Can not move files

OK, I am trying to move a folder from one drive to another and one of two things happen: 1. Nothing happens at all when I drag and drop it, or use cut/copy and paste or 2. From the command line I am told 'Access Denied' this folder is not shared and there is nothing at all running that would use it, I have tried pausing the AV program, but that did nothing at all, I also have tried the take ownership option for the files, but that makes no difference at all! Anyone else have any clue how to fix this?! BTW this is Win 7 build 7100 (RC) and everything is up to date!

I reset explorer and the system, no change and I am using terraCopy to handle all file transfers.

post-243659-1247371033_thumb.png

This is the same result I get while attempting to move it with explorer

post-243659-1247371251.png

This is what happens when I go to the command prompt

snipped

This is the same result I get while attempting to move it with explorer

snipped

This is what happens when I go to the command prompt

What I meant was to delete it completely, including from the recycling bin, then use a recovery program and set the recovery location to your second drive.

Lockhunter says nothing is locking the files, so I have no clue WTH is going on, I'm going to attempt to use moveonboot next and see what happens.

Edit: It appears to be the location that I am attempting to copy to that is giving the problem, I have tried to copy different files to that location and I get Access Denied, or system is unable to locate, error messages. I still have no clue what that means!

post-243659-1247403835.png

This is what Unlocker shows me about the drive.

Edited by Jonathan Nelson

What is the folder that you are moving exactly? "MI" or something?

Also why did you post a pic on the recycle bin? Is that corrupt too or something?

You can delete the Recycle bin on D Drive by running an elevated command prompt, and running:

rd /s /q D:\$Recycle.bin

I'm actually confused what the issue is still, have you tried CCleaner to remove any temp files?

CCleaner states: Windows 7 (preliminary support - stay tuned for more developments) from here: http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/introduc...m-requirements/

So I'm not sure if it works on your 64Bit Windows 7 RC. (Obviously before Windows 7 is actually released I'm sure it will be fully compatible)

As I stated in the edit of the last post, anything I attempt to move to drive E:\ will not move/copy I get the error message "Access Denied" or "The system can not find the path specified"

Is drive E a physical drive or partition, or a virtual drive? (or even a Network or external drive?)

What files exist on Drive E normally? Data System files?

Are you running an Administrator privileged account?

Have you tried Safe Mode? (this may have been answered, but I read it before, and I can't be stuffed reading again if you mentioned this or not :D )

E is a partition, it contains mostly data, yes I am running as admin, have not tried safe mode yet, CCleaner found 5GB worth of temp files and successfully removed them, and that still did not solve the issues!

In safe mode I was able to move the files, any idea what could have been preventing it in regular mode?

Thanks for the update

It must have been in use in Normal Mode. You cannot move files in use.

"in use" can be getting scanned with Antivirus, actually running in Task Manager, or been linked to from a temporary location (that even CCleaner could not remove, as it was in use)

Or it was just a standard everyday Windows hiccup (cross linked file or something) :D Probably most likely

If Safe Mode didn't work, you may have needed a bootcd to remove (or move) it

Anyway too many options. All done :)

OK, now comes the really odd part: On drive E I have a folder called games, I can not move anything at all into that folder, but I can copy to the root of the drive, I also created a new folder called games 2 and was able to move things into there with no issue! Now my roommate theorizes that there might be a difference between the Vista NTFS format and the Win 7 NTFS, with the exception of drive C all the drives were formatted in Vista. Could this cause the problem? Or is there some 'hidden' windows process that is locking that folder? According to LockHunter, nothing is locking that folder, but yet, I can not copy or move anything to it, but I can move/copy from it! Any other theories/suggestions would be helpful!

Does this happen on both Vista and Windows 7 ?

Have you tried Safe Mode ?

You may need to run CheckDisk on an elevated Command line:

• 1. VistaStartButton.jpg > Search > CMD
    2. Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter
    3. Click Continue on the UAC message
    4. Type CHKDSK E: /R then press enter key

NOTE: Answer Y if chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots (restarts)

You may have Malware installed, please have a look at this Guide: Viruses/Spyware/Malware Removal Guide

Never happened in Vista, in safe mode I can move files there. Here is what happened with CHKDSK

post-243659-1247524646_thumb.png

Edit:Note that is frozen at 14% on stage 4

Edited by Jonathan Nelson

Could Perfectdisk be 'locking' the drive with it stealth defrag? I did not think about it until now, but it seems that might be the most logical explanation!

Now, yet another twist to this! I ran Malwarebytes, and it found 0 problems, I attempted to do a Kaspersky scan of the Games directory, only to have it get to 79% complete and freeze, then the Action center pops up telling me that kaspersky was disabled, then a min or so latter it notifies me that both Windows firewall and Kaspersky were shut off. The system froze to the point that I had use the power button to shut the system off to regain control of it!