SC woman sues bar for not checking her ID

In Washington state, people whose employment requires them to serve alcohol must pass a state Liquor Control Board class and examination.

Seriously, if you serve someone who is seriously wasted and they drive off and kill someone, there have been some cases where the bar server/owner are liable to some extent.

The crux of the court case will revolve around whether or not the bar served her knowing she was faced. Additionally, her being underage (and served) at the time isn't going to help the owner of the bar.

I know it's messed up but at least in Washington, alcohol servers really, really check ID to the point of absurdity and if you even stumble and bump into a chair on the way to the head you might not be served anymore. YMMV.

Why do you say that?

Probably because she is a paraplegic now. Although she still could probaby drive - she's not quadriplegic.

For those of you who think this is something new here in the U.S. you need to do a little studying. I remember back in the 50's when the same thing was happening. The only problem is the idiots attempting to sue usally lost. Once the ALCU got involve in the late 60's you started to see more of what is happening today.

She will most likely win this case.

I guess if you rob a bank, and happened to get shot, you should also sue. :laugh:

No no, if I buy a gun and they don't do a background check on me, and then I go rob a bank, I can sue the gun seller because they didn't do the background check which would have prevented me from robbing the bank. If I got shot, I would also sue the police for interfering with my unalienable right to the pursuit of happiness.

This is a bit off topic but is 21 the legal drinking age in all states in the US?

I think it is uniform now across all states, yes.

from wikipedia:

"The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 withholds revenue from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. "

My state (territory at the time) has been 21 all along (~1877) in spite of the changes in the 70's.

She will most likely win this case.

What makes you think she'll win? What she did was illegal and she's old enough to know that she can be held accountable for her actions. The bartender should be fined for serving an underage person but I don't think he/she should be sued because of the actions of another individual.

Probably because she is a paraplegic now. Although she still could probaby drive - she's not quadriplegic.

That was my point. I have a paraplegic co-worker who drives just fine.

What makes you think she'll win? What she did was illegal and she's old enough to know that she can be held accountable for her actions. The bartender should be fined for serving an underage person but I don't think he/she should be sued because of the actions of another individual.

I'll try to find some existing outcomes of this but in Washington, we've had successful suits like this before. There will be liability and while the bar and server may not be found criminally liable, there will undoubtedly be civil action where she will prevail because right at the starting line they served a minor. That's in Washington but I remain certain she'll win most anywhere because society has moved away from personal accountability - at least in the US.

Remember the old lady that successfully sued McDonalds for spilling their oh-so-hot coffee in her own lap, thus scalding herself? Courts aren't interested in personal responsibility any more. I mean, that old lady got the largest fast-food chain in the world to change its coffee temperature. I bet this gal could at least get the bar's name changed to something she likes better :rolleyes: