Browser compatibility update for Pegasus (main)

Exactly what I was thinking lol. If you can't handle a site with a white/light bg good luck using the internet...

I understand that some people prefer dark themes, but the people posting that its "blinding" them are being extremely hyperbolic.

I am not exaggerating when I say the front page is too bright now, I avoid most websites that are overly bright/have white backgrounds as it causes pain. Sadly Neowin FP is now one of them, and with the forums allegedly heading the same way it will not be worth trying to tolerate. It's been said that a lot of people left due to not being able to read the front pages with all the options causing issues, why didn't they just turn the options off? What about all those who are going to leave as they cant have a dark skin/theme for the background. Surely that's what they're there for not just for aesthetics but for people who want/prefer/need darker backgrounds. Almost every site I visit on a regular basis has the option of using a light or dark theme.

And there are those that exaggerate :rofl:

Most sites have a light background.

I am not and neither is BeLGaRaTh, if the forums turn this bright and they take away the choice of which theme to use, I simply will not visit here as much a surely would not resubscribe to a site that gives me a headache. Neowin as far as the forums go should give the user a choice. I hardly ever look at the front page anyway and never now. It would be very odd for Neowin to take away the users choice as to what theme to use in The Forum. I do not use Pagasus and as far as I know, this only effects the main page.

Well, fix your monitors. The main page is NOT brighter than it was yesterday.

I did not say that it was. I said it does not appear as bright as it did yesterday. It may have something to do with the fact that I use Nightly builds of Firefox which change every day.

I did not say that it was. I said it does not appear as bright as it did yesterday. It may have something to do with the fact that I use Nightly builds of Firefox which change every day.

Was targeted at everyone who said it was brighter :p

"if it aint broke don't fix it"

it's bright as hell and wonky on chrome too!

Considering it's the exact same theme I was using, background and all, I would be quite unperturbed with this new change.

However, the current font looks more spaced and less consistent with my OS. Tahoma was much better, and I would appreciate an option to have it back.

EDIT: To touch up on the light issue, I have blue eyes which makes me more sensitive to light, but I find Neowin to be very well contrasted. It maintains a light theme while being easy on the eyes with subtle shades of blue instead of stark white.

Considering it's the exact same theme I was using, background and all, I would be quite unperturbed with this new change.

However, the current font looks more spaced and less consistent with my OS. Tahoma was much better, and I would appreciate an option to have it back.

EDIT: To touch up on the light issue, I have blue eyes which makes me more sensitive to light, but I find Neowin to be very well contrasted. It maintains a light theme while being easy on the eyes with subtle shades of blue instead of stark white.

I just tried The Theme Pegasus in the forum and I could never use that. It is way to bright for me. On every Forum I belong I have always used dark themes.

I just tried The Theme Pegasus in the forum and I could never use that. It is way to bright for me. On every Forum I belong I have always used dark themes.

The default theme is "Midnight" on the forums, same for the main page.. Pegasus used to be default but we decided ages ago it was too bright.

The theme colors will remain on the forums but the changes implemented to the front page will also be applied to the Midnight theme on the forums (and possibly other colors).

I know we can't please everyone and I never expected to either, but for the small minority of people that changed the default options of the site, a couple thousand were having issues even visiting the site due to the many options and style choices we made which were simply not compatible with all browsers.

The default theme is "Midnight" on the forums, same for the main page.. Pegasus used to be default but we decided ages ago it was too bright.

The theme colors will remain on the forums but the changes implemented to the front page will also be applied to the Midnight theme on the forums (and possibly other colors).

I know we can't please everyone and I never expected to either, but for the small minority of people that changed the default options of the site, a couple thousand were having issues even visiting the site due to the many options and style choices we made which were simply not compatible with all browsers.

Thanks, I just hope that The Darkside is left as is. :)

I don't see the need for this hideous shade of blue being used as a background when I had a beautifully pleasing light blue with slightly darker hexagons as my background. Colors are just that, colors. And with CSS and the few images this site uses, it can be adapted to an infinity of color schemes without breaking in any browser. If your layout is broken, then that's another issue, but don't throw the "browser compatibility" card as an excuse to dumb down the site and force a displeasing color scheme for your users.

Having options removed from me is not the reason for why I'm on my second year as a subscriber.

I don't see the need for this hideous shade of blue being used as a background when I had a beautifully pleasing light blue with slightly darker hexagons as my background. Colors are just that, colors. And with CSS and the few images this site uses, it can be adapted to an infinity of color schemes without breaking in any browser. If your layout is broken, then that's another issue, but don't throw the "browser compatibility" card as an excuse to dumb down the site and force a displeasing color scheme for your users.

Having options removed from me is not the reason for why I'm on my second year as a subscriber.

We've always had the blue look, and the majority of the feedback stated that we should have stayed that way. Thats why all the light colors are gone and we've unified it all.

I know we can't make everyone happy and I'm happy you subscribed the past two years, we're obviously worth it! :) But we also feel that we prefer to have the main page the way we envisioned it, rather than having to maintain a bunch of options that really did cause issues between browsers.

The darker background wrapper is obviously not to your liking but there are ways around it, with stylish etc.

And once again, for everyone.. the forum default theme will be made to match the front page, but the colors won't be dropped in the forums.

Things that caused issues with Chrome (specifically) in all channels: shadows, css gradients, lots of javascript files and cookies (mostly settings). This is why we slimmed it down a bit.

We've always had the blue look, and the majority of the feedback stated that we should have stayed that way. Thats why all the light colors are gone and we've unified it all.

I know we can't make everyone happy and I'm happy you subscribed the past two years, we're obviously worth it! :) But we also feel that we prefer to have the main page the way we envisioned it, rather than having to maintain a bunch of options that really did cause issues between browsers.

The darker background wrapper is obviously not to your liking but there are ways around it, with stylish etc.

And once again, for everyone.. the forum default theme will be made to match the front page, but the colors won't be dropped in the forums.

Things that caused issues with Chrome (specifically) in all channels: shadows, css gradients, lots of javascript files and cookies (mostly settings). This is why we slimmed it down a bit.

:(

I miss the light coloured background on the main page. Seems so dark now with the shades of blue.

I miss the light coloured background on the main page. Seems so dark now with the shades of blue.

I agree, at least implement a dark/light background option. I love the default theme but the dark background just depresses me. Surely all it would require is the additional set of JPG's or PNG's. You already have the choice of 8 different tiles, please make at least one of them light! (the stripey one ;))!

You could have waited till Google fixed their broken rendering :) Chrome 15 is terribly slow, and so are the beta/canary channels. Try gogling for "chrome 15 slow" and also try with 16 and 17... lots of complaints, lots of slowness from the allegedly "fastest" browser.

What's the ETA for the forums to move over to this fix? I also would like the font size increased in the quotes as i find it a little small. :)

I've upped the quote text 1px on main. Agree it was a bit too small.

Me too. :(