Home burns while firefighters watch, again

Even when you live outside the city, you still pay property taxes. I'm not sure where people get this idea that you don't. I live in the city now, but when I did live out in the county, our volunteer fire department was funded by the county property taxes. The volunteers were always quick to respond to a callout because if one house burned, the chances of it spreading to nearby houses was very high. My Dad was a member of the fire department for a while, and I remember them getting called out in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve one year.

I deliberately said city property taxes :shifty: There are still taxes, nobody can escape!! but it is just one less tax to deal with.

The house owner deserved it since they KNEW there's a $75 yearly firefighter fee AND they CHOSE NOT to pay.

This means they DENIED firefighter service to their house.

Case closed.

Firefighters were there to save people, NOT their PROPERTIES.

Can't believe how many people without common sense.

I deliberately said city property taxes

Yes, you did, but the person you were replying to never said anything about "city" property taxes, they simply said "property taxes". Your comment made it sound as if you thought they didn't pay any property taxes at all.

So.... if firefighters have this option, does that mean police should too? I would love to skip my police subscription fee, so the next time I get pulled over, I can be like "Yeah too bad, I didn't pay my fee, see ya!"

Aside from joking, this is sickening. I have never heard of this here in the US, and it makes me sad to now.

what people here don't understand is the concept of jurisdictions here in the united states.

Federal

State

County

Local

everyone pays taxes to each of these levels.

Police forces always exist at the top three levels. That would be the FBI, State Troopers, and County Sheriffs respectively. A huge area of the united states that is sparsely populated does not have the tax base to pay for any local services including police and fire. They can easily rely on the county and state for policing... but counties and states usually don't have fire departments as it is almost universally a Local ONLY service

almost all fire departments are at the local level, mainly in large cities. Rural areas might have volunteers.

Large City A can not tax Rural Town B because Rural Town B cannot vote in their elections(no taxation without representation) but at the same time Large City A has no responsibities to Rural Town B. 'A' Couldn't do it even if it wanted to because Rural areas are so vast and it would cause their city to go over budget and maybe for it into bankruptcy.

They made a little workaround. Since Large City A cannot tax B they CAN make themselves a subscription service.

Does that imply that outside US there are no extremely low population areas at all? Because you've seen some cities, took some buses and trains?

And that States run their rural territories in a "devil may care" fashion is completely ok?

If you have a home on a Swiss mountainside, Scandinavian Island, or other rural European areas you would pretty much be on my own for a long while other then maybe neighbors if there are any helping. Your higher taxes aren't going to do a thing for someone who lives remotely just like people who live in rural Alaska, Appalachia, desert SouthWest, and Rockies would be on their own as well.

I do think they should have put the fire out if the home was salvagable when they arrived and charged any past fees not paid on top of extra fees. That way they wouldn't come out ahead for not paying.

Human decency is a rare trait these days.... It's not all about money.... Doesn't matter what the charge is, it just isn't right to sit and watch a house burn or someone suffer, especially if you have the tools and ability to help. But no, now everyone has to pay if they want help. What a sick society and mindset that has fallen upon us.

I'm sure everyone would abuse this.... Everyone will just be lighting their houses and cars on fire all the time.... makes tons of sense. Don't pay, no service, or else everyone will just abuse it.

While it's stupid that they let the house burn down.. I can understand why they would request payment. I pay 74$ a month for house insurance, so in the event of a fire / flood / zombie invasion, I will get money back, a place to live, etc, etc. I don't think it's the mayors fault, and I think that the people should have played the better safe than sorry, and just paid the fire-rate.

Human decency is a rare trait these days.... It's not all about money.... Doesn't matter what the charge is, it just isn't right to sit and watch a house burn or someone suffer, especially if you have the tools and ability to help. But no, now everyone has to pay if they want help. What a sick society and mindset that has fallen upon us.

I'm sure everyone would abuse this.... Everyone will just be lighting their houses and cars on fire all the time.... makes tons of sense. Don't pay, no service, or else everyone will just abuse it.

i hate to tell you. It's all about money and workman's comp amoung several other things. Maybe with this being the second time it has happened people will wise up and pay the measly $75/year

So tell me this,

If the firefighter did put out the fire, then why should everyone pay? They can just hold off the measly $75 per year and pay in cash when a real emergency happens, right?

OK.

Then who is going to pay for the running cost of fire stations? fuel cost for fire trucks? equipment maintenance? insurance?

This is a case of your responsibility and your choice.

P.S. and yes human decency of the home owner.

So tell me this,

If the firefighter did put out the fire, then why should everyone pay? They can just hold off the measly $75 per year and pay in cash when a real emergency happens, right?

OK.

