Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Res. 'Retina Display' MBP in Q2 2012?

To invent ≠ to adopt. Try reading something twice before posting next time, it could benefit the conversation.

I'm sorry for not noticing that word, there's no need to be so rude.

I would be very skeptical about this. I doubt this will happen, they will probably upgrade their resolutions but not to this extent. Knowing Apple this will occur in maybe 2-3 MBP generations from now!

I personally haven't seen Apple really 'inventing' any new technology, they usually enhance old technology.

Also, if this is going to happen, MacBook won't be the only one (but since your source is MacRumors they only mention the MacBook):

http://www.pcworld.c...early_2012.html

You two must be kidding. Last year, it was supposed to be equally 'impossible' for Apple to release a 960x640 3.5" display at a price people could actually afford. And yet here we are. They quadrupled their phone resolution, just like that, and even 18 months later its still one of the highest pixel density phones on the market if not the very highest.

Apple is not Acer or Asus or Dell. They have $82 billion in cash. That buys a *lot* of engineering, a *lot* of manufacturing and a *lot* of supply chain control. Look at how Apple turns great profit on products like the MacBook Air or iPad 2, while other manufacturers have to lose money if they want to sell their similarly specced tablets and ultraportables at a comparable price.

I'm not saying these displays will happen, but they definitely could happen, and definitely could be exclusive to the Mac for quite some time.

I'm sorry for not noticing that word, there's no need to be so rude.

I was being firm with you because you were putting words in my mouth: Nowhere in my reply did I talk about Apple "inventing" new technologies. Yet you quoted the word "invent" insinuating that I said it in the process.

I'm not saying these displays will happen, but they definitely could happen, and definitely could be exclusive to the Mac for quite some time.

OS X Lion does allow for a 2x resolution similar to iOS. Things like desktop pictures and even certain app resources (there are icons present in Lion that scale up to a whopping 1024 x 1024 pixels) are already there. Apple could finish things up relatively easy in a software update.

My main concern lies with third-party software though.

Look at how Apple turns great profit on products like the MacBook Air or iPad 2, while other manufacturers have to lose money if they want to sell their similarly specced tablets and ultraportables at a comparable price.

Uhm, source please? Don't you mean better specced tablets at a lower price?

The word "invent" was nowhere in my reply either.

Second time you've said that, I got it already..

Yes and I explained why I reacted the way I did. But I'm glad you get it.

BlackBerry Playbook? HP TouchPad? No need for a source really, it's common knowledge both companies loose money on it. Nor are either of those two "better specced". I believe the HP TouchBook actually had a faster chip in it than de iPad 2 (not entirely sure though) but even HP engineers admitted WebOS runs great on an iPad 2, while it lags on their own TouchBook. In the end it's about real-world performance, not what it says on paper.

That resolution seems ridiculously high to me for a 17" and especially 15" screen size. I wouldn't doubt that software will be playing catch up and a lot of rasterized UI elements (like toolbar buttons in Word 2011) are going to be annoyingly small. Text should look amazing though if they can work out the dpi settings correctly, the only problem with small text should just be a rendering problem.

All that being said, the closest I ever have my 15" MBP is in my lap. That's quite a large distance when compared to my iPhone that's held up to my face or my iPad which is held a few inches further back. I notice the poor resolution on my iPad the most, even though the PPI is higher than my MBP (MBP PPI=128, iPad PPI=132).

I would much rather spend my money on a higher resolution iPad than a MBP but I don't plan to buy either (at least no next year).

OS X Lion does allow for a 2x resolution similar to iOS. Things like desktop pictures and even certain app resources (there are icons present in Lion that scale up to a whopping 1024 x 1024 pixels) are already there. Apple could finish things up relatively easy in a software update.

My main concern lies with third-party software though.

They could do what MS did and make it opt-in (On Windows, if the app doesn't mark itself as DPI aware, it renders at the normal res and the DWM scales it to match the resolution of the display)

It's backwards compatible as well, all current apps would just be scaled, new apps would opt in.

Honestly, resolution independence would resolve people's concerns with the small text... If only they would get their act together and get it working properly. I think they're forgetting that they're going to need the co-operation of devs to actually make it successful, too. No one likes seeing blurry or pixelated bitmaps.

1440x900 on my 15" is annoyingly low.

