of you who say 'some people are just more creative than others' ... but this is a contest. I would've thought a competition on a tech site that allows for a bit of creativity would be welcomed; too often us as technology professionals are confined to the 'technical' box with little opportunity for creativity. This combines both - your love of Neowin and a bit of originality and fun :)

Really looking forward to what you guys come up with. Keep in the seasonal spirit and try not to be too grumpy!

Edited by Rob