iPhone 4S Benchmarked: Obliterates competition

Hmm, that's weird. I was pretty sure I'd seen several times since the announcement people here on Neowin commenting that Apple sells outdated hardware at high prices.

Most people forget that slapping high stats on a device will not automatically make it better. It is all about how well various components can integrate together and work as a single well tuned device.

• Like 2

To be fair I think you that they should have waited for ice-cream sandwich to come out before doing the test. I didn't realize iOS 5 was such significant upgrade. I would also like to see windows phone 7 in the benchmarks.

• Like 2

Most people forget that slapping high stats on a device will not automatically make it better. It is all about how well various components can integrate together and work as a single well tuned device.

True, it also seems that there is a lot of close hardware/software optimization going on here rather than just clockspeed increases.

sometimes superior specs on the paper does not translate into a real life superiority - esp. when the software is not optimized/polished enough...

so i guess there is no surprise as like the previous generations iPhone, new 4S just works well enough to satisfy its user.

though to be fair, we need to see the ice cream sandwich [android 4.0 ?] to see what Google brought on the table.

and i believe those initial iOS 5.0 GM scores will get better a little bit with [possible] 5.1 or 5.2 release ...

I don't think there is any way that the next version of Android would kick up performance that much.

Though it would be rather pathetic if they could, since that would prove that Android really is a mess. We'll see.

Im not any phone fanboy and i dont own any smartphone yet..

Samsung Marketing really worked on Galaxy SII right until the time that iPhone4S came to life...i mean...what a Knock Out !!!

It completely turned a big "bomb" like SII to a small little bang. I wonder how will Nexus 2 will come out. Impressive work on this new iPhone, i started to think that it would nearly pass Galaxy S2 but it came out to say...." who is Galaxy S2...!? "

Lets see how this goes

/sigh

The hardware isn't updated. It's lower clocked, but it has longer instruction lengths than most phones.

This is brand new hardware. Very fast hardware to boot.

Clock speed isn't everything.

• Like 2

The surprising thing to me is that even the Tegra 2 with an NVIDIA GPU in a Tablet loses out to the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S in graphics performance by over 110%

you can thank adroid's crappy optimization for that...

I love how they tested it against all the Windows Phones :o

I like how they tested it against no Mango phones.

Is it really a surprise that perhaps the newest, and most expensive phone on the market beats phones that have been out for 6 months (and not even running the latest OS versions)?

Wow brand new phone with the latest cpu/gpu is faster than older phones, in other news the grass is green.

Is it really a surprise that perhaps the newest, and most expensive phone on the market beats phones that have been out for 6 months (and not even running the latest OS versions)?

Most rational people would assume this, yes. But, as was seen after the iPhone 4S was announced, many were saying it would not perform well against current and upcoming Android phones. None of those have commented here, yet.

• Like 1