A taste of Windows 7 advertising to come

Although I?m sure a sequel to the inspiring documentary about human flight keyed to Madonna?s ?Ray of Light? otherwise known as the

have crossed their minds at least once, Microsoft seems to be taking a much more product-oriented approach comes time to promote Windows 7.

A number of conceptual TV commercial spots by director Marty Martin (awesome name) produced for Microsoft with a tight budget, short 3 days deadline and a Canon 5D Mark II SLR gives some clues to what the up and coming mainstream worldwide launch campaign for Windows 7 might focus on and look like.

Bearing in mind these are just three out of the five videos produced in total, here they are for your viewing pleasure.

Even though two of the spots are quite strange to say the least, from watching these spots one could assume for the mainstream Windows 7 campaign there will be a heavy focus on communicating the actual features of the product. For example, all three videos uploaded from the series of five produced utilize the final scene of the spot to illustrate Windows 7 in use, putting into context what the rest of the ad is about.

If the above assumption is correct, then the Windows 7 campaign would address at least one criticism of

where the product was almost completely ignored except for the iconic but non-sequitor Flip 3D reference.

The (first) college spot is definitely my favorite. Might be the soundtrack.

souricon.gif News source: istartedsomething.com

I?m using Windows 7 RC and when doing an Aero Shake the rest of the windows minimizes to the taskbar, but in the commercial you can see the windows fading behind the shaked window.

Is that a new animation effect in the RTM version or they just used this effect for the commercial ?

As opposed to all the other ads showing cyborgs :laugh:

I think they should do an ad showing someone reformatting their Macbook and installing Windows 7 instead. Just for the lulz. :p

I?m using Windows 7 RC and when doing an Aero Shake the rest of the windows minimizes to the taskbar, but in the commercial you can see the windows fading behind the shaked window.

Is that a new animation effect in the RTM version or they just used this effect for the commercial ?

Yep, but it was also working in RC (I remember that, but maybe thats RC with Updates)

I think they should do an ad showing someone reformatting their Macbook and installing Windows 7 instead. Just for the lulz. :p

It would be worth it, and if only to see the reaction from the hardcore Mac fanatics...

the fanboys are going to group suicide :rofl:

the fanboys are going to group suicide :rofl:

Hmm...

I'll brb. Just going to pick up a Macbook from PC World and my camcorder from home (and my Win7 RC disc)... :rofl:

I'm confused. What the hell do benchmarks have to do with the upcoming Windows 7 advertising campaign?

Shh... its only a troll.

Commercials are interesting, the windows movie maker is the only one that actually shows a point thoe. Aero Shake is useless. Ive been on Windows 7 for a month. Don't know how to use it. Haven't seen a reason to use it. Just added fluff. However the OS itself is leaps and bounds over Vista.

Yep, but it was also working in RC (I remember that, but maybe thats RC with Updates)

Thanks for your reply. I have RC (build 7100) up to date and I don?t see the new animation effect. Maybe what you remember is from a leaked post RC release.

My favorite Windows 7 ad is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI.swf

It features real people, their opinion about this new Windows version and some of the capabilities of the desktop. The other ads don't really focus on that.

Lol Linux nerds lying to people and showing KDE which was born copying Windows GUI over the years. Good attempt at trolling ;), I think you can do better. Try, again.

My favorite Windows 7 ad is this one:

It features real people, their opinion about this new Windows version and some of the capabilities of the desktop. The other ads don't really focus on that.

one word: ignorance :blink:

I heard KDE4 might reach stable soon, is that true?

I heard KDE4 might reach stable soon, is that true?

I heard it's at the stable version 4.3.1.

Ladies and gentlemen, brentaal's post here serves as an example of why Linux will not succeed on the desktop: The permanent infighting between Gnome and KDE users, Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE users, vi and emacs users etc takes away resources from making the actual software as usable as their commercial counterparts.

Definitely like the first one with the college girl as it has more flow, nice tune, and captures attention all the way through. The other two spots were boring and left me scratching my head what was going on.

Just an effect used for the commercial. There are also things that aren't exactly right; for instance, in the WLMM commercial it shouldn't be possible for that girl to simultaneously keep her project playing and working with the "Post to Youtube" dialog box.