Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jnelsoninjax

Home burns while firefighters watch, again

329 posts in this topic

OBION COUNTY, Tenn.

Wow.. Just.. Just Wow.

Sooo... If someone was trpped inside of a burning building, yet the owner of it didn't pay that absurd fee, then would the firefighters just let that person die without making any attempt to help them?

6 people like this

"After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," Crocker said.

Bell and her boyfriend admitted they were aware but thought this would never happen to them.

I guess they were wrong ... they took a chance, rolled the dice, and lost ...

1 person likes this

Hmm, $75 a "year" is really cheap. Here in Shelby County in TN, if you live in the county, it's $50 a "month" for "county fire protection." Weirdest thing about it, is it's an extra fee on the utility bill. Sad that they lost their home, but a friend is a fireman, and he's told me the same thing, if you don't pay the fire protection fee, don't expect the fire department to do anything other than watch. And the main reason they're there to watch is to make sure your fire doesn't spread to other homes (which probably have paid the fire protection fee).

Sickening...

Makes me thankful to live in a community of volunteers.

2 people like this

Thats just sick and stupid of 'em

1 person likes this

They should at least give them the option to pay on the spot :/

4 people like this

Hmm, $75 a "year" is really cheap. Here in Shelby County in TN, if you live in the county, it's $50 a "month" for "county fire protection." Weirdest thing about it, is it's an extra fee on the utility bill. Sad that they lost their home, but a friend is a fireman, and he's told me the same thing, if you don't pay the fire protection fee, don't expect the fire department to do anything other than watch. And the main reason they're there to watch is to make sure your fire doesn't spread to other homes (which probably have paid the fire protection fee).

Sorry but that is ****ing bull****. They need to get off their high horses and do their jobs. They can collect the fee afterwards.
1 person likes this

Makes me glad im in the UK.

2 people like this

in austrlaia the fire dept is run by the government and they will help u, i think its completly wrong that they just sat and watched there house burn :/

lol wtf!! Thats stupid.

1 person likes this

I struggle to understand that such additional fees are even in place. Safety inspection, yes. But this was an emergency.

lol this is stupid. That idiot mayor should be fired.

I struggle to understand that such additional fees are even in place. Safety inspection, yes. But this was an emergency.

If the town/county cannot afford to pay the cost to run the fire department then the money has to come from somewhere. While I agree this is nuts and the money should just come out of people's local tax (this way they dont have a choice) it is even more nuts that people would choose not to pay the fee. Hopefully the homeowners have insurance (and if they failed to pay for that then they are S.O.L.)

This is absolutely crazy, I can understand the concept of paying for the service but surely in a situation like this, it should be dealt with and then claim the costs back from the family after. If they refuse to pay then they can be taken to court.

I am sure if there was someone stuck in there, they would intervene.

Sooo... If someone was trpped inside of a burning building, yet the owner of it didn't pay that absurd fee, then would the firefighters just let that person die without making any attempt to help them?

No, they'd still save the people (just like if you're in an accident and need treatment the emergency services will try to save your life even if you can't pay), they just won't save the house.

For those saying it's wrong: It's like not having insurance. Sure you might be lucky and not need it, but if something bad happens and you haven't paid, don't go complaining when they won't help you out.

$75 is really such a small amount to pay for Fire Protection, if they have the dough but don't want to pay, then it is their own fault. I think that this City takes such a hardline approach because there must be a lot of homeowners in the same boat, which the City wants to prove a point to.

They should however make concessions on the registration/renewal for homeowners who can prove that they are suffering financial hardship, and genuinely can't afford $75.

And they should also offer a non-subsidised price on a Fee for service basis. eg: Pay $75/year insurance Policy or pay a much higher price in line with the total amount of potential revenue that City misses out on because of all of the people who don't pay (I'm guessing that it would probably be much more than $10,000). Make them sign a contract in advance agreeing to it. I would be ironic if someone signs, doesn't pay, and the assets that the Fire department saved end up being repo'd to pay for Fire Department.

1 person likes this

Speaking as someone whose family is loaded with firefighters -

The fees are usually charged to those outside the community where the fire dept is located. As such, it really isn't their responsibility to provide fire services but the service is offered to rural residents as a courtesy and at their option.

The fees are used not only to help pay for extra use-related maintenance but also to defray the cost of extending workers comp, disability and other coverages to the firefighters providing out of jurisdiction services (yes, it matters.)

They chose not to partake, and this is the result. Their choice.

1 person likes this

The idea of A la carte emergency services scares me.

What's next? Do what Crassus would and buy a burning house for a modest sum while it was on fire then pay firefighters to put it out?

Ok, they should have paid instead of gambling with the fate. It's still stupid, dear Americans! Sort yourselves out before I lose my illusion that it's still better than post-USSR. Over here old six-axle ZILs will rush to any little s*t and put it out sometimes going across region borders if no other forces are available, sorting all crud afterwards.

1 person likes this

A lot of people don't know how reality works, at least in the US. For texas, in most cities you are paying the fire department with your property taxes. But if you are rural like me, the reality is that you probably rely on a volunteer fire department that isn't really getting paid. The truth is if you call 911 at 3am, you might get a volunteer to show up eventually but it won't be fast because these are volunteers with real lives. Where I live, I talked to the fire marshall for a near by city and he told me to call his department instead of 911. He said even though it wasn't their job, they would always come out and help us even out of the city. But calling 911 where I live, he said that wouldn't necessarily get you any kind of response because that call went to volunteers.

Reality schmeality. A lot of people don't know how America works.

q8EZV.png

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2010/10/fire-subscription-service.html

>

This article is not meant to bash the firefighters or city politics but to offer a viewpoint of the struggle the fire service has been facing in providing fire protection service to our citizens. According to the National Volunteer Fire Council, more than 70 percent of fire services are provided by volunteer firefighters, mostly in the rural areas of this country. Two major issues facing these organizations are the lack of people and the lack of money.