Then who is going to pay for the running cost of fire stations? fuel cost for fire trucks? equipment maintenance? insurance?

This is a case of your responsibility and your choice.

P.S. and yes human decency of the home owner.

Because it is the right thing to do. It's called human compassion. Really? Is it that hard of a concept?

I'm not a trained medic, but if someone is hit by a car, and I don't try to help them, I can be found guilty for not aiding them... So the same should apply to those who are firefighters.

If you are a fire fighter, you go into the business to protect people. It shouldn't be about money.

But hell, if you have this hard of a concept understanding human decency and compassion, this is already a lost cause try and reason with you guys.

So ****ing unbelievable... No one is going to abuse a the fire fighters system. People don't just set **** on fire for the hell of it, and if they do, that is a whole other issue for the police.

But no, lets just only help those who can afford the help, cause the is the right way to do anything... based off of class and wealth.... I seriously hope none of you guys are supposed "Christians", because if so, you are ignoring EVERYTHING that is basically what Jesus preached.....

i hate to tell you. It's all about money and workman's comp amoung several other things. Maybe with this being the second time it has happened people will wise up and pay the measly $75/year

Exactly. Services can't be provided for free, or there will be even more unemployed and impoverished citizens in the United States than there are today.

If I were to walk into McDonalds and have no money, but go up to the cashier and say "I'm hungry, please give me some free food." ..........they would ask me to leave. No money, no goods/services.

This just highlights three things - American immorality, American lack of common sense, and dumb laws that do not tax everyone for common social safety net services like HealthCare, Police, Infastructure, and Firefighters...

Next Ambulances will be installed with credit card scanners and ATM's, may as well get a taxi.

Well they already are, you should avoid ambulances in America too.

Always amazes me just how little, Americans ACTUALLY care about each other. Yet you'll fly that ****ing flag all day long. United my arse.

Obviously, I don't want to tar you all with the same brush, but ffs people, make it right.

There is no profit in caring. It is simply not the American way.

Because it is the right thing to do. It's called human compassion. Really? Is it that hard of a concept?

I'm not a trained medic, but if someone is hit by a car, and I don't try to help them, I can be found guilty for not aiding them... So the same should apply to those who are firefighters.

If you are a fire fighter, you go into the business to protect people. It shouldn't be about money.

But hell, if you have this hard of a concept understanding human decency and compassion, this is already a lost cause try and reason with you guys.

So ****ing unbelievable... No one is going to abuse a the fire fighters system. People don't just set **** on fire for the hell of it, and if they do, that is a whole other issue for the police.

That didn't answer his question....he asked, who is going to pay for it if the citizens don't. The fuel, trucks, payroll, etc for the Fire Dept does not total zero dollars in cost....someone has to pay for it. In your example of helping someone who is hurt, its not Apples to Apples because that example is not costing you anything. A better example would be: You see a homeless person who is sick on the street and needs medical attention. Are you going to offer up potentially thousands of dollars to pay to get this person medical treatment? I highly doubt it.

But no, lets just only help those who can afford the help, cause the is the right way to do anything... based off of class and wealth.... I seriously hope none of you guys are supposed "Christians", because if so, you are ignoring EVERYTHING that is basically what Jesus preached.....

Funny thing that you used "business" and "shouldn't be about money" in one sentence.

Anyway,

The firefighters were there to save people. And they did. They just didn't protect the home owner's property.

And

Isn't paying $75 a right thing to do? Since the home owner clearly understand the law?

A grandiose exhibit of the sense of entitlement. rofl

That didn't answer his question....he asked, who is going to pay for it if the citizens don't. The fuel, trucks, payroll, etc for the Fire Dept does not total zero dollars in cost....someone has to pay for it. In your example of helping someone who is hurt, its not Apples to Apples because that example is not costing you anything. A better example would be: You see a homeless person who is sick on the street and need medical attention. Are you going to offer up potentially thousands of dollars to pay to get this person medical treatment? I highly doubt it.

Not everyone wouldn't pay. But again, you just fail at human compassion and decency.

First, You make up the dumbest possible analogies ever. It isn't McDonalds responsibility to feed you. They are a business that sells a luxury. Fire Fighters though, are there to fight fires that happen within the city. Do you even know what the common fire fighter code is???? Here, let me educate you even more on other details of life...

As a firefighter and member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, my fundamental duty is to serve humanity; to safeguard and preserve life and property against the elements of fire and disaster; and maintain a proficiency in the art and science of fire engineering.

I will uphold the standards of my profession, continually search for new and improved methods and share my knowledge and skills with my contemporaries and descendants.

I will never allow personal feelings, nor danger to self, deter me from my responsibilities as a firefighter.