Would have much preferred the 1680x1050 model although still would have preferred a 1920x1080 screen.

Just waiting....

ya, slightly better slightly, less optimized, and sold at a loss, you got it right.

sometimes apple haters look worse then apple lovers

Honestly, resolution independence would resolve people's concerns with the small text... If only they would get their act together and get it working properly. I think they're forgetting that they're going to need the co-operation of devs to actually make it successful, too. No one likes seeing blurry or pixelated bitmaps.

If they doubled the density and kept the physical size the same you shouldn't see any blurry images, although in comparison to 1:1 rendered content they'd be less clear.

It should look exactly the same as it currently does, some stuff should just be clearer.

After Retina Displays everywhere, there will be no more need to upgrade the resolution of anything, we?ll be pretty much at our maximum? It reminds me of when they introduced 32-bit-color monitors for example, to replace these 256-color monitors, there?s no need to add more colors to monitors since that time.

We?re living in a very cool era, because we?re gradually attaining everything we?d ever need in terms of technology.

The only urge at this point will be to upgrade the video cards as fast as possible to be able to keep our old graphics at this resolution. And then it?ll be easier for video cards developers because they will focus on graphics upgrades, not resolution upgrades anymore.

They could do what MS did and make it opt-in (On Windows, if the app doesn't mark itself as DPI aware, it renders at the normal res and the DWM scales it to match the resolution of the display)

It's backwards compatible as well, all current apps would just be scaled, new apps would opt in.

I'm aware of the possibilities, my point was however that OS X Lion and many applications simply aren't (fully) ready for a Retina Display. Early adopters could face quite a few interface problems. An application suite like Microsoft Office and Adobe CS exists out of more elements than text alone. Mac OS X can't compensate for pixelated toolbar buttons and such.

After Retina Displays everywhere, there will be no more need to upgrade the resolution of anything, we?ll be pretty much at our maximum? It reminds me of when they introduced 32-bit-color monitors for example, to replace these 256-color monitors, there?s no need to add more colors to monitors since that time.

We?re living in a very cool era, because we?re gradually attaining everything we?d ever need in terms of technology.

The only urge at this point will be to upgrade the video cards as fast as possible to be able to keep our old graphics at this resolution. And then it?ll be easier for video cards developers because they will focus on graphics upgrades, not resolution upgrades anymore.

Indeed, unfortunately we probably have quite a bit to go yet, a resolution of 2880x1800 would only give you a DPI high enough (>300) to be called a retina display if the display was 11 inches or lower diagonally...

Indeed, unfortunately we probably have quite a bit to go yet, a resolution of 2880x1800 would only give you a DPI high enough (>300) to be called a retina display if the display was 11 inches or lower diagonally...

Not necessarily. It has to do with a physical theory in optics called Angular Resolution that applies to the human eye, which says that it has to do with two factors : pixel size, and viewing distance.

Since an iPhone is closer to your eyes than a computer monitor, you need way more DPI on the iPhone.

For example, on my 27" iMac, when I am at the native resolution, at 1 meter away from it, my eyes cannot distinguish the pixels. I haven?t done the math, but in practice I know I can?t view them.

If they implement a Retina Display to it, I will be able to get like 2-4 times closer and still won?t be able to distinguish them.

You use your iMac at a one meter distance? I use it at less than 60 cm and even then you can't see the distinct pixels. I'd have to reduce the distance to about 10 cm in order to be able to.

actually Retina Display.. Or any very high res display should be used to generate better graphics and use the same size per inch.

So in effect. If double resolution displays come out. 4MEGAPIXEL that is. . . Microsoft windows will just need to double the size of every graphic and text and it will look the same but smoother. Just like how its done on the iPhone 4.

People already explained that few pages back. It doesn't change the fact however, that Apple can't compensate for third-party software such as Adobe CS and Microsoft Office. So legacy software that isn't updated in time will look pixelated or completely broken even.

You can get the same effect right now by enabling resolution independence using the developer tools.

People already explained that few pages back. It doesn't change the fact however, that Apple can't compensate for third-party software such as Adobe CS and Microsoft Office. So legacy software which isn't updated in time will look pixelated.

You can get the same effect right now by enabling resolution independence using the developer tools.

He's a PC, need to give him a few more posts to catch up. :rofl: