Weird 0 byte file bug

It happened to me twice now. First when downloading utorrent, then after downloading Adobe Acrobat. the files land on disk as .parts (I use FF) and when they finish, FF tries to rename file.part to file, but says that it has no permission. Afterwards I'm left with 0b file and correct file.part. If I rename the .part manually it works without problems, but that's not important.

What's important is that the 0b file is immovable, unrenamable and not deletable. I can't do anything to it. It isn't even used by anything (checked with unlocker), it just stands there without an owner. If I try to take ownership it tells me I can't. If i try do delete as Administrator it says I can't. Total Commander, command line, explorer, each with Administrator privileges, they all fail.

It'll probably work fine after reboot, but I can't reboot right now. It's strange though. Reminds me of the infinite directory glitch back in FAT16 times.

PS. It seems that when an unstoppable force (Administrator) meets an immovable object (that file), the unstoppable force loses. ;)

Reinstall FF

Why should I? I just installed it. I can't fathom anything that would come from installing once again the same version of an application that's as static as it gets. Besides, it's random. I've downloaded a lot of files and this has happened only twice with many succesful downloads afterwards. I'd rather think that it has more to do with AVG and its checking downloaded files right after renaming. They race to the file, AVG comes first instead of Firefox and bam, a glitch. I don't know how probable is that, but prolly no less than magical fairy dust reinstall powers.

Why should I? I just installed it. I can't fathom anything that would come from installing once again the same version of an application that's as static as it gets. Besides, it's random. I've downloaded a lot of files and this has happened only twice with many succesful downloads afterwards. I'd rather think that it has more to do with AVG and its checking downloaded files right after renaming. They race to the file, AVG comes first instead of Firefox and bam, a glitch. I don't know how probable is that, but prolly no less than magical fairy dust reinstall powers.

I had this exact same problem after trying everything to delete the file, Delinvfile was able to do it no worries

Delinvfile was able to do it no worries

Thanks, didn't know that one. :)

By the way, they disappear after 20-30 minutes by themselves it seems (at least mine disappeared before I could unleash Delinvfile on them).

Have you tried running Firefox as Admin?

I had to run uTorrent in admin mode otherwise it would spew out errors saying that it didn't have permission to write the files.

Nah, it wouldn't matter, since I haven't run into this bug anymore. It works just fine as an user. uTorrent also works fine. This is more of a funny glitch, than a showstopper, I just wanted to share. I've sent feedback and if it comes agan I'll just delinvfile it. :)