An interesting interpretation, But the thing is that despite all that (and the fact that similar things happened for the Protheans as well) the reason Shepard was able to overcome all odds was because he was human. It was the reoccuring theme through the entire series. Being the first acknowledged Human Specter, humanity defeating the first and second reaper invasion. Humanity taking the initiative in the second and third games, etc.

This entire story was not just about defeating the Reapers, but humanity becoming the center of the universe. Going from newbies to head hancho because of the human ability to carve their own destiny.

That is true. The Protheans left the Crucible plans for Humanity to find because they [correctly] felt they had the greatest potential to unlock it. They could of easily left it for the Asari or the Turians or even the Salarians, but instead they chose Humanity*. So while yes Humanity did play a big role in completing the plan to stop the Reapers, but they were not alone. This plan was billions of years in the making and countless races sacrificed themselves to make sure others had the chance to follow through on it.

* Although the thought did cross my mind that the Protheans may not of chosen Humanity as their first choice at all. It was made pretty clear in "From Ashes" the Protheans had a contingency plan should they fail to stop the Reapers in their cycle (to rebuild their empire in the current cycle, using their knowledge from the previous - as in they didn't leave their tech behind for us to find, but rather for them to come back to and continue their plan). That plan failed due to the Reapers figuring out what they planned to do and the Crucible etc then defaulted to Humanity. Just some food for thought.

I got the impression human development (heck, all development that cycle) was majorly part of the plan and work of the Proethans. Did I miss something? While humanity ultimately needed to take on the task, it was the work of a previous cycle that brought that to fruition.

They did, the Protheans meddled with most of the dominant species of the current cycle with hopes they could be "uplifted" and join the Prothean Empire [in their cycle] to help fight the war with the Zha-til [The Prothean analog to the Geth] (and later the Reapers) but ran out of time. So they decided to cease all their uplift projects hoping the Reapers would just ignore them because they are too primitive and allow them to live on to the next cycle to fight another day. However, we don't know how much they meddled. The Asari and Hanar for example the Protheans significantly meddled with their development, but such meddling has not been shown in Humanity's development. Whether it wasn't shown or didn't happen, we do not know.

Um, the entire first game was Synthetics(Geth/Reapers) vs. Organics. And even then a significant portion of the Geth population worshipped the Reapers (which made them enemies). Yes, most of the game was meant to pit you against Synthetics. Even many of the Paragon options are skeptical of synthetic life (such as when EDI gets her new body).

No, you didn't fight them because they were synthetics.. you fought them because they were under Reaper control. The theme always was joining the galaxy (including Geth/EDI) against Reapers and then suddenly it was changed to synthetics vs. organics without any player choice (i.e. even if you had proven that synthetics and organics can coexist, you can't make the argument when it counts).

It saddens me that i still havn't got round to playing any Mass-Effect game, with all the ranting and raving over 3 i'm curious to even bother now.

Apart from the last 10 minutes, the game itself is great.

It's like a roller coaster where you drive at ludicrous speeds, laugh all the way to the end where suddenly the track vanishes and plunges you into a horrible, gruesome and painful death.

• Like 1

Even if she isn't physical, she is still a synthetic life form (she is self aware).

I'm referring to exactly that. I was just commenting on your chosen example, not your position.

It's like a roller coaster where you drive at ludicrous speeds, laugh all the way to the end where suddenly the track vanishes and plunges you into a horrible, gruesome and painful death.

It pains me to say that this was an excellent analogy.

Here's hoping the new extra ending DLC can bring things to and end better. Still sucks how you get shafted after all this, pfft.

It saddens me that i still havn't got round to playing any Mass-Effect game, with all the ranting and raving over 3 i'm curious to even bother now.

Even if you don't like the ending, leave it, and you have a game that is the one of the best out there.

For me, the ending isn't entirely disappointing. It is, but not entirely

No, you didn't fight them because they were synthetics.. you fought them because they were under Reaper control. The theme always was joining the galaxy (including Geth/EDI) against Reapers and then suddenly it was changed to synthetics vs. organics without any player choice (i.e. even if you had proven that synthetics and organics can coexist, you can't make the argument when it counts).

Reapers were synthetics, controlling the Geth (Synthetics). It may not have been particularly why you fought them, but that was one of the thing that defined them as enemies in the first game. Its like saying in Aliens that they weren't being killed because they were aliens, even though they ruthlessly attacked you. What they are becomes a reason if all you know of them is death and destruction. That's why in ME2 everyone freaked out when they saw a Geth wearing Shepard's armor in the initial ads. I'm sure 90% of us though "Shepard died?"

