Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Res. 'Retina Display' MBP in Q2 2012?

Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Resolution 'Retina Display' MacBook Pro in Q2 2012?

In a report sure to excite our readers, DigiTimes is saying that Apple may be readying an ultra high-resolution MacBook Pro for as early as Q2 2012:

Apple is likely to launch its new MacBook Pro lineup with a display resolution of 2880 by 1800 in the second quarter of 2012, setting a new round of competition for panel specifications in the notebook industry, according to sources in the upstream supply chain.

The publication cites supply chain partners as the source for the information which would double the resolution of the MacBook Pro to 2880x1800 pixels.

This new high resolution MacBook Pro would presumably be a 15" model which currently carries a native resolution of 1440x900 pixels. By doubling the resolution in each dimension, Apple would achieve four times the number of pixels and provide developers an easy way to scale existing artwork.

We've known about Apple's work to support these ultra high resolution screens, but we didn't necessarily expect them to arrive so soon. That said, support seems to be building for exactly such a thing.

Intel's upcoming Ivy Bridge processors are known to support resolutions as high as 4096x4096. Meanwhile, Apple has already added new "HiDPI" modes in Lion that support this resolution-doubling mode. Apple has even added ultra-high resolution artwork in Lion with desktop images at 3200x2000 pixels and icons at 1024x1024 pixels.

And Apple's not the only company preparing for the possibility. Microsoft is also building in support for high dpi monitors in Windows 8.

A Q2 2012 launch would place it near what has been expected to be the arrival of a 15" MacBook Air. Based on the expected timing of that product (Q1 2012), it seems this MacBook Pro may be a different product altogether.

Source: Mac Rumors

• Like 1

Sounds great, but wouldn't the text be awful small even on a 17" MBP. Darn people complain abut how small the text is on the iMac 27".

You can always choose a lower one, in case you find the text too small

OMG! This is gonna be awesome! So, now I will have one more reason to get an Apple notebook. I wonder how will it look!

OMG! This is gonna be awesome! So, now I will have one more reason to get an Apple notebook. I wonder how will it look!

If it's anything like the iPhone 4/4S displays, it'll look epic.

I still hate my 15" Hi res MBP. My eyes literally scream for mercy as the high resolution makes the text uncomfortably small. Increasing DPI in Windows 7 causes all sorts of app compatibility problems and images appear blurry.

How to increase DPI in OSX Lion? I have almost stopped using Lion just because of that.

What's the point if these super high res displays are going to make the text unreadable?

A radically new approach is needed where the text displayed appears to be of same size irrespective of resolution and screen size.

• Like 2

If this is true, I'll be buying one. One of the main reasons my last laptop was not a MBP was the pathetically low resolutions on the 13" and 15" models (no 1920x1080 or higher). An issue which, two and a half years later, has not yet been solved by Apple.

Oh I thought this was going to be for a new high res monitor...I love high res but cant imagine that resolution on 15" or 17"

You probably won't notice a difference in text sizes. If they're doing a retina display, I'm sure they're finally using resolution independence... to make it look more like an iPhone 4/4S display.

This would make me seriously consider getting a MBP, wonder how it'd work out with gaming as well...

LOOOOOL

Trying to game on a Macbook at that resolution would be a slideshow.

• Like 3

You can always choose a lower one, in case you find the text too small

Oh I thought this was going to be for a new high res monitor...I love high res but cant imagine that resolution on 15" or 17"

You people do realize that all interface elements will be scaled up like x2 or so? With the iPhone 4(S) in mind you'd think this is more than obvious.

However, this thing will be a complete and utter disaster for early adapters unless Apple is already working behind the scenes with software companies like Microsoft and Adobe to make their software compatible. By themselves I don't see Microsoft and Adobe update their software until their next major update is due, and even then both companies are notoriously infamous for their dated and non-standard software interfaces.

I wonder how this thing will play out on the software side of things, if it indeed turns out to be true.

1440 x 900? I'm sure recent Macbook GPUs can handle that.

They're talking about that it would be nearly impossible to game at native resolution on a MacBook Pro with "Retina Display".

I would be very skeptical about this. I doubt this will happen, they will probably upgrade their resolutions but not to this extent. Knowing Apple this will occur in maybe 2-3 MBP generations from now!

Yes, because Apple was never on the frontline to adopt new tech! Oh, wait... Never mind.

I personally haven't seen Apple really 'inventing' any new technology, they usually enhance old technology.

Also, if this is going to happen, MacBook won't be the only one (but since your source is MacRumors they only mention the MacBook):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246239/super_highres_displays_may_come_to_ultrabooks_and_macbooks_in_early_2012.html

I personally haven't seen Apple really 'inventing' any new technology, they usually enhance old technology.

To invent ≠ to adopt. Try reading something twice before posting next time, it could benefit the conversation.