Windows Update -> Explorer crash

well, the title says it all, every time I try checking windows update to see if there's anything new, windows explorer keeps crashing. didnt have this problem when I first installed win7 and I'm not sure what's going on. Have tried rebooting.. anyone else had this problem at all?

Similarly, I've tried installing Roxio Creator 2009 (compatible with windows), but the setup keeps shutting off... it's not noticeably crashing, it just appears to turn itself right back off after it "loads the setup". it's a brand new version of the software and compatible with Vista, and I had no problems installing it on my XP partition, outside of it taking a long time. I havent had any kind of problems with the installation of my other applications.

Ok got it, thanks to Raf for this one:

go into the registry

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling

and presto

No idea why this started happening, but the above works to fix it.

go into the registry

and presto

ok I'll admit here I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to messing with the registry... where do I find it?

ok I'll admit here I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to messing with the registry... where do I find it?

click start button, type regedit in the search box, press enter. And then navigate to the path i listed.

I started having these same problems almost immediately after a balloon notification popped up asking if I would like to allow windows update to check for other Microsoft software updates (Windows Update -> Microsoft Update). I had been running this install for quite a few days with high stability, and not a single explorer crash prior to this.

I'll give the reg fix a try when I boot back into 7 later. Thanks.

made that change in the resgistry and it worked. the Roxio setup is working now too, cept for a driver that apparently isnt "signed".. but I'm sure they'll release a patch for that when the OS hits shelves.

go into the registry

and presto

I just overflow with joy when folks come up with wonderful fixes to issues like this. My hat off to the discoverer of this fix; that person is just brilliant. Kudos guys...

I also started having this problem,for me it began after i installed latest nvidia 181.22 beta forceware drivers,the ones which were suggested to be installed for mirror's edge.

But its uninstall didn't help so something really weired is happening.

Anyway thanks for the reg fix.

I just overflow with joy when folks come up with wonderful fixes to issues like this. My hat off to the discoverer of this fix; that person is just brilliant. Kudos guys...

Ditto....I was already prepared to reinstall and then I came across this little trick. I just have to wonder how many hours of installation this has saved all over the world.

• 9 months later...

I had this plus I have had other random Explorer crashing issues. Right clicking on the desktop randomly and one time trying to empty the recycle bin. I have tried disabling any shell extensions like Nvidia, Eraser and next I am considering removing Shelltoys

to see if that resolves anything. I wish the damn event viewer would give more details like a dumb files does.

If anyone has seen similar issues please let me know

thanks