And to top it off, there didn't seem to be any indication that this cycle had contingency plans to safeguard information for a future cycle should they fail -- (I know Liara was working on a time capsule, but that didn't seem like the same thing).-- so it felt like all that previous work would be lost if Shepard didn't succeed.

Yes & No, remember that it takes the reapers decades to totally harvest the galaxy, Javik in "from ashes" was born into a harvest cycle that had already been going on for a hundred or so years so. There was still plenty of time left in the current cycle for someone to record the data needed to make the crucible. If not, it's likely that the information needed to create the crucible was seeded by the starchild or whatever in the first place, so they could just leave hints around again.

What is really great is that extended cut will be a free DLC pack released this summer to provide "closure" to anyone who wants it. However, I am sure everyone who is interested would buy it for the geth infiltrator even if it cost a lot.

thats a different dlc , and its being released today for free its called Mass effect 3: Resurgence Multiplayer Expansion

What is really great is that extended cut will be a free DLC pack released this summer to provide "closure" to anyone who wants it. However, I am sure everyone who is interested would buy it for the geth infiltrator even if it cost a lot.

The closure to DLC thing is a different package.

The multiplayer one, is another

Mass Effect 3 ending DLC detailed further

Speaking at the Mass Effect panel at PAX East (via) Penny Arcade, Bioware producer Mike Gamble said: "To be clear, the Extended Cut is not a re-imagining of the ending or a new ending. We're currently building it right now, our cinematics team is on it. Our writers are heavily involved. It's coming together."

So while it won't change the endings per se, it will expand on them to provide "more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey", as previously promised.

Gamble elaborated a little: "It's more than just a few cinematic scenes. We're happy to be doing it... We want to give more closure about some of the questions you have, and in general we wanted to give the players a sense of personalisation with the endings.

"Many people mentioned that some of the choices they made in the game are not necessarily reflected in the ending scenes. We're definitely going to focus on things like that. We want to make sure that when you see the ending of Mass Effect, you now have the information and context to be satisfied."

He added: "It wasn't in the game because we didn't know there was such a huge demand for it, to be honest with you."

They are either in damage limitation mode or they are ridiculously naive. After ME2 they made a big deal to point out that your choices will matter for the end of ME3 and that it wouldn't just be an A, B or C ending.

BBB says Bioware falsely adverstised Mass Effect 3

http://www.gamespot....ays-bbb-6371157

The Mass Effect 3 drama continues. Since the game launched last month, fans have vocally expressed their distaste for the endgame, claiming BioWare did not allow players to fully forge a unique destiny. Now, these users have scored a strong ally: the Better Business Bureau.

In a post to the firm's consumer news and opinion blog, BBB director of marketplace services Marjorie Stephens explained that BioWare directed a misleading advertising campaign for Mass Effect 3.

"The issue at stake here is, did BioWare falsely advertise?" she wrote. "Technically, yes, they did."

While I don't think there's any salvation in store for the reputation of Mass Effect, I can only hope that this gets the message across to EA execs that their customer base will not be trifled with.

The reality is they made a ton of money on this game, not just in initial sales, but also in the multiplayer packs. Corporate attitude will probably lead them to see this as a success.

The reality is they made a ton of money on this game, not just in initial sales, but also in the multiplayer packs. Corporate attitude will probably lead them to see this as a success.

People actually pay for mutliplayer packs?

Most people I know have 'bought' them with points earned from playing multiplayer. There [currently] hasn't been a cash only multiplayer pack.

People actually pay for mutliplayer packs?

I know some people who do :p

Although I like the multiplayer on it, to some extent, it doesn't have that thing, that sucks you in, like Battlefield 3, or Crysis 2.

Still a solid addition, I'd say. I was unsure about it at first, but gave it a couple of tries, and it turned out to be pretty good

All I expect out of the new ending dlc is to show more of the characters who are left and what they do afterwards. Sorta more of an epilogue than anything else? I doubt you getting shafted (unless you get the best ending which can only go down if you actually play some multiplayer right?) then that really won't change.

Besides, the way the ending left it up to you to actually pick made most of the choices you did in the last two games seem for nothing. Had the ending developed on it's own depending on a mix of all the big choices you did in 1 +2 and through 3 then I don't think anyone would have any problems. Still, all that time spent romancing chicks and I get that kinda ending! *sigh*

Oh damn I can't wait to play this game. Has been so hectic at work that I had to watch it collecting dust at home. Hope it will be better then 2. Really loved the first game but felt it declined somewhat with the second game.