Apple Announces Last Year at Macworld, No Steve Jobs Keynote

We knew this year's Macworld was looking grim, but we had no idea how grim: Not only is Steve Jobs not delivering the keynote, Apple says it will be their last one ever.

Instead of Jobs, delivering this year's supposedly final Macworld keynote is Phil Schiller, Apple's senior VP of worldwide product marketing.

While we have confirmed this information with Apple, what this means for WWDC or town halls is unknown. We had predicted that Steve Jobs was preparing his farewell following his highly de-centered introduction of the new MacBooks. At the very, very best, this is another step in that direction, preparing the world for an Apple without Steve. We don't really want to think about the worst.

Apple Announces Its Last Year at Macworld

CUPERTINO, Calif., Dec. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ ? Apple® today announced that this year is the last year the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo. Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, will deliver the opening keynote for this year's Macworld Conference & Expo, and it will be Apple's last keynote at the show. The keynote address will be held at Moscone West on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will be held at San Francisco's Moscone Center January 5-9, 2009.

Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers. The increasing popularity of Apple's Retail Stores, which more than 3.5 million people visit every week, and the Apple.com website enable Apple to directly reach more than a hundred million customers around the world in innovative new ways.

Apple has been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its

award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.

© 2008 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Source: Gizmodo

Cue the 'Steve Jobs is dying' comments...

So is this the last of the Macworld expo as well since Apple won't be there? I guess Violet Blue really ****ed off Steve Jobs last year.

So is this the last of the Macworld expo as well since Apple won't be there? I guess Violet Blue really ****ed off Steve Jobs last year.

Macworld Expo is separate from Apple. It's just a trade show convention held by IDG--so it probably won't be canned unless more companies drop ship.

Not entirely unexpected given the downturn of the economy. I guess Apple will be focusing more on events held at Cupertino, like the Macbook and iMac launches.

What the hell? Apple has had skyrocketing success for the last 7 years. It's not like the money has suddenly run out so why suddenly bail out like this?!

What a joke.

What the hell? Apple has had skyrocketing success for the last 7 years. It's not like the money has suddenly run out so why suddenly bail out like this?!

What a joke.

I don't think success has anything to do with it really, but more on working on their own time table. Having large expectations and rumors before the Macworld keynote really hasn't done well on their stock, and this would let them plan around their own timeline and release products accordingly (rather than always having something to please investors every January).

I don't think success has anything to do with it really, but more on working on their own time table. Having large expectations and rumors before the Macworld keynote really hasn't done well on their stock, and this would let them plan around their own timeline and release products accordingly (rather than always having something to please investors every January).

I agree with this statement, and as scrtsqurrl, mentioned, this could help reduce costs for Apple in the long run and they could put it into other resources.

We had predicted that Steve Jobs was preparing his farewell following his highly de-centered introduction of the new MacBooks. At the very, very best, this is another step in that direction, preparing the world for an Apple without Steve. We don't really want to think about the worst.

Concerning this statement, there hasn't been any official word on Steve Jobs leaving Apple anytime soon.

Edited by Kevin.

What a joke.

It's easier and cheaper to have "town hall" launches from their own corporate campus, like they've been doing for most things lately. Also, they can disseminate info over the net instantly, and have their product in worldwide Apple stores ready to try the day its announced.

WWDC probably isn't going anywhere, since it's a convention specifically for developers.

Trade shows really are a holdover from the days of print. I'm sad to see them die (I went to four consecutive E3s in the past, and a bunch of local computer trade shows), but the web really has completely changed everything in a span of a decade.

judging from this i doubt that we can expect any big anouncements. no iphones, no ipods or mac-hardwares then :(

Well SOMETHING is bound to be changed/improved early on in the new year.

Who knows, Jobs might be there via satellite just to say Hi, LOL.

Schiller's OK, I suppose. It's not a major event, anyway.

MacWorld is not a major event? :blink: since when?

I have absolutely no problem with Apple and I think they make excellent products, but I will never understand the nerd erection that Steve Jobs instills in so many people.

What's wrong with Apple announcing new products like everyone else?

Not really surprised. Trade Shows cost a lot of money to put on and participate in. Money that could be better spent in R&D.

Trade shows do cost a decent amount of money, but its an excellent opportunity for tech companies to show off their new yet-to-be-released and prototype products. Just about any company will find their money well spent and appreciate extra attention they can get.

Kind of sad its coming to the end of the Steve-era. Actually kind of enjoyed those classic MacWorld keynotes with all the "Booms!" and "Just one more thing" parts despite not being much a Mac fan.

Trade shows do cost a decent amount of money, but its an excellent opportunity for tech companies to show off their new yet-to-be-released and prototype products. Just about any company will find their money well spent and appreciate extra attention they can get.

Kind of sad its coming to the end of the Steve-era. Actually kind of enjoyed those classic MacWorld keynotes with all the "Booms!" and "Just one more thing" parts despite not being much a Mac fan.

I'm sure we'll see more of him (I hope), just not at this particular show.

Possible reasons might be political:

After IDG announced a return of its East coast Macworld Expo to Boston from New York, Apple promptly canceled its own presence at the relocated event and refused to return even when IDG reversed its decision and moved the event back. The magazine publisher continued on with the New York gathering for 2004 and 2005 but was ultimately forced to shut it down as attendance dwindled and exhibitors rapidly backed out.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12...bs_keynote.html

why is everyone thinking that Steve Jobs won't present any more keynotes EVER?

the press release says that Apple won't be in Macworld anymore and that Steve Jobs will not do this next keynote. not that he won't do any other keynotes :s

why is everyone thinking that Steve Jobs won't present any more keynotes EVER?

the press release says that Apple won't be in Macworld anymore and that Steve Jobs will not do this next keynote. not that he won't do any other keynotes :s

Trade shows are a dying breed, anyway.

The important events are WWDC and CES.

CNBC insider: Politics Not Pancreas the Reason for Jobs' Macworld Exit

I can tell you that sources inside the company tell me that Jobs' decision was more about politics than his pancreas. Sources tell me that if Jobs for some reason was unable to perform any of his responsibilities as CEO because of health reasons, which would include the Macworld keynote, I should "rest assured that the board would let me know."

Apple has been trying to separate itself from Macworld for some time, preferring instead to host its own "special events" a few times a year. There used to be Macworld New York, Boston, Tokyo and other expos around the world. But over the years they have been scaled back significantly as Apple has been able to appeal directly to its customers via the iTunes website and its 250 retail stores which host more than 3.5 million visitors every week.

The fact is, Apple hosting its own events gives the company complete and total control over its own message. More and more companies are leaving traditional trade shows in favor of enjoying the total spotlight at their own events. I've reported recently that some big names are either dramatically reducing, or exiting all together, the massive Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28265938

No one will be able to fill the shoes of Steve, definitely not Phil Schiller. But its becoming clear that Steve is slowly transitioning himself from being the key in the Apple keynote presentations, not good for Apple, but the company will move on :yes:

Microsoft moved on when Bill Gates left his full-time position, and I'm sure Apple can do the same when Steve Jobs leaves his full-time position.

Actually, once Steve leaves, maybe the MacBooks will have FireWire again.