I will at all times, respect the property and rights of all men and women, the laws of my community and my country, and the chosen way of life of my fellow citizens.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the fire service. I will constantly strive to achieve the objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen profession?saving of life, fire prevention and fire suppression.

As a member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, I accept this self-imposed and self-enforced obligation as my responsibility.?

You don't serve humanity based off of how much they pay you. Fire fighters are there to help the nation. Does no good to just let places burn. We should all be trying to help each other. But again, most of you are too ****ing selfish to even be able to think of such an idea without getting a nose bleed.

Funny thing that you used "business" and "shouldn't be about money" in one sentence.

Anyway,

The firefighters were there to save people. And they did. They just didn't protect the home owner's property.

And

Isn't paying $75 a right thing to do? Since the home owner clearly understand the law?

A grandiose exhibit of the sense of entitlement. rofl

Fire fighters aren't a business. It is a service. Fire fighting isn't about making money or profit, it is about saving lives, property, and other things from the destruction of fire.

Not everyone wouldn't pay. But again, you just fail at human compassion and decency.

First, You make up the dumbest possible analogies ever. It isn't McDonalds responsibility to feed you. They are a business that sells a luxury. Fire Fighters though, are there to fight fires that happen within the city. Do you even know what the common fire fighter code is???? Here, let me educate you even more on other details of life...

As a firefighter and member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, my fundamental duty is to serve humanity; to safeguard and preserve life and property against the elements of fire and disaster; and maintain a proficiency in the art and science of fire engineering.

I will uphold the standards of my profession, continually search for new and improved methods and share my knowledge and skills with my contemporaries and descendants.

I will never allow personal feelings, nor danger to self, deter me from my responsibilities as a firefighter.

I will at all times, respect the property and rights of all men and women, the laws of my community and my country, and the chosen way of life of my fellow citizens.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the fire service. I will constantly strive to achieve the objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen profession?saving of life, fire prevention and fire suppression.

As a member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, I accept this self-imposed and self-enforced obligation as my responsibility.?

You don't serve humanity based off of how much they pay you. Fire fighters are there to help the nation. Does no good to just let places burn. We should all be trying to help each other. But again, most of you are too ****ing selfish to even be able to think of such an idea without getting a nose bleed.

Fire fighters aren't a business. It is a service. Fire fighting isn't about making money or profit, it is about saving lives, property, and other things from the destruction of fire.

They are all volunteering firefighters. The $75 is for equipment mantenance.

Try again.

These guys risk their lives and you dont want to pay? Sorry, you deserve it.

That sums it up quite nicely. Next thing you know, people will be complaining that we shouldn't have to pay for military personnel to protect the country, they should offer up their services for free!

http://www.thefreedi...ary.com/decency

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Compassion

You all lack it. Good job.

$75 is nothing. It surely isn't a amount worth letting a house burn over for. But again, you are all just that horrible of people, that you would let someone's house burn over it.

I'm sure if it was your house, or your parents house, you would have a much different tune. But you are too apathetic and disconnected from what makes a decent human being. Pathetic and disgusting.

This just highlights three things - American immorality, American lack of common sense, and dumb laws that do not tax everyone for common social safety net services like HealthCare, Police, Infastructure, and Firefighters...

Well they already are, you should avoid ambulances in America too.

There is no profit in caring. It is simply not the American way.

Your poor attempt at trolling with your totally ignorant comments really doesn't even deserve a response, but I should point out to you that you don't seem to know the first thing about America.

You just don't understand how the country works. It's nothing to do with being selfish, it's about people wanting to mooch off the system. You either: 1.) Don't have a real job, or 2.) Don't understand how money works.

Sorry shakey, but the world does not work that way. Decency dont bring food to your table in this case.

Should insurance companies give you money in case of a tragedy if you dont have insurance?

Actually, it can work that way, if people would try and do. Instead, when they have the horrible, self centered, apathetic views and actions as what is being represented in these forums, it surely will not.

What about charities? Should they stop offering free services to others?

Here is a saying everyone needs to ****ing learn. Everyone knows the first part, they tend to ignore the 2nd.... "The world is not fair. But we as humans have the power to change the world."

We can make things work, if people try. But if you are hell bent on watching it burn, well then, that is what will happen.

So yes, try and make excuses on why to not be a decent, compassionate, helpful human. And instead, bicker about petty money. Pathetic, all of you.

Sorry shakey, but the world does not work that way. Decency dont bring food to your table in this case.

Should insurance companies give you money in case of a tragedy if you dont have insurance?

Why yes, yes they should. And I should get free college, and a free house if I can't afford one (it's a basic need right?), and someone to buy me a new coat when I am cold, and someone should make long term investments for me using their own money so my future is secure......all of this I am entitled to....didn't you know? /s