Browser compatibility update for Pegasus (main)

Today we've updated the main news site for a more lightweight, streamlined version of Pegasus that should fix all of the reported browser compatibility issues that have been reported by members.

We've tested this on Chrome stable, beta and dev and I think everyone will be pleased with the result.

We've also tweaked a few things here and there, like fixing the Welcome, membername text and have added a "Review" badge to the main news view feed so that it stands out a bit more (like Editorials).

As always we appreciate feedback, and hope you enjoy these changes.

On main please CTRL + F5 (or force refresh your browser) to ensure you are viewing the updated site.

Did this also remove the themes? I quite liked the dark one which seems is no longer an option.

Yes, we discovered that all of the options we added actually caused quite a few issues with certain browsers. In the past we've pretty much settled on an update and we hope that this final Pegasus look is a good trade off previous themes.

Also, these updates will be transferred to the forums in due course once we're certain everything is working properly.

Colors are too difficult to maintain for the main page, but we're thinking of returning to colored sections (like gamers and software news).

No more font-settings? I have OSX Lion with Safari, and Segoe font looks bad and blurry (only on neowin) :/ Please bring back at least one more font (for example: arial or tahoma). :rolleyes:

Fact is, that with the lovely options we had we were driving people away due to browsers crashing on Neowin. Now it could be down to add-ons and betas and alpha builds, but we need a site that works all the time, on all browsers.

No more font-settings? I have OSX Lion with Safari, and Segoe font looks bad and blurry (only on neowin) :/ Please bring back at least one more font (for example: arial or tahoma). :rolleyes:

Hm. I'm using Safari on Lion as well and have no complaints about how Segoe UI looks. Matter of taste.

On-topic: I like the upgraded Pegasus. Nice work. (Y)

Yeah, would at least like font settings to remain. Liked Arial on the front page, not so much Segoe UI.

Overall not bad, although I see things like fade animations removed for the dropdown menus, and no shadow in the background - perhaps for performance reasons.

I never had a single crash on this site in chrome stable, beta, dev, firefox stable, firefox aurora, or opera 11.5 :huh:

Scrolling does seem smoother with the new design though, and it seems snappier.

I think it only effects the main page. I hope it does not. I like The Darkside.

I, too, hope it does not. I don't want to leave (again) but the brightness gives me a headache.

IT WORKED BEFORE, DAMMIT.

Yes, we discovered that all of the options we added actually caused quite a few issues with certain browsers. In the past we've pretty much settled on an update and we hope that this final Pegasus look is a good trade off previous themes.

Also, these updates will be transferred to the forums in due course once we're certain everything is working properly.

Colors are too difficult to maintain for the main page, but we're thinking of returning to colored sections (like gamers and software news).

You guys didn't read the thread did you? lolz

Could there be a very slight gradient on the nav bar possibly? It looks incredibly flat and a slight gradient would make it jump out more. (Very slight gradient, not OTT like Old Pegasus was)

Wouldn't it be possible to keep the themes for front page and forum separate - as in have only Pegasus on the FP, yet offer the current selection of themes on the forum (for registered users)?

Wouldn't it be possible to keep the themes for front page and forum separate - as in have only Pegasus on the FP, yet offer the current selection of themes on the forum (for registered users)?

I believe that they are, at least for me. I use Dark Side and if the forum ever got as bright as the main page, I would have to find some type of CSS to change it.

This will prob happen, can't say tho its up to Neobond :p

What's up with the font?

Pretty much every site that I visit uses the Arial font group, and Segoe just looks odd. I would appreciate bringing back a font option, but apart from that I don't really care about the color changes.

Oh and I spotted a bug. The red editorial tag is not showing on the front page for editorials. Brad's "Microsoft, can you help us fight the bloatware battle?" shows the editorial tag in the actual article but not on the main page